which one? | FerrariChat

which one?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by smg2, Mar 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    okay, i'm trying to decide on a fun little track car. my choices are very different but the same if that makes any sense.
    Lotus Elise/Exige
    Cobra MKII

the lotus would be loads of fun and smooth, where as the cobra would be brutal and scary. i have the running gear for a cobra build so thats why it's on the list. i can't get a bead on the exige and if its available state side or not. for the track they probably would turn simaliar times once you got used to them. the power to weight ratio is in favor of the cobra, so driving with the rear would be a problem.

anyone have any insight to this? any first hand experiance with either car?

thanks

2. sampson

sampson Karting

Dec 22, 2004
    near Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Matt
    No experience, but the Cobra is much cooler. Excessive power + small car = great American car. Remember, too much power is almost enough.

3. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Cobra, definitly. Its an awsome car, looks awsome, hauls serious ass. And you will be the envy of some people at the track.

4. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    i say for a track-car the elise would be more fulfilling because you would be able to carry more speed through the turns. It's a fully modern, super-refined, naturally balanced sports car. I think the cobra would get old on the track after a while honestly. Save that one for cruising main street.

5. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #5 Alex_V, Mar 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    that is nice but just outside the cost limit for a toy. with 2 kids the college fund is slighty more important. I have two gaps to fill i want to get a track toy since i no longer have the time to campaign full season so it'll be drive to the track drive home. and a new daily driver that isn't a 2 seater vert, i already have one. otherwise i'd get both, but my boys would complain that someone has to stay home with mom. the hunt continues.

for the "to much power is almost enough", the engine sitting in the garage spits out 650hp and 700ft/tq. now if the internals could handle it i'd strap a blower on it and go for 1200hp but a grenade sitting only inch's from you isn't fun.

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's kinda weird you'r comparing the two because just last night I got out one of my older Car and Drivers(July 2004) and decided to read through some of it and there front page article is a comparision between the MKII, Elise, Miaita, S2000 and Catarham seven to see which is the best track car.

The Cobra actually get's dead last in it because of the Awfull handling "on all but glass smooth pavement" and it's "a strictly dry weather car." Also they make a comment about it's "spooky steering" one of the testers even called it frightening, they say that you turn the wheel an inch the Cobra would dart to the ditch in a way that was outof proportion to the input. And also they commented on how when you brake on anyhting but a smooth surface things can get a little dicey because the suspension is just so stiff it would start skipping. But they liked the exhaust note and of course the power surge from punching it down to the floor.

As for the Lotus it got first place. The bad things they have to say about it are you'll feel any small bump on the surface you drive on, and the interior noise is a bit much (but who cares about that on a track car.) They also say that since it's a short wheel based, mid-engined, and rear weight biased car it can have a little oversteer problem if you drive it wrong. The good things they say about it are of course it's handling (1.06g skidpad as opposed to the cobras 1g even.) It's insane handling, and it's ability to get up and go.

If it was me I'd probally choose the Lotus. But it would be a hard choice between the two since I just love that throaty sound an American car produces.

Numbers--
    MKII 0-60--3.6 seconds
    Lotus 0-60--4.4 seconds.
    MKII 1/4 mile--12.3@113
    Lotus 1/4 mile--13.2@104
    MKII Weight--2062 pounds
    Lotus Weight--1930 pounds
    I wish they did 60 feet times on these tests.

Also the engine on the Cobra they had was modified. It had new Headers, heads, intake manifold, and a new cam.
    And yes the Lotus is available in the States. It just weigs 150 pounds more then the Euro version.