Finding my Dads Dino | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Finding my Dads Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by PaulK, Mar 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I contacted the Ferrari Owners club today.

They "used to have" all of their members in a book that they published every other year, including VIN and/or serial number.

They don't have them anymore becasue of a flood some years back.

BUT, I BET THERE ARE SOME Ferrari Owners Club members here who might still have their books from the '70's.

time to put a call out on general board for FOC members from the 70's.

DM

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I dont know yet. The first thing to do is to find it first.

Awsome, I need to find someone that owned Ferraris in the 70s now. That is a good lead. Thank you for you help and calling them. Please let me know the results.

3. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    The shop in Port H. may have been Terry Myr 810-367-3965

4. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

What's the last year your Dad owned the car??

I have a line on a 77-78 FOC directory, and want to know if that might contain his name.

Dave M.

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It might contain his name. My dad said he bought the car around 72-73, and had it for about 5 years. Its worth a shot...
    What do you mean when say you have a line on it?

Thanks very much for the number. I tried calling it but no one picked up. I called at 1:50. Maybe he went out to lunch? I'll have to try again later.

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Spoke with the owner of the '77 directory.

Paul's dad is not listed in that directory, and all the other ones he owns are newer.

However, I'm gonna try and pick up this copy, it seems to have some interesting historical data in it anyway.

So, time to dig around and look for earlier copies.

DM

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Writerguy's suggestions in post 25 were very good. In the same vein, if your father had a will or a trust of some kind, the Dino may have been listed as an asset of his estate, with a serial number on the document. His lawyer might have a copy?

One other possibility - ask your Dad if he advertised the Dino for sale in Autoweek. I have most or all of the issues from the late 70's, I could dig up the ad and see if he listed the serial number - lots of people did. Or perhaps he put it up for sale in the club newsletter?

8. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Talked to Terry today!
    Super nice guy! I must say, he knows his stuff.
    Long story short-
    He said he might have records!!!!!

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I looked though everything yesterday. Nothing. He had it under the dealership though.
    He cant remember how he sold it too.

Man, my dad has a bad memory! How can you not remember every detail of that car?! I guess when you are in the business... it turns into "just a car"

10. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    THE CARS SERIAL NUMBER IS 3052!!

Thank you Terry Myr! Without your archive of records, I couldn't of made this post.

3052! Woohoo!

I looked on dinoregister and its in California?
    So awesome!

11. Matt550

Matt550 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Littleton Colorado
    Full Name:
    Matt M.
    Interesting thread, Good luck with eveything let us know how it turns out!

12. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I tried calling the people that last sold my dads Dino, which is Walnut Creek Ferrari in Walnut Creek, CA. The phone says I reached a non-working number in Wells Cargo?
    2697 North Main Street Walnut Creek CA 94596

How else can I get the vin? Call Ferrari?

13. H Payne

H Payne Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Paul K.
    Wow, I havn't heard the name Krajenke since Krajenke Buick went out of business.
    I knew and know Dick Hinson but have lost track of him over the last few years. If anyone has his Email address and or phone numbers I sure would appreciate your sending it on to me, [email protected].
    Todays Detroit Free Press ( June 11) has an article in the Life Section on washing cars and it includes comments and hints from Gary Knhs, a friend and Ferrari owner and Richard Hinson. I got to know both of them when I purchased my 365GT4 2+2, and later became editor of Prancing Horse magazine taking over from Manfred Lampe when he went to Ghia.
    I don't have any photos of Hinson's Dino but I do have a fantastic photos spread of Hinson's 308 GT4, with a nude model in and out of the car. The best photo is looking down through the open sunroof as she reclines across the front seats. I bet she did not hold that pose very long. Richard gave them to me to print in the Prancing Horse. However with the consertive membership the club had in the early 80's I just did not have the nerve to do it.
    Anybody looking for a Ferrari dealership sign or a Pininfarina dealership sign?
    Howard Payne

14. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I owned it from 10/28/1974 until I sold it to Krajenke Buick Leasing dept some time in 1976. My friend Dave Doern and I were friends with Jerry Palmer from GM Design. Jerry said his brother-in-law (your dad) was looking for a Dino. I seem to recall that Jerry came and picked it up at our garage in Highland Park IL.
    I gave it its first repaint and had it apart enough to verify that it was always red, never yellow, and a US model. The confusion could be because those bodies were coated with a thick primer/filler that was yellow in color.
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Were you ever able to get the car?

