Earthquake Ferrarphobic? | FerrariChat

Earthquake Ferrarphobic?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Steve R, Mar 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Having just bought a Ferrari 4 months ago and keeping it in the garage....did we all prep the garage to be Ferrari-safe in the event of an earthquake?

I removed stuff from shelving, bracked things to the wall, strapped things down, put up safety nets on shelves....I'm pretty much ready for some rockin' & rolling around the F-car.

Am I paranoid.....or did we all do the same?

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Insurance and Ambien my friend.

DL

3. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You're not alone. Not just for earthquakes, but just general precautionary measures so dumb accidents are avoided.

4. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you are paranoid, then I guess I am just plain sick.
    I built a wood cage around my C-4 using 2x6 studs and steel re-enforcement. The car slips into the "cage" easily, takes little extra space, and allows for extra storage above the car. It's probably not going to support the entire garage but certainly a good portion of it in the event we have a really bad one. It also serves to keep mysterious door dings from occuring via the wife's car, kids, etc.

5. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    I was going to cover and build some form of protection too....but I just love looking at the car every time I go past or look out my bedroom balcony.

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Steve,

When we have another major earthquake, the last thing you should worry about is your car.

7. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Usually the fiberglass body on a Corvette does a pretty good of avoiding dents all by itself. ;)

The only thing I'm concerned about in an Earthquake is myself and my family members. A car can be replaced, but I'm sure there's plenty of stuff that can fall on YOU in such a situation. I'd feel like an ass if my wife & kids got hurt but my car was pristine.

-Chris

8. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When there's a thread about earthquake protection for the house, wife, kids then we can talk about proactive measures at that time. As most people know, there are many things one can do to improve safety in the house in the event of a major shaker.

9. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Back in 94 when the Northridge Quake hit, I sat up in bed and put my hand on a big, old and UNTEMPERED plate glass window to damp the vibration & hopefully prevent it from shattering. The window held but an 8 pound chunk of fluorite crystals that was part of my gem and mineral collection landed square on my pillow where my head usually goes. I sort of learned to hate earthquakes during those 70 or so seconds.

The car will have to take care of itself if the Mercalli Scale goes much past 10. I do however have storage cabinets bolted to the walls and locked shut so no power tools should land on the hood(s).

10. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Your avatar still scares the hell out of me...

I agree, but this isn't FamilyChat.com and I wanted to keep the subject pertinent in some manner. Trust me, very few people spend as much time worrying about Earthquakes as I do. In many ways I probably still suffer from post-traumatic-stress-disorder having fully experienced the Northridge quake of '94.

My whole house is done-up for the earthquake....including my own invention of an emergency lighting system which fully illuminates the house with it's own self-powered system and an earthquake sensor that I built. Last quake I was caught in the dark and refuse to let that happen again.

Just fyi, after the next quake you'll see a thread about "so, what damage did your f-car take during the ___ quake?". Tell ya what...I won't start it either. :)