horn ?? | FerrariChat

horn ??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Z06Miguel, Mar 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Z06Miguel

Z06Miguel Rookie

Mar 26, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I would like to introduce myself or rather my car mostly. Im not a Ferrari owner but I wish (dont you all), I own a 2003 Corvette Z06. I've playing with the idea of changing my honk sound, I took out the original high and low and placed a Fiat low just to try it out, obsviouly it doesnt do it for me. Anyone know which Ferrari horn could I get to duplicate the sweet Italian Honk sound, I dont want loud so Air horns is not what Im looking for, I just want to replace the Fiamms that come on the GM which I believe is an "F" note. I want the European note. Any one know what note would be? or where I could get a Ferrari horn, I believe they are still made by Fiamm as well?

ps. whos going to be at the Ferrari get together in Indiannapolis this June, I'll be there checking out your rides but obsviously watching the race as well

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

3. Z06Miguel

Z06Miguel Rookie

Mar 26, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I checked out the link, and said that the enzo and 360 have the honda sounding horns, so is there any Ferrari model with the Italian sound Im looking for, Im not looking for that kit you linked me too, just the Honk directly replacing my stock, maybe another model had the horn sound I want without all that installation? Thanx for the welcome

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The distinctive honk you're looking for is produced by a combination of things... compressor, true air horns, and the ferrari horn shape/length/formation. You might get close with an electric, but it won't be the same. I think Griots has something @ www.griotsgarage.com, but it's not an OEM system. If you want a true Ferrari sound, you need an air system.

Ferrari horns are quaint, but not necessarily effective.

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    #5 RacerX_GTO, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not much is known about Ferrari's air horn selection, but Ferrari has switched on and off with Stebel and FIAMM. Bently has the airhorns too.

I've spend some time tearing up this site and the net for the exact Ferrari sound, short of spending $130 for the genuine Ferrari kit. I have even gone as far as sampling my home videos of Ferrari owners honking their horns and playing the pitch up against samples on the internet. Here are my findings:

The exact Ferrari sound:

* Stebel GPS Series
    * FIAMM Serie TA
    * Bosch airhorn
    (High pitch horn and medium pitch horn)
    795Hz and 840Hz

It is nearly impossible to find a dual airhorn kit with the 840Hz(high) horn.
    I found my Stebel's at Pep Boys marketed under the name Blazer. The kit included the three horns, so I threw out the low note horn, or the longest one, and installed the other two. Dead-on Ferrari sound. Note, that I had seen other Blazer kits stuffed with no-name airhorns, unless the diaphram caps say Stebel or FIAMM, its more than likely made in China. My Stebels only set me back $48. The compressor was designed for three horns, since it only used the two, it is really loud!

Other kits I have seen marketed with Stebel/FIAMM have the low horn and medium horn(630Hz/795Hz) marketed under Grand Prix for Stebel, and Riviera for FIAMM. It's a subtle difference in sound with the low note horn, but its a unique Ferrari-esque sound. Those cheap-o Wolo airhorns are not the Ferrari sound.

The horns installed on fcars have aluminum trumpets whereas most of these aftermarket horns have plastic trumpets, all I have to respond to that is it takes a "musicians ear" to absolutely notice the difference.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!
    -Gabe

Genuine Ferrari Airhorns
    Ferrari Part No. 189428
    (FIAMM Serie TA, High Horn and Medium Horn)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

AHudson likes this.
  6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Welcome aboard.

You're not going to get the sound you want without air. The system Daniel is offering is exactly what you need to get that sound. No electric horn is going to get you close.

Oh and I'm no mechanic, but I installed a similar system a couple of years ago on my TR6. Took about an hour, including cleanup and wiring. It's pretty simple, and at $130, you get the genuine Ferrari item. Not a lot of Ferrari stuff can be had for that number.

DM

7. RacerX_GTO

Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I've never seen it in the USA, but Stebel has an "all in one". It's as close as you are going to get with the sound of an airhorn in a package of those GM type horns.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index.htm

Products-->Electropneumatics--> Nautilus Series

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  9. NobleForums

NobleForums Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    I picked up one of these Stebel Nautilus air horns from Griot's for my vehicle. Very easy to install and extremely loud, but the sound is slightly different from the GP2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The single point mount means install only takes a few minutes.