Richard Smith

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Welcome to the party. :p

An interesting thread and interesting information in regards to it's original colour considering how new the car was at the time.

All great stuff, hopefully the OP is still closing in on this car or has it in his garage. :D

16. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I own 03064 now.... :)

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Congratulations! I once considered the car when Dave Draper owned it in the early 2000's. He was asking $70K! I just emailed Richard Hinson to show him this thread. I haven't had contact with him for years so I hope he answers.

Freeman

18. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Yes that would be cool
    I wish I had bought it in the early 2000's
    Would have saved myself a ton

19. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

This is an 11 year-old thread, that has been resuscitated, and slightly hijacked.

So, what in the end is the story on 3052, the apparent subject of the OP. Did the parties connect?

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

I just received an email back from Richard Hinson:

It was to be the second Ferrari in the garage: 1974 308 GT4 in mint condition. (currently in the collection of Larry Smith) My dream was to have a 6, 8, and 12 cylinder Ferraris: the 12 was to be a 275 GTB Coupe. To my eye, the the Dino was the most graceful, lyrical, purposeful design at the time.

I bought the 1974 Dino GT, serial no. 3064 from Jane Nicklas on September 24, 1984. David Nicklas served as “agent” for mother.
    Color: Rousseau Bordeaux: (Dark Burgundy)
    Odometer: 31096
    Interior: black leather, Dash: grayish, Steering Wheel: Black leather, Door panels: Black Vinyl, Wheels: Cromadora: Early Fiat design with Dino Center; Tires: Michelin 205/70 VR14; Radio: Blauplunkt; Battery: JC Penny. Tool inventory not sure how complete. Manual included. Original keys. (I still have my original key!)
    Price: $22,750
    I have the appropriate documentation for that claim.

My Vehicle Checklist: was very thorough!:
    Bottom Line: No Air, Needs: Battery hold down bracket, Valve adjustment, Deck Bracket rewelded, Front lid light (switches dirty), Need new headlights, Shift ball.

Car sold to David Draper on August 8 1993
    Sale price: $55,000. It included original tools, manuals, maintenance records and contemporaneous publications, miscellaneous Ferrari Dino parts and accessories including 8 Campanula 7-1/2 wheels, unmounted Michelin Tires, plexiglass headlight covers, Alfred Bull Custom car cover.

Note:
    Odometer miles: 33381
    Date of Manufacture: December 1971, as noted on manufacturer data plate on door jam, and confirmed in 1984 by Claudio Squazzini, USA general manager for manufacturer.
    Date on Title: 1974 reflecting when sold by dealer. Delivered to Modern Classic Motors, Reno Nevada on July of 1972.

Draper loved the car. BUT, found that when he was willing to exercise his Ferraris, he always wanted to do it when it was sunny, so he opted for his Ferrari 250 GT LWB Spyder. Which made his Dino superfluous.

Richard Hinson

21. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Freeman current mileage is 55xxx on 3064
    tool kit is complete minus phillips screwdriver
    original key you say.....Id love to have it :)

22. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Chad,

PM me your address and details and I'll ask Richard if he'll ship it to you.

Freeman

23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The Dino was delivered BRAND NEW on 9/28/72 by LeMans Motors.

Shawn

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    03064 correct? (Now that this thread is officially hijacked!) ;-)

Freeman

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    03064, of course, what other Dino would we be talking about? :)

No hijacking that I know of or intended.

Shawn