Anger Management, Part II | FerrariChat

Anger Management, Part II

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by UroTrash, Mar 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Preface: I live in the mountains. Hardly a mile of straight road around here. My pet peeve is people being in my lane around blind curves, I guess its the old self-preservation thing.

So its 74 degrees, nice and clear so i decide to take a little roll on my TransAlp (an old on-road-off-road motorcycle).

I'm riding one of my usual close-to-home circuits and I round a corner and squarely in my lane is a Camry. He swerves after a delay and I'm hugging the last 12 inches of pavement, he doesn't hit me.

Ashamedly I admit the following... I'm so mad, I turn around to chase him down.

Can you tell the story is not going in a happy direction??

So, see him up ahead...

Closer....

So I catch up after a mile or so. He slows and rolls his window down. I pull aside and yell "You are going to KILL someone driving like that!".

Here's where it get weird.

As I'm yelling I realize I know the kid...and his mom.

They go to my church....

He's in 6th grade. Thats right 6th grade. As in 12 years old. As in 3 years before his permit. As in 4 years before his license.

His dad's a doc in town.

A friend.

Hmmmm......

Not quite sure what to do with this from several stand points.

What happens at church tomorrow?

What if his mom chews my ass out tomorrow?

Full face helmet, questionable identity....

When do I start my anger management class?

Opinions???

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Dim her lights. They were in the wrong.

3. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

She's a really sweet earth-mother-granola-karma-swapping gal (Camry remember), will likely apologize I would think; if she knows it was me.

4. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    You need to have a talk with your friend. The judgement and driving behavior exhibited is going to get them or someone else (luckinly not you this time) killed. How might you feel if they have a future problem and you hadn't said something to your friend?

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Yeah right.

If she has the stones to initiate the confrontation and accuse YOU of something, then you are fully in your right to argue your point in front of God and everybody (convenient, since you're at church). Tell her to teach her kid how to drive in a wal-mart parking lot, not a mountain road that poses challenges to even experienced drivers.

6. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I would have pulled the kid out of the car and got somebody to call the cops. The hell with the outcome. The parents were not prudent guardians of their keys and their 12 year old son needs a few days in Juvi!

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    You didn't mention if anyone was in the car with the kid. If he was out joy-riding on his own, he may be soiling himself over whether you are going to tell on him to his mom.

8. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    clarify: mom in car.

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You should have taken the keys out of the ignition and threw them over the cliff. Since you didn't, tomorrow in church, slap the father across the face and say 10 Hail Marys!

DL

10. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    You need to have a coherent discussion with your friend: 12 years old is too young to drive, and more importantly, even if the kid is learning to drive, wrong road, and apparently a wrong instructor.

If for instance, the kid had killed you, your family would own them, lock stock and barrel. Your friend, the doc, needs to know that what his lovely bride is doing, runs the risk of costing him every thing he's worked so hard to obtain, in addition to harming another human being. There probably would be no insurance coverage because of the kid's age.

I'd have done quite a bit more than just yell at the 12 year old. I'd have had a serious discussion with his brain dead mom, and called his father to explain why you were telling his lovely bride what an imbecile she is.

Art

11. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

It never fails to amaze me that people of above average intelligence allow themselves to be put in situations where the possible liability is catastrophic.(I should clarify that I myself frequently do stupid things, but then again, I'm not smart enough to be a doc, just sell the things they use.)

If the mom recognizes you, I would give her an earful and not feel the least bit bad about it. I would certainly speak to the father and remind him that while you and I know docs are rarely filthly rich, most jurors will believe they are. Imagine if the son hits someone. The only thing more unpleasant than working your ass off to be a doctor and finding out it's not what you expected would be going to work everyday for the rest of your career to pay off a settlement that your idiot wife could have avoided with a little common sense and quality parenting.

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If they don't recognize you tomorrow, you need to let them know it was you.
    If you let it go and the kid kills someone else guess what? You share in the culpability; a little bit legally and a lot morally.

13. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Uro : you did nothing wrong, and if that was all you said to him, you were remarkably restrained. You have nothing to worry about.

14. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    WTF????

You have been watching wayyyyy too many prime time legal dramas!

....and maybe a few too many daytime soap operas!

DL

15. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would've taken the keys, told him to start walking and called the father when I got home. An angry/busy dad picking up after his legally challenged son is sure to set the kid straight.. it worked for me!

Since we're past that point, pull the father aside and play the "I don't want to get involved in your business but I thought you should know" routine and point out that he came dangerously close to hitting you.

Then make nice with the kid as he's liable to peg you as asshead #1 and go after one of your daughters (out of spite) in a few years. ;)

-Chris

16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #16 darth550, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    DL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #17 Sfumato, Mar 27, 2005
    Everyone knows it'll be Toyota and Yokohama's fault for the kid killing someone, not UT.
    And we all know people who are intelligent enough to have good jobs, but SHOULD NOT REPRODUCE. This sounds like one. Hope they can afford to educate their victim's children, support the family, and pay the spouse's lawyers when they wants to pull the feeding tube....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You have to stay alive to still be friends with the guy.

Tell him his kid almost killed you by running you off the road.

Leave it at that. If he's man enough to take responsibility, you go on.

If he's not, keep the kid away from your daughters.

If he's an ass about it, do you want some phone numbers for people in Newport TN that can straighten this out for you? ;)

19. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    The mom is clearly culpable here. If you want to speak to the Doc, as a courtesy, you should do so, and explain not only how his wife and son put your life into jeopardy, but ask for an explanation of their behavior. You are entitled to it.
    I would also drop into the local constabulary, and if you know the chief, ask him how he would suggest approaching this, without naming names. If he is willing to take a complaint on file without making these folks live's miserable right now, i would do that. That way, it's at least on record if the mom/kid pull anymore stupid stunts.

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I would have not hidden my identity but instead yelled at them by name. I'm sure the shame of being recognized in that situation would have been worse for them.

21. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #21 PeterS, Mar 27, 2005
  22. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I hate to admit, all of this would have been avoided if I had only installed the PANIC! button on the TransAlp!

23. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Or, if you OWNED a 4 wheeled vehicle that was fun on twisties, like say, I dunno, a Ferrari???
    Hmmm, maybe it is your fault.... :D
    Happy Easter DS

24. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Hey, never thought about getting one of those!

25. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

Didn't you see that Law and Order?

The Urologist did time
    For the neighbor kid's crime