What 355 after market quite exhausts are there? | FerrariChat

What 355 after market quite exhausts are there?

Discussion in '348/355' started by chaa, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #1 chaa, Mar 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mate of mine today were chillin in our 355 spiders, and exchanged cars. What a differance, some one had fitted a after market QUITE exhaust and this did affect power. It does not even sound like a ferrari ,let alone a 355. I have told him that even the standard exhaust sounds like Holy Hell, but no, first thing in the morning he will be buying a real system.
    Question is what quite systems are they, i have never seen one untill today. I had a look and it was a mild steel box but alot smaller than a standard 355s box. Anyone??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tonyyoshi

tonyyoshi Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Tony Brooker
    Did the tips stick out a long way? It could have been a Challenge Exhaust. BTW presume you mean QUIET not QUITE....

3. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Not sure I know them all....but:

Tubi
    Capristo
    Mille Miglia
    Larini
    Cargraphics
    Fuch's
    Quick-Silver
    Imola

Prices range from $1,700 to $3,800. If you can figure out which one is best...let me know! You will find owners who swear that they LOVE them or HATE them.....it's wild.

My suggestion is to replace your stock unit, it shouldn't be hard to find a take-off OEM system from a shop that sells these performance units.

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    So tell me, if it was a quiet system,and i mean quiet or even quite, then how could it have a challenge system fitted????

5. tonyyoshi

tonyyoshi Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Tony Brooker
    The 355 Challenge makes hardly any decent sound. It's purely designed for power delivery, not aural excitement.

The other thing it could be is tghe CATs on that car are screwed and blocked. Or, the bypass valve is jammed closed.

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I doubt very much if you have heard a challenge system mate if you think it gives a quite sound. The yellow car i am talking about is quite, it sounds like a nissan micra, its that quite.
    Your other points could be valid, but dont YOU mean "the" and not "tghe" LOL! easy to make the mistake ey?

7. tonyyoshi

tonyyoshi Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Tony Brooker
    :)

Good poin ton the spelling...

I had a Challenge on my last car and it was ****e. very quiet indeed. Any chance you took a pic of the pipes? is there any white powder at the tips? the exhaust could be blocked because of disintegrated cats. i've never heard of a quiet exhaust for the 355 because it's very difficult to do that. can you hear the tone change at 4000rpm? give us some specifics....

8. tonyyoshi

tonyyoshi Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Tony Brooker
    btw, seriously, are you typing quiet and something on your computer is changing it to quite????

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    No , he just can't spell but it doesn't matter ;)

10. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Tony, pick one of my black cheeks and pukker up!.....B***D

11. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    I do know that Meisterschaft makes a F355 exhaust, as well as high flow cats and y-pipe or spiral bypass pipes (depending on your model # 2.7 or 5.2). I don't have a video of it though.

12. tonyyoshi

tonyyoshi Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Tony Brooker
    huh? i must have missed something. btw, wtf does B***D mean?

returning do the subject, do you have pics of the exhaust? or is this whole thing just a wind up?

13. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    NOOO! That comment was not to you Tonyoshi, it was to Tonyh. I know the guy from the UK forum.He understands my humour.
    Tonyoshi, why would it be a wind up? Becourse i have not posted a photo just yet? If you go to the UK thread i asked the same question and some one else has said that there ferrari tec has also heard and worked on a another 355, with quite exhaust , in fact i was asked if it was the same one.

14. tonyyoshi

tonyyoshi Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Tony Brooker
    ah, my bad.

so there really is an exhaust that was made deliberately quiet? don't see the point in that myself. it could be though that the pipes in this smaller exhaust are so small, that if the CATs have failed at one point or another, the exhaust has become clogged by the ceramic material as it disintegrated. when idling, does air come out of both left and right pipes?

15. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    smaller box than a stock 355...it's supposed to be louder because of the lesser 'silencing' volume, UNLESS the INOX? innards were totally disintegrated and jamming/blocking the flow passages.....JMO.

16. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    I would go with a Capristo exhaust. Oh man, I cant tell you how good it sounds!!! It is amazing I tell ya

17. wobbler

wobbler Karting

Mar 14, 2005
    Reading
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I would go with the blocked cats/exhaust. or the bi pass valve siezed. The next thing i would have checked before you spend any money is the air mass meters of air flow meters depending on your terminology. On the later mercedes it makes the engine very "flat" and muffled. Hope it helps.

18. tonyyoshi

tonyyoshi Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Tony Brooker
    Agree. Most people who have heard my Capristo have ordered them for their own cars too. Then again, I get an extra crackling sound because of the hyperflow cats.

19. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I didn't like the Tubi on my '95 355 Spider, so I sold it on Ferrarichat and bought the ANSA Performance Series. Great all around sound and no boominess. About $2,100 instead of $3-5k for some others.

20. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Hmmm.....I've been looking for something like that. Would you say it's fairly mellow around idle and low rpm's, yet nice and pronounced at the higher rpm's?? That's what I'm looking for!

Does that system go by any other name? Perhaps QuickSilver?

21. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    I'm looking for that, too. Had a Tubi on the 328 and the resonance was irritating at highway speed. Anybody with an Ansa out there??

22. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    no ansa here, but I gotta say for the 355 the capristo is very hard to beat especially with test pipes or hyperflows... I will be posting a few great videos next week that I had taken by a professional videographer... stay tuned!
    gordon

23. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    I don't quite know what the hell your talking about...

24. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I have a quicksilver exhaust on mine, I dig it the most!

Great sound.

25. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Apparently not too quick on the draw after all! ;-)