Tires Mounted & Balanced in NYC | FerrariChat

Tires Mounted & Balanced in NYC

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by notoboy, Mar 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey Guys,
    I DESPERATELY need new rear tires on the 355. Had a lot of fun doing burnouts, but its time for new tires before I get into trouble.

Where do I get tires professionally mounted and balanced in NYC without paying an arm and a leg? I know a couple places, but:

1. My friend got raped by a specific exotic car dealer in NYC for mounting
    2. Got TR done 3 times at different places around town this past year, bc first 2 didn't do a good job

Note: I'm buying the tires at TireRack.

Who do I use?

2. luigibosco

luigibosco Karting

Jan 28, 2005
    Westchester County NY
    if you're willing to take a nice little drive on the island...Costco in Westbury. I'm not kidding, they torque the wheels to spec. But better call first to make sure they'll work on the car at all. As an alternate, there is Best Tire on Northern Blvd in Great Neck. I also had tires changed at a Mavis in White Plaines, but Id have to look at amap to see which one.

3. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    u should try this ghetto little small dive i went to get my front tires changed at. i went with chris. he knows the joint in Long Island

costed $20 a tire, so $40 total.

4. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    David,
    1) Best Tire in Great Neck. Comes out to about $38 each, for mounting and blancing, all finished. Expensive, but never focks up, can handle big rims with lip.
    2) Costco in Westbuery. Comes out to $8 finished. Might fock up(did scrtach my 19's on M3 a bit), but should be able to handle 18's on the F355.
    3) RPM racing. Dont know how much, but guess will be between the above 2 options, quality work, never focks up.

I see you are getting ready for the run :)

5. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    dood that was out of option and we got put into the situation without choice.
    aint going there even in bright daylight if i have alternative :)

6. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.
    What situation? What was his NaMe? Muhaahaaa

7. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    da name b John :D

8. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.

haha

9. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Doesn't Gus at Technik1 have the right mounting equipment? I only assume because he deals with wheels and mods. Maybe he outsources...just thought I would throw it out there.

10. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Ask Pchop. He was very happy with the deal and service he just got for some new tires on the 550. ;)

11. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch

Gus must have the right equipment!! He re-finished one of my rims back in January, and to do that requires removing the tire (right?). Check with Gus!!
    Also, Dave, check with WHEELFANATICS.COM on the tires. Tetsuo Honda is the man and his price was better than tireracks for tires on my TR!!
    WWW.WHEELFANATICS.COM

12. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    No reason to trek out to LI or NJ just for a simple tire mounting...

Believe it or not, there's a sketchy little place on the corner of 24th st & 11th (you've all seen it -- it's right where 11th forces you to make a left or continue to the west side highway).

Gus suggested I go there a while back, and they did the 360's wheel fine.

Remember, it's just a tire & wheel -- no rocket science to it, no reason to go to a specialty shop, as long as they have the right equipment to balance and they don't scratch the rim.

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Since you're shopping at the Tirerack it sounds like price is your major consideration.

I shop there as well but be prepared for quality tire installers to not like it.

You can deal with this a couple of ways. Buy the tires from your installer or be willing to pay extra to have them installed by someone that really knows what they're doing.

If you're not particular go with the most reasonable place.

I've done this every which way and have given up on the cheap route. They either damage the rim externally or internally or aren't as finicky about the balancing proceedure and it really matters. I'm also tired of hearing installers tell me that a torx stick and an impact wrench is as good as hand torquing them. I don't want an impact wrench on my wheels even when they're removed. It's just too easy to damage things and then you're pissed. Who needs that? I also want a decently trained person doing this not a minumum wage 1 week wonder kid.

I've been using EuroTire in Fairfield NJ on Route 46. They are NOT cheap. They are good and know their stuff. One of the owners was down at Sebring working with Pirelli last weekend. They put my slicks on at the beginning of last year and never left a mark on freshly painted mag rims. Every other installer during the season "left their mark". I'm now having the rims refinshed and Euro tire dismounted them gratis because I go there regularly.

They charge me extra when I bring my own tires and I have to accept that because of the service they provide.
    It's all about qualified service. If you're not willing to pay for it don't think you're entitled to it.

I'm sure there are other "real" pros like this in the NYC Metro area and I'd like to know about them.

But mounting $200+ tires on light alloy $1K 18" rims at Costco? You may get lucky and have the right guy there but what happens when next time it's not like that. Don't encourage people to make dumb decisions like that. How about Pep Boys or WalMart?

Just my 2 cents. I change a lot of tires every year and I hate paying a lot to do it but a bad job just ends up being even more expensive.

Bob S.

14. RET38

RET38 Rookie

Dec 10, 2004
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    TRY FERRARI MASERATI of CENTRAL NJ. GREAT FACILITY, GOOD PEOPLE. NOT FAR FROM NYC.

15. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    how about manhattan motor cars?

16. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    They did my friend's tires, scratched two rims and charged and arm and a leg for the mount/balance. I really don't know the dealership, so I can't talk to it; this is just what I was told.

- Costco is NOT an option for me - too far and worried abt the service.
    - The place on 24th and 11th might be good - I'll have to check it out first.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still not sold on any one place, and going outside NYC would force me to take a half day off work - not likely.

If you know any other good places in Manhattan, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    David

17. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    how about autoelite in fort lee. he is very good.

18. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Was hoping to find something on Manhattan island so I wouldn't have to miss any work. Otherwise, there are many choices. Thanks for the ideas however.

19. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    EuroTire in Fairfield NJ which is not too far outside NYC is the best place. They have been doing wheels and tires on Euro's esp F-cars and P-cars for years. They do many of the tech inspections for PCA. They have been working on our cars for years and the only ones that will touch my TR or any of our collectables. They are open on Sat. Ask for Chris or Bill and tell them I sent you.

20. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Eurotire is near me.....about 30 miles from NYC outside of Dave's range.

I've passed by them for years & always wondered.
    But since I've read a couple of posts....I'll have to check them out :)

21. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003

autoelite is open on Sat.

22. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Wait a sec, no one knows ANY PLACE in NYC to get tires reliably mounted and balanced other than Manhattan Motor Cars???

23. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Honestly speaking, David, I would think MOST of tire places anywhere can do the job. It's 18" wheel, with no lip, as long as the place has newer mounting machine and the guy knows how to work it, it really should be easy. I would even get it done at Pepboy's but I dont know if there is one in Manhattan.

24. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Gus, someone alluded that you could handle this. Can you?

25. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    gus is too busy now with the javits car show probably.

but its strange that there is not 1 good well-known tire place in the city, considering how many exotic cars there are in manhattan