Why is NSX so fast? | FerrariChat

Why is NSX so fast?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by PatrickShim, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Why is NSX so fast? It's got small engine and isn't much lighter than cars such as Porsche GT3, but it's super fast.... How does it do that?

I drove my friend's new NSX today, and I was totally blown away by it.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    It is not THAT fast. The 3.2 gets 60 in like 4.8 and the 1/4 is low 13s high 12s.

The power band is near perfect on the 3.2 with enough torque throughout the range.

In terms of weight it is rather light, at right around 3000 lb flat for the coupe.

The shifter is near perfect, can't complain there. Sound is nice, though nothing like a Ferrari.

Not to shabby for now a car generations old. The NA2 gives you about the performance of a 355 with reliability of a Honda and build quality of a Lexus.

3. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    The NSX was built to compete against the Viper GTS, Corvette ZR1 and the 355 also the lotus esprit.

The NSX is a very underated car. Its got decent performance and just because it doesnt have a V-8 making 400bhp people believe its slow for some reason or another. Its got a VTEC I-4 making around 278bhp and i forgot how much TQ but i know its pretty powerfull.

This is a good bang for the buck deal because no adays you can find them for around 20kused early models and for the newer more powerfull models at around 59k. Plus you can get performance parts for this to boost the output of horsepower making over 300hp or perhaps more. It sucks they are no longer in production but the good thing is now getting one at a rockbottom price is great but there will be no future model for the NSX.

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    The NSX was not made to compete against the Viper GTS. The RT/10 first came out in 92(the NSX in 91) and was still undoubtedly faster than a NSX. The GTS came out in 96 and was pretty much the fastest thing on the market...

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Wait until the next one comes out. ;)

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    V6 with 290 hp (NA2 3.2L) and 270 (NA1 3.0L)

Also it was made to compete against NONE of the cars you mentioned. They all came out later. (it was developed in the late 80s)

It was made (NA1) to compete with the 348, nonturbo 968 (I think thats the pcar number, it was the last bug eyed 911 before the 993), pre-S4 Exprit, and the C4 vette.

The NA2 was made to update the performance to 355 levels, and correct, by adding a 6spd, the drop out of VTEC by the longer 5 spd that would occur sometimes.

7. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Man, you have no clue. None at all. infact, you should not even respond.

1st off, the Viper GTS wasn't even made when the NSX came out. THe NSX came out in 1991 competing with the ZR1, Lotus esprit and Ferrari 328/348.

2nd, the NSX has either a 3.0 or 3.2L V6 with 270 or 290Hp respectively. It does not have a freaking 4 cylinder.

3rd, you can find the "more powerful model" 3.2 for about 45K. The 02 is just a facelift and no faster than a 97.

4th, it is still in production.

The only thing you got right is that it is underrated.

8. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #8 netviper, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The NSX is fast because of the great balance. It will keep up with almost anything on a racetrack. It is not a drag car, but newer (97+) cars can run low 13's @ 107-110. Not slow by any means. On the other hand, C6's will smoke it for 1/2 the price.

The NSX-R is still competitive with today's super cars because of its lightweight and blueprinted V6. It probably makes closer to 300rwhp from what I have read.

As much as I love the NSX, it is now outgunned by 35K EVO's and 50K C6's. The car is desperately in need of more power. A 3.5L V6 with about 380HP would do the trick. Unfortunetly, the people at Honda no longer care about the car and just let it sit there unchanged.

With i/h/e you can typically pick up about 25rwhp on a 91-96. Add a comptech supercharger and you are pretty close to 320-340rwhp. They are wondeful cars to own and get pleny of attention on the street.

PS. Let me know if you want a NSX as mine is for sale :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Fast Shadow

Fast Shadow Karting

Dec 18, 2004
    Point Dume, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    My understanding is that there's some debate about this and that things like header part numbers changed after 02.

Gearing (especially in the 97+ cars) is a factor in the surprising quickness of the NSX, too.

10. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't think there is really any debate. The 02 car is actually a little heavier than the 97. I like the 02, but I don't think the minor changes are worth the extra money over a 97. If I did have the money for an 02, say 55-60K, I would rather get a low mileage 97 for 45K and supercharge it. Though I must say, the factory HID's are sweet!

11. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    lol

12. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I should actually say there were some SLIGHT areodynamic changes that makes the 02 car slightly faster at say 0-150.

13. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    The NSX is a nice car. Sporty but I think its over priced for the power that you get. I would still buy one if I had that kind of cash. You can put some mods on there to make 300+ hp. It has a balance of toruqe through out the range. It sounds nice, im sure you could find an exhaust system for it if you wanted a little more rumble.

