308 QV CV boot | FerrariChat

308 QV CV boot

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by matteo, Mar 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    my passenger side outside boot sprayed grease all over my exhaust to the point I thought I had blown the main gasket.

Does anyone have advice or tips or pictures for the swapout?

I assume the parts are from the usual suspects.

TIA

Matt

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    There have been one or two good writeups on this. Keep searching!

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but not really that hard. The trick is being able to get all the allen bolts out. They are very tight. Soak them overnight in PB Blaster. It really helps. Then use a big breaker bar on them. Mine came off no problem. You need to pull the entire half shaft to do the job. Clean the area all around the CV joints before you take it off so you don't contaminate the joint with sandy/oily crapola from under the car.

The best price on boots I found was from Dennis McCann (I can't remember but about $15 each). They sell a kit with 4 boots, the clamps, and the appropriate amount of lube for something like $69. Of course, while you have the half shaft apart, do both boots because the boot replacement actually only takes 5 minutes once the shaft is out. Be careful to replace the half shaft in the same orientation when you re-install it. The CV joints are different on each end of the shaft. (One can extend a bit).

Once you get the half shaft out, there is a circlip that needs to be removed to get the CV joint off the end so you will need circlip pliers. Then the CV joint slides right off, and the boots can be replaced easily.

It was so messy that I didn't take pictures. Sorry about that.

Wear rubber gloves, we're talking major messy to get the boots on and off with all that grease!

Good luck.

Birdman

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I did search and I did find information. I was hoping people, unlike yourself, would want to add to the discussion rather then to the typical "search" post.

I'll be sure and help you in the future.

5. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Good tips that were not in the other threads (**cough DON cough**).

I will call Dennis on Monday. Those are good prices that, again, were not noted in other threads.

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i posted a thread with pics on this. its past my bedtime so i will dig up the pics and post the info tomorrow for you if it will help. Porsche cv axles will work, i had a local cv axle shop rebuild mine for $100.00 a side. more later.

edit do the wheel and hub bearings while you have it apart. TRUST ME ON THIS .. Michael

7. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

Thanks!!!

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    After the circlip, it "should" slide right off, but be prepared to punch it out with a brass punch, just in case.

9. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Birdman,
    We had this discussion some time ago and everybody agreed that both of the CV joints are the same. In that case it doesn't make any difference which way you install the shaft.

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The last one of these I did was on a Mondial and the service manual said they were different....but I didn't see any difference. So you may be right! Anyway, it's no big deal "just to be sure" to make sure that you put it back the same way it came out. Also, don't these things have a preferred rotational direction? (Maybe not). Anyway, I figured it didn't really take any extra effort to put it back the way it came out.

11. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #11 thecarreaper, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    several ferrari techs have told me it was common practice to switch the axel from left to roght as they only get loaded on one side. by switching them they wear the other side. i really cant imagine taking all that crap apart and not rebuilding them with new parts, modern grease and new boots. i did both the bearings and seals on the right side. i need to do the left, but the boots are fine and there is no noise so its been on the back burner. hell mabe the car will actually sell this summer.........

i did this on a friends lift, putting it together was not near as hard as getting the allen bolts out. be very aware of where the shims are and how they fit. i used a brush and coated all the nuts with marvel mystery oil and let it sit before we took it apart. pb blaster works well also. it took a breaker bar and an impact to get it apart...... BUY SOME BRAKE LINES BEFORE YOU TAKE THE CAR APART. 28 year old lines are brittle. hell buy the stainless steel kit and be done with it. i replaced my right rear line with a new one. if i keep the car and do the left rear i am going with stainless steel lines. some pics.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Aren't you being a prick today?
    What if I have a problem that HASN'T been discussed and documented before? Will you help me then or never because I suggested that it's already been discussed?

Was I out of line in pointing out that this has been talked about before numerous times? I'm thrilled that the shopping work's been done by someone else and posted here, but then again, I wasn't content to use generic grease in mine, either.

