Many Trs for sale? | FerrariChat

Many Trs for sale?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by KershIrl, Mar 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KershIrl

KershIrl Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Are there many Private sale TRs out there at the minute. I know Verdi/rossocorsa etc have one or two, but I cant seem to find any private sales on the net, I will be ready to buy as soon as I sell my gto/300zxTT and 911sc, but the same Trs are for sale now as last October, I take it they dont change hands often. Help anyone? Thanks,

2. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    I see what you mean m8 they're all Trade in the Auto-Trader, 15 of them.

3. KershIrl

KershIrl Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    hmmmmm, I was wondering if you guys knew of any, cheers for the reply.

4. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    I don't know of any myself, when I was looking 2 years ago there was a lot more around.

Sorry mines NOT for sale at any price

:D :D :D

5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
  6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I like that F**N car Steve, i get a hard on every time i see the pics. The boss has a F430 spider on order which sould be comming with in the next two months to put in his gararge/hanger, he to loves the pics of your car to, and if a 512 comes his way he will have one also in his gararge/hanger.

7. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    hey is that the car only or me and the car ?????

8. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Er, sorry dude i was not making my self clear. YOU mate but the cars OK.

9. Frank512

Frank512 Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Frank Marconi
    Personally, I don't think that buying a TR series car privately is a great idea, even if it has a full service history. When something goes wrong on these cars, you can bet it's going to cost a large pile of £££s (or in your case perhaps €€€'s). That's my experience anyway, and I haven't even had anything major go wrong yet.

If you buy from a reputable dealer, at least you can be sure that (a) It's been thoroughly inspected and faults rectified and (b) If anything does go wrong that should have been addressed, they'll stand by their work and put it right.

Incidentally, I was down at Kent High Performance Cars last weekend, and they have quite a selection of nice TRs for sale.

10. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    what goes wrong with a 512 tr they dont have any known faults and the dealer is only as good as the warranty that they sell you
    Where do you think the dealer buys them from this is the biggest load of rubbish that i have ever read on fchat
    Anyway as my car is worthless in a private sale a bad buy wont let dealer buy it then sell it on so its free to a good home

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Yes please

12. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Totally Agree Steve

What good is a 3 month warranty if the bugger goes wrong in 4.

Also ive had mine 2 years and apart from servicing and cam belts nothing has needed doing.

They are exceptional cars, and Steve, I would by yours privately if I had the wonga......

:D:D

13. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Utter nonsense buying from a dealer guarantees you peace of mind - not on a car as old as the TR - maybe a 1yr old car yes.

Bought a 944 Turbo from an extremely well known P-car independent when I was a young lad in early nineties, steering rack went a month after I got it - warranty company threw the claim out as wear and tear they said - pointless having the warranty, and the dealer weren't interested either.

My 993 had loads of niggles, again dealer fixed some, but some I ended up doing myself as I couldn't be arsed to argue with them for months and months.

Bought my 355 privately, got a good inspection, and all is well one year down the road.

I guess by SteveF's reckoning though, I have got 1/3 less chance of things going wrong than his though :D

14. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    I hope you don't mind me making a comment. Firstly, I successfully claimed back the cost of an extended warranty after an engine ran a bearing on me in France. So do threaten to sue if you feel that the claim is reasonable.

Secondly, any dealer selling you a car has, by (European) law to provide you with a 6 month warranty as part of the deal.

Thirdly, I know several dealers who'd sell you a car that they have on SOR and if you haggled down the price, would agree that price on the proviso that the car comes without any sort of warranty. In that situation, if the contract you sign with them states this fact, you'd have no comback.

Finally, there's a nice sounding 512TR lhd on ebay. The guy seems honest (but used to be a classic car dealer!) and I think the car could be bought for around the £40k mark....

15. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    40 Grand for left hooker is too much

:eek: :eek:

Sorry I didnt see it was a 512TR, thought it was a Testa :(

16. Frank512

Frank512 Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Frank Marconi
    Steve, I would like to think that you are not being entirely serious in your comment above. I gave my personal opinion based on personal experience, that's all, and a personal attack of this nature is hardly merited. Besides, based on the postings on this forum over the last few months, modesty simply does not permit me to lay claim to being the originator of the 'Biggest load of rubbish' on fchat ever. There are far too many contributors more deserving of that title than I.

Anyway, I stand by my opinion. The fact that there are no 'Known' faults related to this tipo is not particularly relevant, since the things that would particularly concern me as a private purchaser are the 'Unknown' ones, specific to a particular car. The known ones, I can research and budget for.

