Shipping Ferrari to Alaska | FerrariChat

Shipping Ferrari to Alaska

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Mule, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I am shipping my 328 to Alaska in May, and having trouble finding a source. Currently, I have been talking to FedEx Critical Care (formerly Passport). I fully trust them on the truck portion, but they say that they take it to the dock and it waits for a boat (outside up to a week). Also, since they are inexperienced at shipping to Alaska, they don't have many details on what occurs enroute.

The car would be driven on to and off of the boat. When it arrives in Anchorage, I go pick it up.

The car is fully insured for the trip, but I don't feel comfartable with their description of the move. Any help?

2. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    Ummmmm

Why dont you drive it?

I drove my 328 from san diego up here (seattle area) with my seven year old and that was great!

3. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I would love to drive it and considered it but:

- Two cars, one driver
    - 4500 miles from here
    - Crossing Canadian and US customs has many "gotchas".
    - No luggage room for 10 days on the road.
    - No place for repair if it breaks.
    - Roads to Alaska are not all paved. I have driven it before and it can really beat up a car.
    - Costs in gas and hotels may outweigh shipping costs.

If I can ship for around $4000, I would be ahead in costs, wear, headache, etc.

4. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Sounds like they're just going to have it driven onto the Alaska Ferry. Consider maybe doing the trip with the car yourself?cabins are still available on a few of the May sailings.

People I know who've ridden this ferry have really enjoyed the trip. From Bellingham, WA, it takes just under 3 days to get to Juneau (2 days, 11 hours). Heck, if I could cram myself into the car long enough to drive it from CO to Bellingham, and off the ferry, and was free on the dates you want to ship the car, I'd come out pickup the car, drive the car to the ferry, and accompany it on the ride myself for $4K.

If you haven't already, check out the Alaska Ferry web site at http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/schedres/index.html

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Eric,
    I am booked on the ferry for June with my truck. The ferry is great, totally relaxing, beautiful scenary. But my biggest problem is still one driver, two cars. The shipper is going to use a commericail ship (not the ferry).

I talked to Fromm America today, who is recommended by Horseless Carriage. They crate the car and ship the whole container to my door. Awaiting the quote on Monday.

6. 0814

0814 Rookie

Jan 23, 2005
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Josh Kincaid

I volunteer to drive it on the ferry for you!!!!! Just get me a plane ticket home to Oregon.....

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Thanks, Josh. How come I keep picturing Dana Carvey in the Richard Pryor movie, "Moving"?

I think actually driving it the whole distance or the ferry are a no go. One of the ferry rules is no low clearance cars or trucks because of the angles on and off. Ferry, car, room to Whittier (near Anchorage) is almost $3000 anyway.

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Truck? What kind of truck. Maybe you could trailer the car, by land or sea. You would have control of the shipping the entire way, knowing the car is being treated well..

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #9 Mule, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The truck is a Yukon and certainly capable of towing the car, but I don't have a trailer, and no one rents one for one way to Alaska.

Easiest would be to get a trailer and tow it onto the ferry (to save about 3000 miles of driving). Adds $2000 to the ferry cost (length), but again no trailer.

I did drive to Alaska once with a trailer and it was painful. $1700 in gas alone, dirt roads, 11 days on the road.

Maybe Roland would trailer it up there in exchange for a fishing trip...

Still hoping Fromm America gives me a decent quote tomorrow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. 0814

0814 Rookie

Jan 23, 2005
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Josh Kincaid
    Hell, I'll pay for the gas, room and food! Just let me drive the car, I swear you will never see me out of the rearview!!!!

11. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    U-haul does I know I worked for them but I don't know if the Trailer would take a F-car

12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I called U-Haul and they said none of their enclosed trailers are for cars due to some DOT regulation.

Fromm America quote is $1100 truck to Seattle and putting it into the container, awaiting boat cost today.

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    If you are in the rearview mirror of my truck, I will be paying for a lot of rock chips. I should get one of those stickers on my truck that says, "Keep 50 feet back".

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If I was you, I'd drive the Ferrari and ship the truck!

15. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I would love to, but see Post #3...

16. 4rebob

4rebob Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Eagle River, Alaska