Help, throttle sticking open on my 308. | FerrariChat

Help, throttle sticking open on my 308.

Discussion in '308/328' started by PerryJ, Mar 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #1 PerryJ, Mar 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After I get the car warmed-up and head out on to the highway, by the time I get to the first stop light the throttle is getting
    stuck open (at about 4,000 rpms) and I have to drive home this way, people look at you funny when you sit through a whole light change at an intersection and the rpms are at 4,000 the whole time !

When I shut the car off and look at the engine, it appears that the (throttle cable assembly doesn't go all the way back up the meet the vertical screw at the idle position, sorry if I didn't explain this well but I don't know all the name for the parts. Here are some pics, I hope it helps, see how there is a gap in between the screw and the cable puller thing. I can manually close it and it returns to the normal 1,000 rpm idle. But as soon as I drive it, it hangs again. Any thoughts ?????????????

Thanks !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferraristyle

ferraristyle Karting

Jan 7, 2005
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I don't own a Ferrari as of yet, so I don't know if my advice will help, but I had the exact same problem happen to my Porsche Boxster which has a similar set-up as pictured.

My problem was where my thottle cable met the accelerator pedal. The cable had fallen off it's guide, which was on in the bottom of the car, and thus was hanging up the thottle. I had to take off my entire aceleratior pedal to fix the problem, but at $90/hour for my Porsche mechanic I will try to fix something first before I take it to him.

This is more than likely (I would think) the problem with your car. What I would do if I was you would be to retrace the cable from the throttle assembly, under your car, to your accelerator pedal. More than likely you will find a place were the cable is hung up or off track.

Also make sure your spring on the thottle assembly is functioning poperly.

Like I said before I don't own a Ferrari yet, but just trying to make a comparison between a past experience.

3. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Judging by the third picture above, it appears that there is slack in the throttle cable which would rule out the above theory although its a good one.
    My suggestion would be to rotate the throttle bell crank (the part not touching the screw thingy) by hand and feel if it rotates freely.
    Your engine looks extremely clean. Like possibly it has been degreased and detailed recently. You see where I`m going with this....
    You probably just need to lube the throttle pivot with oil or moly lube.
    Spray some WD40 or penetrating oil on it and rotate it several times by hand.
    If that corrects the problem, it would be a good idea to use a more permanent solution by greasing it with white lithium grease.
    Improper spring tension could also cause the above condition.

Rule out the simple stuff first.

Good luck,
    John

4. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    Perry

I had this same problem. I checked the usual things, carpet, throttle cable, and anything else I could think of. No luck. Not to mention my problem would come and go. Really frustrating. The pics you have are exactly what I was looking at. I finally found the problem. Under the intake manifold directly behind where the throttle cable comes out of the manifold and connects to the throttle linkage, there is an adjustment screw. The throttle cable goes right thru it. You can just see it if you look under the manifold from the drivers side. Kind of behind the oil filter. It takes out the slack on the outer portion of the throttle cable. The outer part of the cable has a tip that fits into the adjustment screw. Mine was just a little loose so the cable would just slide off sometimes and take out the slack in the cable not allowing the throttle cable to fully relax thus leaving the throttle open just a little bit. If you have tried everything else, this may be your problem. Good luck!

Bill

5. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    spray it on the rolling pin that rides in the crecent shaped hole ?

I'll also check the screw under the manifold, the cable ( I think it is loose, floppy if you will, when relexed) should it be taunt ? I'll check again in the am.

6. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Yet ANOTHER person relating a "I had this problem and it was..."!

On my carb 308, the cable was frayed where it went into the sheath at the adjustment/mounting boss at the engine. As such, when I went to WOT it would hang up on the frayed cable. Put a brick on the pedal and take a look at the cable where it comes out of the sheath at the engine end.

7. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Hockem's Razor...Check your floormats.

Oh and Don, I did have this happen on my car.

8. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I just got back from the shop, it seems the flow valve inside the manifold intake was gummy and just needed cleaning out, a little spray carb cleaner and a few paper towels and she's running like a champ !

it's 70 and sunny here FINALLY so I'm headed out to "excercise" her !!

Thanks for all the inputs !

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Great -- glad it was simple. It probably took International Motors mechanic Mike G. hardly any time at all to get it figured out for you...

10. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    yeap no time to fix the car (maybe 5 mins), time talking cars 2 hrs ;) haha

That man cracks me up, sure knows the cars though,

Oh yeah Mike, I'm at the Shell filling up today on airport rd. and this younger guy comes up and starts chatting about the car, and he said, "some else here has a car just like this, because I used to work at the dominos pizza on the south end and this guy used to come by all the time in one just like this a pick up a pizza in the drive-thru"

I said yeap, I bet I know him ;)

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You'd be right!!!