This site has a short wav file of the sound:

http://www.top-gear.net/products.asp?u=80745N94829.0103777051&deptid=120

10. Z06Miguel

Z06Miguel Rookie

Mar 26, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Thanx alot guys for the Replies, I will be researching all the options,this same thread was at ferrariforum.com and no replies for almost three weeks, so If you guys dont mind I'll be coming back to this site for more help when needed

11. Z06Miguel

Z06Miguel Rookie

Mar 26, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Hey anyone have the original Horns they replaced? I still wanna try the electric horns from an original Ferrari!!

12. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
  13. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    That looks like what I have. I was told they were the same as a 308. They have the cheerful, non threatening tweet sound. I was thinking a Mac Truck horn would be safer.

ken

14. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #14 robertgarven, Mar 28, 2005
    I put a set of these on my rodeo and they are very similar to the ferrari sound. due to US regs the new ferrari's have very emasculated horns which is sad as my horns on the gt4 will sometimes cause minor collisions to take place. I got mine from sport auto I think. BTW here is the real thing!

15. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    OK, this is really dumb, but:

Where is(are) the horn(s) on my 308? Furthermore, where do you oil it(them)? What type of oil?
    Mine needs some lubeing, because when it's cold it barely ekes out a sound, but gets better as I drive.......

Is it below the spare tire shroud?

TIA,
    Greg

16. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    What may be helpful to the original poster is to know the proper horn length necessary to get the sound. Since the frequency of the horn is proportional to the length of the horn. One of the posters mentioned 630Hz, 795 Hz and 840 Hz horn frequencies. He did not use the longest one. What are the lengths of these horns (horn only, not the diaphram) compared to the lengths of the "Real ferrari" horns. Could some one measure their actual ferrari horns and post the length? The closer you get to these lengths, the closer you would get to the actual sound.

Bdel

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    My Alfa came with wimpy horns, so I installed air -- with a selector switch, so I can still "meep" at someone when they are waiting for a particular shade of green light. My 328 has air horns.

If you want the sound without the volume, get a digital recorder, capture a WAV file of a real Ferrari horn, then hook your horn button to a digital sound player hooked up to a weatherproof speaker. ;) (You can mung up something from Radio Shack parts, or check the bling shops for a package.)

I've been toying with the idea of adding WAV horns to the ricer: the screech from Godzilla flicks. :D

18. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #18 robertgarven, Mar 29, 2005
    I can measure mine this weekend but i know for a fact that Ferrari used many different types of air horns as I have 4 friends locally with ferrari and all sound a little different. so any of the FIAMM two horn set-ups will be fine I have one in my rodeo like i said and it is really similar to the gt4. The horns should be up front and the oil hole is on top of the compressor. You can actually take the compressor apart as sometimes it gets gunked up. I use my horn often as I like the sound but it drives my wife crazy. If it works here is a 246 horn sound

19. RacerX_GTO

Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    #19 RacerX_GTO, Mar 29, 2005
    I got the horn I'm not using and measured from the bell, to the base of the trumpet where it plugs into the mount, not to the end of the diaphragm cap. It's the longest horn in the three horn kit and it measures seven and a half inches. This trumpet is the 630Hz horn. I don't know what the other horns measurements, primarily due to the fact that they are installed on my car! The aluminum trumpets I would speculate to measure slightly 'smaller' than the plastic set. My quest for Ferrari horns had me examine recycled horns, but none of which were in condition to sport as anything useful let alone aesthetics. I could see that there was something small about them. I would be currious of the exact measurements.

Very true, which makes it difficult to nail down one sound chord as being the one and only Ferrari 'sound'. Some of the vintage only had one horn.

The Ferrari horn selection is one of the lesser known facts, it would be very interesting to see, as well as a welcome addition, to put together knowledgebase of makes, series, and years of which horns Ferrari has used.

(crouch down and look, to see your horns)

20. alex117

alex117 Rookie

Dec 20, 2008
    #20 alex117, Mar 9, 2009
  21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    wow I bet those would all sound great together!!! :)

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Luis- If you want the real thing, go with Ricambi's kit (less than $200 for crying out loud) and you can tell everyone you upgraded to real Ferrari air horns. That has to be worth a few beers from your buddies. Incidentally, I owned a 2003 Z06, sold it to buy a 2006 Z06. Great exhaust note through the titanium exhaust, now you need a horny (typo) to match.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

23. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Luis

Get that horn kit from Ricambi.

Not only is it the Ferrari sound you want, it gets plenty of folks attention!

It is the horn you want!

24. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    sell the vette, buy a 328. you will never regret it!!!

25. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    But then he may have to make a note[/] to buy the 328!!!