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the nsx is not in the same league as an gt3 or even a c6 vette...more on par with a c5 vette and a m3 bmw..certainly fast, esp for its hp, i would say the 355 is a slight bit quicker, both objectively and subjectively..the first generation 996 is an other car in the same speed catagory as the nsx...similar hp and weight..but for 90k for a new nsx...it is slooooow..technology has advanced a great deal from 1990 and 1997....thats why honda cant even sell 200 a year, while porsche sells over 20,000 911 a year...

15. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would say it is the porsche name that sells that many cars vs the Acura/Honda name. The NSX is a better car than the 996 (minus the turbo and GT2/3). But you also have to remember that the Porsche name means performance. The Honda name is rarely associated with high performance.

I would also agree the NSX is not in the same league as a c6. It is much higher. A C6 is not an exotic, hand-built, low volume, rare car. Yes, it is fast. But thats all. Soon there will be 80,000 of them on the road and you will see yourself coming and going 10x a day.

Nonetheless, you are right. For $90K, you should get at least 380+ horses, 0-60 in low 4's, 1/4 mile is low 12's @ 118 and a top speed near 190. Those are supercar stats today. You can get close to that if you get a comptech or basch Supercharger on the NSX for around $10-12K including headers and exhaust.

16. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
  17. qirex

qirex Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    hey viper...prime down..so you lurk in fchat?

what are you gonna get to replace the x?

i drove a 355 and nsx w/ exhaust back 2 back.

Yeah, i was surprised that teh NSX felt and drove better - not to mention it felt faster. (buttdyno)

Either way, a great car, thats been abandoned. Concerning the 996 vs NSX, I have to admit that I was amazed by my buds 00 C4 driven back to back w/ my neighbors 91. The porsche beat the NSX up so bad...its prolly just a sound thing - the 91 STILL has the same stock exhaust...

18. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I always hang around as I am a lover of all cars.

I have no doubt the 00 C4 felt faster than a 91 NSX. The C4 makes A LOT more torque.

Both are great cars. I wish Honda would have updated the NSX like Porsche does with the 911.

19. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    you are right, i perfer driving the nsx to the 996...porsche does have the name...the 997s is finally what porsche wanted for the 996....my point was that people agree with you , that for 90k, you need more performance these days...even a 53k porsche, the boxster s, has 280hp with less weight than the nsx...i personally would rather own-drive a nsx over a c6...acura is still more refined with better steering feel and a much better, less clunky shifter...a 97 or 98 nsx for under 50k is still a good deal for a reliable , exotic looking , mid engine sports car

20. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i think it was a catch-22...sales were slow, so they didnt invest money in futher development,which futher slowed down sales, and so on...i hope they come out with thenew model...honda may not....apparently honda is doing weel enough with their everyday cars that they dont need an image car anymore....its also funny that some of my ferrari owning friends and relatives hate the nsx..they have never driven it but they are offended that some people compare it to their beloved ferrari!!!!!! but they are ok with porsches!!

21. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Last i knew, Honda shelved it indefinitely. We'll be very lucky to see a new gen one anytime soon imo.

22. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    The NSX is sort of legendary because of the engineering that went into it. It's sort of a Japanese version of a Mclaren F1. I know that analogy is stretching it a little, but the NSX is considered to be a classic, fast, excellently designed and built Japanese supercar.

It's not the fastest thing in a straight line, but it holds its own on a track. I believe the times of the NSX-R around the Nurburgring still command respect.

Netviper is correct, the NSX is outgunned by a much cheaper Mitsu Evo. But what the latter modern car does through a lot of electronic trickery, the NSX did through good structural engineering. To me, therein lies the difference.

Pity that Honda seems to have shelved plans to build a new one. They could use the supercar engine development motivation for their F1 cars, which at the moment, seem to be blowing up with clockwork predictability.

23. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Beg to differ, Honda will definitely come out with a new one. Styling is a mish-mash of Enzo/MC12 and the rear is...sheeesh..Engine wise is a toss-up between a V6 or V8. What I heard is most probably a 3.5L V6 with close to 400hp. Current engine architecture of the Honda Legend/Acura but with modified/revised internals.

The problem is because the NSX is difficult to shift from the showroom, and Honda is not accustomed to slow sales! But they have the money to develop, that's for sure and the upcoming Next Generation will incorporate the improvements that they gleaned in their long-ish production run of the current one.

24. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This is 100% pure speculation. Honda's stance on the NSX/HSC has become downright comical with the spotting of references by Fukui? in domestic and Japanese car mags--depending which comments you choose to draw your inferences from--that the NSX will or will not live on.

The speculation about the NSX's fate has been going on for 2-3 years with absolutley no definite answer in sight. You can start your research at the "next generation" forum at www.nsxprime.com.

25. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Sorry. My bad info from my brothers and friends who are into Japanese Cars. A couple of them are NSX owners....

I tried to register with nsxprime.com but it keep telling me to contact the mods...