Lotus Elise... | FerrariChat

Lotus Elise...

Discussion in 'British' started by bostonmini, Mar 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Thoughts and opinions? everytime I think its just not practical enough, or would get boring...I see one and man, sooo cool. Anyone else like these? Im really curious as to how they compare to my car, a Cooper S, bc while Im sure the limits are much higher, I wonder if they are similar in their very tight steering etc.....anybody have any clues?

2. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    test drove one in person....
    bigger than in the picture
    performance wise, i think it's the best car for $50k

3. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I test drove one too. Nice car but from reports I've read it has lousy headlamps, lousy range, lousy weatherstripping and it's very fragile.

Certainly a great Sunday morning fun car but it might be a bit too annoying and impractical as a daily driver.

If they would throw in modern HID headlamps and a larger fuel tank, the other problems would be much more tolerable. But because of the impending model change in a couple of years, I doubt they'll be changing anything on this model.

4. caps8419

caps8419 Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    michael
    i got a ride in one the other day, not quite as fast off the line as i would have thought for a light car but once its goin its quite nice. nice sounding too.

-mike

5. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I drove one recently, absolutely incredible. The steering is like no other car Ive ever driven (Enzo excluded). It drove easily and felt very docile, but step on the gas a bit more and it feels like a race car...light, agile, and LOADs of grip. I didnt find it underpowered at all...In fact, I didnt have a single complaint about the car...found it damn near perfect. It IS, however, a very small car. That can be problematic if you are a bigger person or plan on taking a lot of passengers with you.

As much as I am a die-hard tifosi, I would get an Elise over any other Ferrari under 50k. A 328 might be a close call, but I would still doubt my decision for practicality reasons.

6. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon

You will never get bored with an elise. If you do, you are bored of life :D Even the early 125hp version are an absolute hoot to drive.

You are right about them not being practical. They bang and rattle over every bump. They are cold and draughty and getting in with the roof on is difficult if you are over 5'10. Luggage room is just about enough for one weekend bag (perhaps two at a stretch). But every morning, when you are about to drive to work and one of the choices is an elise, I'll guarantee you'll find yourself jumping in the lotus on all but the worst days. I had one as a daily driver for a few weeks and I have 2 friends who use theirs daily for the trip to work, even in snow.

Best buy one now, enjoy it through summer and autumn before the snow in Boston is deeper than the car :D

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    thanks guys! i had no problem fitting at 5'10, but I wont say getting in is fun! and I hope its a lot more visceral than the Mini, and Im not naive enough to put them in the same class; just that the Mini feels like it couldnt handle any better haha. and fragile? A toyota engine? hmm.....now we just need the 240R package in the US and were all set;)

8. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    It's not the engine that's fragile. It's everything else! Lots of interesting posts on the popular Elise sites about this. Just search for the word "fragile" and see what some owners are experiencing! They seem to use that word a lot...

9. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    My opinion on the Elise. It's a great car. There isn't too much that can go wrong, and the engine is already proven in the celica. You'll have an exotic that should be pretty reliable with low running costs.

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    actually you are wrong about the engine...toyota had major problems with that engine, ? though to be due to engine temps too high , i believe...lotus modified the engine to hopefully fix the problem and also added extra hp....the car is basic and not much to go wrong with it ,...but lotuses in the past were hardly knowed for there stout contruction but this has a very ridgid aluminum chassis...it is more of a go cart than a car...but for anyone with a sore back, a chiropracter on retainer is a must!!!!the ride is very rough and the car is very loud, and you are not getting the great lambo or ferrari exhaust note, i personally would find the car very annoying for any kind of commuting..it would be a track or sunday am mountain road drive car...

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    As I am wont to do from time to time, I put "Lotus" in the search box on Google News...

Page 1 of 2 - includes improved drive around Mt. Baldy, for you SoCalians
    http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102007

Link to ForcedFed, coming out with 275 hp Turbo package on April 1 (of all days)
    http://forcedfed.com/

In other "recent" Lotus News - Esprit Buyer's guide of sorts
    http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12930-1541867,00.html

Versatile Vehicle Architecture
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102030

12. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I am selling parts to these guys. We have talked a lot to them and a bunch of local Elise owners have ridden in it. Said it is a sweet set up. We shall see.

My thoughts on this car----They are mixed at best. I guess seeing the cars at their worst kind of changes your mind on things. As far as drving, what a GREAT car.

may want to look on

www.elisetalk.com

R

13. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mike forgot to mention that there was water on the ground and I wasn't launching it ;) (I'll give you a better ride at the Lotus karting event if we get some dry, warm weather which will be far more friendly with my tires).

Yoko A048 + cold = slippery.
    Yoko A048 + cold + wet = scary.

But yea, it could use more power for sure. Other than that, I love it.

The ForceFed turbo kit is promising... as is the SC from Lotus which could possibly be offered as an option for the Elise.

If you can handle the lack of practicality, go for it... you won't be disappointed. I've wanted one since I was 14... and now that I have one, I can say that it was well worth the wait.

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I've driven a euro spec Exige (with the I belive 190hp Rover motor), and a US spec Elise (with the toyota motor)

The US version, even with the noticible extra weight, was somewhat refined compared to the racecar Exige. Neither is an S600 (or even a Z3.) by any streatch of the imagination.

The motor in the US car is damned annoying. Power comes on SUDDENLY and HARD at 6000rpm and is good to 8000rpm. 2000rpm powerband, not so hot. It feels like a way peaky turbo motor.

Most drivers probally don't see north of 6grand in this car though, it is that light nimble and fast.

Needs the Acura motor IMO, or tweak the variable camshaft to come in at more like 4500rpm and more gradually.

The chassis dynamics are the best in any road car I've ever driven. This is a go-kart on wheels and somehow road legal. It's a hoot.