New Vinyl for 308 glove box | FerrariChat

New Vinyl for 308 glove box

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rickjaffe, Mar 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe
    #1 rickjaffe, Mar 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 308 gt4 had a couple of big cracks in the vinyl which was showing the white under cover material. I tried to repair it; it's alot better than it was, but still doesn't look too good (see attached picture). In looking at the glove box it seems that the whole vinyl cover should be replaceable. anybody ever do that, or is there someone who can?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    The same thing happened to mine. I just used vinyl patches to cover it up and have left it at that (I know, its an eye-sore). Problem is, the grain pattern on this original vinyl is an "unnatural" pattern, meaning, most vinyl thats avaliable through material stores, or upholstery shops, mimic natural leather (uneven grain), whereas the grain on this vinyl is perfectly symetric. It would clash with the rest of the dash if you had just the glove-box door done, so that means the whole dash would have to be done (if you're a stickler for detail).

If you find some vinyl, let me know! I suspect that it could be avaliable at Re-Originals, but I can just imagine it'll be an arm-and-a-leg...

3. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe

i know what you mean about the arm and leg. called them up to get a piece of leather for a boster. I wanted 9" x24". the least they would sell me was half a hide for 200 buck. otoh, they did tell me about a guy they use who works with them who sold me some leather for 20 bucks. so I may call them and see.

4. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Richard try Ferrari UK.I think they might have the piece of vinyl your looking for.https://www.owners.ferrari.com

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Rick, let me know if you find some leather at a decent price as I need a black piece for my TR console. Thanks, Jerry

6. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I think I have some that would be a good match. I am not familiar with the one you have, but it very close to the same material used for the trunk cover in a 308 GTSi.
    I will lok it up at work and let you know. How big a piece would you need? If I have I will send it to you.

The best way to decide if a leather is expensive/cheap is to look a the ft2 price. Naturally a 25 ft2 side will cost more than just the small piece one needs. Also there is a bit of waste on a skin therefore to obtain, let's say, a 4 ft2 square piece a seller may have to charge 8 ft2 for the waste.

Garrett leather has some very beautiful hides in a great spectrum of colours and quality. They sell full hides or just sides. Most of their leathers are suitable for upholstery and automotive use.
    $ 8-12 ft2 (medium price) depending upon the collection one likes.

7. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe

I may br wrong, but I think my dash and glove box cover is vinyl, not leather. I've got a piece of connelly leather and it feels quite different from the dash material.

8. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    The glove box cover is vinyl. I had the same thing on my car. Tried the vinyl repair kit, which worked temporarily, but if the car sits in the sun, the stuff will start to degrade and look bad.

I just took the cover off, and had it recovered in leather. It's not a perfect match with regard to the grain, but honestly, most people can't even tell. I had a local guy do it, cost was about $100 IIRC.

If you are worried about concours, then the above won't work, but my car is a driver, so it looks great even though it is not original.

The cover is attached by rivets. Just drill them out to remove, and then rivet it back in.

Dom

9. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    It is vinyl on my car and the material I have is vinyl too.

I was trying to respond to some questions about leather in the same post. I should have used the quotes.

10. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    my one is all leather, I recovered some of the dash panels with leather very easy job I did shop around for the leather which I got at a reasonable price. I used evo stick glue and alot of pegs to hold the leather onto the panels until dry. The other panels which were rivetted back on using new rivets.