O/T - Would anyone consider buying an XJ220 | FerrariChat

O/T - Would anyone consider buying an XJ220

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by EK3R, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
  2. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    Yes, he wants £90k for it on his own website! I read somewhere that the Gadget Shop guy owned it - not sure if this is 100% correct though. Apparently their brakes are crap...IIRC the sticker price was £315,000 originally

3. reggie

reggie Guest

isnt the gadget shop going under as the main investor has refused to put anymore money in ?????

As for the XJ220, just not a car i could live. Great value though. I remember Mr Madjeski having one, saying he lost a fortune on its value but he wasnt going to sell as the prices had to go all the way back up !!!

4. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Must admit it's a bloody fantastic looking car and mega fast, I'd have one...........:D

When I win the Lottery it's on my list..........and that's a soddin BIG list........:D

5. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    No! I hear the running costs are absolutely ridiculous(even by ferrari standards).

6. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    theres one up here and the guy paid 16k for a service so no i wouldnt have one

7. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Noons, if you could afford the beast the running costs would be irrelevant wouldnt they.............:D

8. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Would you buy a 90k ferrari that cost 16k per service?

It does look nice though.

9. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    he is only a child si how will he know anything

10. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    it's only got 6 cylinders!

11. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    buy 2 then

12. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Do you need a licence for one of these Nooney ?

RAY60m

13. ferrarimadbloke

ferrarimadbloke Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Porthcawl S.Wales
    Full Name:
    Leyton Thomas
    Ask yourselves...........would you pay all that money for a car powered by a Metro 6R4 engine?
    I think the styling is hideous, too big and bulky, I drove one once and just thought it was too big to drive properly, although I must admit it went rather well!
    Only one true Jaguar supercar.........that has to be the imortal "E" type!

14. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    And where do you buy spares from? I seem to recall that TWR sold the tooling a couple of years ago, but I can't remember who to. So it's not as if the cost is just getting a part made: At worst it could be getting a tool made to make a part.

The original list price also became largely irrelevant as there were massive cancellations as the classic car bubble burst and many were unsold. The last "new" one I'm aware of was sold by Grange in Welwyn about three/four years ago. I don't know how much they got but it sure wasn't £300k.

jg

15. Fezzaphil

Fezzaphil Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I was at the auction that the XJ220 sold for £66k, actually sat in the car before hand. Was a nice example. However I was talking with some guys over dinner that night, they had a lot of experience of driving 220's, and the feedback was not good. One respected driver called it a truck to drive and £66k was about the right level for it. Believe everything you have heard about horrendous running costs, yes much greater than Ferrari's, these cars have to go back to the factory to be serviced, a la Mclaren F1.

It's a shame as the concept was great but just didn't match the actual car built. Add in the recession back in the 90's etc etc.....

Someone, can't remember which dealer, still has an unregistered one for sale.

Offers anyone????

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #16 tonyh, Mar 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    Tony, aside from J Lo's personal dresser, Peter Hardman has probably THE best dream job doesn't he? Damn good driver to boot.

Grange did buy the last remaining lhd 220s and unregistered/ unused cars come up fairly regularly for sale at circa £115k.

The car was destined to be V12 powered but this didn't ever transpire (cost cutting???) and a number of deposit holders withdrew their £50k deposits as a result.

18. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    :D :D :D
    He certainly does and is , m8. He's put in a tremendous amount of work to get where he is , so fair play :)

19. Nicola

Nicola Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Northampton
    I am just surprised that Grange are willing to offer them at a reasonable price now (unlike the early 90's).

I think it is a stunning car, just a shame about the rest of it.

20. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    It didn't help when they took orders for a V12 car and then later down the line announced that it was only going to be a V6

21. D11VE:J

D11VE:J Formula 3

Nov 9, 2004
    I would not have one as a gift, too expensive, too heavy, too old, too fat but I am on a diet now.

The answer is NO; better cars around to buy for £150k+ sooner have an F40 for the few extra quid.

22. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    That's a shame, I was going to deliver 1 to you for your birthday, now what am I going to do with it???

23. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    I'll take it mate.

Did anyone see what this car done to a Zonda on Top Gear?

24. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    I think I'll keep it, and drive it around the airports taunting the locals!