MOUNTING FIRE EXTINGISHER?? | FerrariChat

MOUNTING FIRE EXTINGISHER??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by $$$=SPEED, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Looking for assistance in mounting a fire extiguisher in my 1991 348ts. I noticed many people place it on the passenger floor. I would rather have mine placed vertically in between the driver and passenger seat. The bracket which would hold it has two small stainless screws about 1/4 inch long. Could I simply screw the bracket into the rear fire wall without hitting any wires or critical components?? Thanks for your comments,

Mike

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#2 Ricambi America, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On my 348, I made a replacement parcel shelf and covered it in black carpet that perfectly matches the car. I bolted the extinguisher bracket to that replacement panel, then installed the panel.

1. Extinguisher doesn't get pummeled by seat belts (my original idea was same location as yours)

2. Still easy to reach

3. Can reach it from standing outside the car (if necessary).

You might want to also check out the "Charness Harness" which seems like a great idea -- as long as your passenger isn't wearing anything too delicate or frilly :)

www.tradetutor.com/raceprep

Yes, it's H3R !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    They all wear frilly little outfits! : )

Love what you did for yours. Great idea. Thanks

Mike

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Daniel,

Love the installation. Looks great. Just one question -- is the parcel shelf bolted down? Installing something like that, you have to be sure that it will withstand the forces of a high speed crash and not become airborne. If the parcel shelf can be lifted out, it's not safe to bolt a fire extinguisher to it. The mounting must be solid. And I wouldn't depend on two little sheet metal screws that are intended for mounting the bracket on the wall in the garage. They should be through-bolted.

Regards,
    Steve

p.s. I'm currently debating where to mount my H3R in my Mondi, so I've been thinking about those issues.

5. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    good point Daniel on the sheetmetal screws. Guess it won't be just a simple mount as I thought. I think I will just get the passenger seat bracket
    Mike

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Steve -

Good points! The shelf is very securely screwed into the original shelf; the fire extinguisher is *bolted* into the replacement shelf using all 6 bolt-holes. I had the exact same thought -- and fear of being decapitated by the apparatus.

Although the headrests would intuitively block most of the flying debris, things go in the most unpredictable locations during an accident.

7. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Daniel,

Sounds like a very good, solid installation. Hopefully I can find a good spot for mine in the Mondi. I'm having the same thoughts about unpredictable airborne objects in the event of a crash. Safety first, especially since we tend to take these cars up to fairly high speeds.

Regards,
    Steve