Mondial Fuse Panel Help Needed! | FerrariChat

Mondial Fuse Panel Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by NC Mondial, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl
    As I chronicled in another thread I have been chasing running problems in my 1982 Mondail. The major problem, starting to run like crap after warming up fully, has been solved by several CIS adjustments and vacuum leak repairs. Now that the major problem is gone the secondary problem has moved to the forefront.

Problem now is the car runs fine UNTIL the lights are turned on. Specifically the side marker lights / dash lights. I narrowed it down to those by pulling fuses until I got to the one that controls the marker/dash lights. Pull that fuse and it runs fine with the other lights on. The symptoms are very similar to the previous problem, bucking, no power unless under full power (floored).

I checked and there is no voltage drop at the coils or fuel pump when the lights are turned on and all ground connections I can find have been cleaned.

As part of my effort to trace the problem I removed the fuse box. The PO had replaced the original fuse box with one from a 3.2 Mondail with blade fuses which “should” be much better. After taking the actual circuit panel out of the assembly I can see several areas where the printed circuit board appears to have delaminated (several layers have separated). The actual problem might not be in the fuse box but I have to think the delamination can’t be a good thing.

Has anyone seen a similar problem and what did you do? Do you think there might be a chance of fixing the printed circuit board and, if so, who might be able to do it.

In checking with Ferrari UK and Rutlands it appears the entire assembly has been discontinued so it seems my choices are 1. Find a good used one or 2. Find someone with a new one in stock.

Any insight, suggestions???

Many Thanks,

Paul

2. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    My electronics guy is creating a new split fuse box, i.e. 2 smaller boxes, (for my 2 1984 Mondials) with spare (extra) lines for additional circuits, however my brief to him was to make it so that the original plugs on the loom would plug straight in. The intention was primarily to have more flexibility for locating the fuse box(es) but also to use modern electronics.

He is making me 10 units, I will be using 2 on my coupe & cabriolet. I don't know if your box is the same as the QV but if it is you can either have one of my old boxes when I have the new installed or you can go for one of my new paired system.

3. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Paul,
    The same thing happened to my printed circuit board in my '88 3.2 Mondial. Once the delamination starts it can't be repaired. Either find a good used one or buy a new one for about $1500.00.

I think Wide World of Cars in Spring Valley, NY had one in stock. Call Dean Romer @ 845-425-2600 x247.

Good luck.

Tom

4. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl
    Zertec,
    I really like the idea of the new boxes. Any idea when he will have them ready for you?

Tom,
    I will check with Dean on Tuesday and see if he still has a new one in stock.

Thanks,

Paul