Haywood.

13. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Today?

It depends.

No you were not. But a search goes without saying. A newbie I am not. Was there something wrong in my asking. So all the other threads were the final word on the subject?

Well good for you.

14. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I purchase a set of allen sockets (3/8" drive)and a long 3/8" extension. With an impact wrench it then becomes very easy to remove the bolts. Just make sure that the socket is firmly seated in the bolt head. The nice thing is that the nut on the opposite side, is held firm against the flange so you can work only from the front.
    All the above tools were purchased from Harbor Freight for just a few bucks and they never failed. They may not sustain the rigors of everyday professional mechanics but the worked remarkably well for me.
    Assuming you will use the "universal" straps, make sure that you apply plenty of power to the straps. Basically you want to have the CV shaft clamped in a vise so that you can use both hands to pull on the strap (use a pair of vise-grips) and smartly fold it back. It is not a difficult procedure but make sure you pay plenty of attention to it. A casual tightening of the strap will surely make it fail (ask how I know that!).
    All in all, this will be one of the easiest and quickest service you can do on your 308.

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well....I don't know about THAT. Changing the oil is pretty easy.... ;)

As for the "do a search" comments, I often find it annoying when you ask a valid question and some wiseguy tells you to do a search. Most people here with a reasonable post count have probably done a search, and telling them to do it again is not very helpful, and insulting. If you want to send someone a message that they should do a search, a more subtle way to do it is to do the search yourself and post a couple links. It's helpful, it's not insulting, and it gets the idea across that the person who asked the question might have found the info if he searched. HOWEVER, even in cases where there is info to be found, the function of this board is DISCUSSION, and at some point, everything will have been posted. At that point, do we stop discussing and just search?

If a guy with a post count of 4 asks which tires to put on his car or how to fix his slow windows, it's OK to be a LITTLE obnoxious.... ;) But I hardly think a question like this has been covered in extreme depth previously to the point that no more information is needed. When I see an annoying post from a newbie asking the same question for the 4,000th time, I just roll my eyes and ignore it. It's easier and less combative than telling that person to do a search. We were all newbies once!

Not trying to start a flame war here, just making random observations. Tech Q&A is by far the most professional, helpful and interesting section of Fchat, and I hope we can all get along!

Birdman

16. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
  17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    That is so funny! Every point I made....has already been made!!

18. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the shop used red hightemp moly grease on the joints. i would just take the axels to a front wheel drive axel shop and have them redone. they are the same as the old Porsche 911's. then its just remove and replace. the wheel/hub bearings are not fun to get out, but i strongly suggest replacing them all while you have it apart.

19. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
  20. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

yawn....

Anyway, I did do a search. under "308 cv boot", It provided the following.

14 posts about the subject.

One is this post. 4 had really nothing to do with it. Odd bits here and there in the other threads. 4 of them were related to my question and most had the pictures missing.

Now I am fairly certain that many more people have signed up to f-chat since 12-21-2004 when the last time the question was ask that might provide more insite then you have.

oh and BTW - you posted "search the archives" in the other threads as well.

While I am impressed with YOUR ability to find a thread on USELESS threads, I hardly think a question about 308 CV boots is one of them. It's not like I was asking about which oil to use or posting a pick with a horse sticking out of a car.

So, I ask you. "Aren't you being a prick today?"

21. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Thanks Mike. I am going to have Ferrari do it afterall and ask them to change the bearings as well.

I was going to do it on own but I am afraid if I run into a problem that the "Search Nazi" will reappear.

22. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

Thats a great site!

23. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    #23 matteo, Mar 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    right on Birdman

24. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    You're getting way bent out of shape. Which letter of LOL don't you get?

It was a JOKE because the Archive Search Nazi topic was coming up in here. Let it go. I find that not having to keep going to BATTLE to make my point provides for a much happier time spent here. Chill...

Heywould.