To my mind, there are three good reasons to purchase from a dealer. One is that you acquire legal rights under the sale of goods act. The second is the post sale warranty, which as you correctly point out may or may not be honoured as you might wish. The third is that a respectable dealer will ensure that the car is sorted and tidied up before sale. I accept that not all dealers are as scrupulous as they should be in this respect, but that does not invalidate my point, rather it emphasises the importance of selecting a good dealer.

I bought my car from a respected independent. A large sum of money was spent bringing the car up to scratch prior to sale and resolving many minor but expensive issues that a private seller would probably not have bothered with, and which I as an inexperienced private purchaser would not have spotted. Despite this, there were a few residual problems which were resolved without question. I suspect a private seller would not have been so accommodating.

I would be hesitant to buy a Ferrari privately, unless I knew the seller and their attitude to maintenance and care of their cars, or was prepared to engage an expert to go over the car and then haggle with the owner.

17. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    To put it another way then would you rather buy a car from someone who has owned it for 3 years for say 30 grand or the same car from a dealer who has owned it for a few weeks who tells you its a great car for 40 grand as the dealer knows nothing about the last 3 years of its history and sticks a used car warranty on it
    so you would not by my ferrari from me but if i sold it to a dealer you would buy it from him for a lot more money i find this amazing

18. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Good post Frank.

Though for example, stevef will want about £55k for his car. There are 2 very similar cars at independents for £67k and £70k. Depends how much the peace of mind is worth to you.

19. Frank512

Frank512 Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Frank Marconi
    No, that would be stupid. There would be a world of difference in buying your car (Which from the nature and content of your many postings on fchat I would have some confidence is diligently maintained and in excellent condition) and buying a car from someone advertising in, say, topmarques because the maintenance is getting too much and has patched and polished it up for sale.

Similarly if buying from a dealer, I flatter myself that I would not fall for the 'Luvly car guvnor, only one lady owner....' line either. If the dealer is worth their salt (easily checked, e.g. on the fchat 'Dealer experiences' thread) and values their reputation then I would be inclined to accept, in conjunction with full history (preferably stamped by that dealer), invoices, etc. etc. that when they tell me the car is fully sorted, it probably is. If not, I may only have a few months to get things sorted, but that's better than the 'Sold as seen' basis for a private sale.

20. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    yes but private sale cars are usually cheaper than dealers cars so if you have it inspected you should know where you stand and not all dealers are good dealers when it comes to spending money out of the profit but i suppose i look at it different from you as i am capable of fixing them ie put a clutch in my car but would not do a belt service
    but from my experiance with the ferrari's that i have owned a 12 cylinder over 3 years is not much dearer than a 355 yes a 328 and 348 is lots cheaper it also depends on what you are buying and how new the vechicle is why buy a year old 360 from a dealer as it still has 2 years warranty left by ferrari
    sorry if you found my first reply a bit strong and offensive

21. KershIrl

KershIrl Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Thanks for the interesting replies, showing both sides of the argument, when I go to buy my TR, I will get thorough inspection done on the car, as I fall into the category of 'buy private but make sure you get it checked', rather than pay dealer costs, that said...RossoCorsa have one for 30k, and there are a few about for 30-38k.

22. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    Firstly, it is surely impossible that "this is the biggest load of rubbish that [you've] ever read on Fchat", because until recently there was little but rubbish on here.

Secondly, I'm sure many of you will recall the thread about the chap who was unhappy about his car from Verdi. As I recall Verdi fixed the car as a goodwill gesture. Presumably he did this because he values the goodwill of his customers and his reputation in the market. How would the chap who bought that car have fared if Tony H had phoned a private vendor on his behalf? I suspect the guarantee lasts until the cheque clears in that case. Dealers are a necessary evil in illiquid markets, use one that values their reputation and you dramatically reduce (but do not eliminate) the risk of buying a cr@p and expensive car.

23. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    George Akerlof won the 2001 Nobel Prize for Economics for explaining how the second hand car market works with assymetric information. See "The Market for Lemons".

It turns out that you are right to be amazed - what actually happens in markets where the seller knows the quality of a product better than the buyer, who thinks it may be "A Lemon", is that classical micro-economic theory breaks down badly. i.e. Price is NOT determined by Supply and Demand. Ever wondered why Ferarri prices move like they do? These's a PhD in it at least.

jg

24. Frank512

Frank512 Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Frank Marconi
    No problem. Sorry if my original posting appeared to be casting aspersions about your car, or the fact that you are selling it privately. That was certainly not my intention, but I can see how it could be construed as such.