O/T - Sound/Acoustic Barrier Experience | FerrariChat

O/T - Sound/Acoustic Barrier Experience

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 400SPYDER, Mar 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Bit of a shot in the dark guys - but if you don't ask you don't get.

Just saw an absolutely fantsatic property today - only problem is there is a railway track towards the rear side of the garden - the garden is pretty damn huge but you can still hear/see trains at this time of year.

Anyone had any experience with sound/acoustic barriers or got any suggestions.

Thanks

Kevan

2. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    My aunt's old house had a line to london right at the bottom of it. Wasn't too much of a bother, I think they used triple glazing and stuff.

3. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Bump - Sorry guys but this is becoming very likely now and any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Especially as I've been quoted £4k for the initial survey and the barrier could cost 10x that amount.

4. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

kevan noony is right, triple glazing will reduce noise but not eliminate it, you really go do with putting a floating floor in the house to stop noise from the ground, this should sound proof most of it but not cheap.

5. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Sorry guys didn't explain that the house is listed II* - therefore any form of additional glazing is a no no.

Problem with train noise is not particularly in the house - the barrier I am thinking of erecting is a 2m/3m high fence, similar to those at the side of motorways.

6. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    Hi kev .... i renovated timber sash windows throughout - there are ways and means to reduce noise, despite retaining the "single" glazing.
    I did the work myself but there is a company called "Ventrolla" ... be careful as they are franchised outfits.
    With regards to a barrier, take care .... i know your level of taste, and would imagine the rear garden would be huge, but be wary of placing a barrier along your boundary, if your neighbours have not. You may well incur two lots of noise .... the first as he passes the left hand neighbour, and secondly as he passes your barrier and enters your left hand neighbours' airspace.
    Try for a local authority tree planting grant (bet you've tried that one already).
    cheers, d

7. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    is it a high speed line busy or is it just a norman line ????

8. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    Kevan

My previous house had a railway at the end of the garden (about 200ft long)down a very deep cut. It was totally hidden and the garden had mature trees shielding the area. During the day it wasn't too much of an issue, however, at night when there's less ambient noise to interfere and therefore sound carries much further, it was intrusive, especially when trying to sleep. It's not just the noise, it's also the irritation of the vibration, however gentle. I'd be sure to check the freight movements on the line at night before committing. When I came to sell, it was a big issue and it took several months to fine a buyer.

Had a similar problem with Concord over my flat in Fulham, used to make conversation impossible on Sunday afternoon as it went over.

jg

9. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    The line is what I'd guess you'd call normal. Its about 120m from the house as it emerges from a cutting.

Trains start at about 6am and finish at 1am - outside of peek times there appears to be only a couple of trains an hour - 74 trains per day(both directions) with a reduction at weekends.

The main problem we encountered was the freight train on our last viewing - which must have been 200m long and the noise was unbelievable - we were in the garden at the time ! We are told there are only 3 of these a week - although I have been unable to corroborate this.

Dave there are no neighbours between us and the line so would there still be a danger of two lots of noise ? - say boucing back of the other side of the cutting.

JG this house has been around for a time and is at least 25% less than similar properties, It was owned by both William Pitts and dates back to the mid 15th century - to say it is a magnificent country house is an understatement - it really is a dream house - I just don't want the noise issue to be a nightmare!

Thanks guys for all your comments - good or bad they are most welcome.

Cheers Kevan

10. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    If it were me, think I'd walk away. It's obviously a lot cheaper because of that railway line - this implies it is difficult to live with - if not it wouldn't be so cheap, given the history.

I would only buy on the basis that I could put up with existing noise levels. If you were reliant upon reducing the noise and your attempts failed, you're stuck with a house you don't like and won't be able to sell (the house has already been around for a time, despite being 25% less than similar properties).

Is it vacant? Any chance you could live in it for a day/night to find out?

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Kev,
    any chance of a link to the property? Being nosey ;)

12. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    I'm nosey too, I love property almost as much as cars...

Kevan, I'm sure if you post a link we will all promise not to bid up the price!

13. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

good call mate its all about location ,location, location

14. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    locomotive locomotive locomotive you mean

15. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    #15 400SPYDER, Mar 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive

It looks magnificent!

I SAID, IT LOOKS MAGNIFICENT !

You probably couldn't hear me 'cos of the train going past!

17. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    trains dont look like they bother the horses in a few months you wont notice them as i lived 100yds from a very busy train line years ago and it didnt bother me

18. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    And all that SMOKE from the steam engine.....chuff, chuff

:D:D

19. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Jesus Kev; that is spectacular. If the price is right, buy some earplugs!

20. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Simply stunning .

21. acpes

acpes Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    west 12cylinderville
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Kev,
    in the first pic, is that one of Adnaan's subs sticking it's periscope up through the lawn?:D Looks like it's a bit close to the sea as well M8;)

22. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    kevan do you want to adopt me as a son

23. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name: