GT4 wheel well liner | FerrariChat

GT4 wheel well liner

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by miked, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The body shop utilized by my car's PO used pop rivets to secure the fiberglass liners in the rear fenders. I had to drilled out the rivets to remove the liners and want to return to the original type fasteners. The PM doesn't specify the size of the screws (bolts?) and there doesn't appear to have been any captive nuts on the flange that the liner is fastened to. The question is what were the original fasteners, sheetmetal screws or bolts and what size? Were they secured to the flange by just running them thru? My liners don't appear to have any "extra" holes in them so I figure that they just put the rivets in the existing factory holes.
    TIA

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If it was like the 308GTS/GTB and 328 series, it will be a combination of phillips head sheet metal screws and 10mm bolts. I don't recall the combination of what went where. I would imagine you could check it all out on the Ferrari Owner's Site...they have all the exploded diagrams on the vintage parts section.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    They are sheetmetal screws, Philips-head, screwed right through the liner into the fender flange. They are approx. 12mm long, major dia: 4.5mm, minor dia: 3mm, thread pitch approx. 2mm.

4. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    That's what we call PERFECT information!! :)

5. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks Peter
    200 ft. of gravel driveway and no fender liners could be an expensive combination so the liners have to be in before the first drive of the season (that is if the season ever gets here).

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Thanks Roel :)

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    No problem. Hopefully, the bodyshop didn't drill the holes bigger than that, otherwise, you could use bigger screws (the same style), or drill new holes right next to the original ones, or fit those little clips avaliable at auto stores, that secure trim to flanges. I've noticed a few of those used on my fiberglass front undertray.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    BTW, on my cars, the screws where painted black, and each had a black painted, wide fender washer as well.

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I always find a few missing which is scary. I use two small bolts on each side behind the wheel now just in case. I have had to relpace some of the small screws for larger ones in some holes but I take my car apart every week it seems so i think I enlarged them a bit!!! There were just 2 for sale on ebay recently, I almost bought them.

Hi Peter, how it going!!!!!!!

10. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Going great buddy. I haven't heard back from you on that GT4-group thing you talked about a while ago... Anything more on that? Drop me a note:

webmaster at dino-gt4-registry dot com