550 Question: What is this thing? | FerrariChat

550 Question: What is this thing?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Cielo, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There is a black plastic box with 5 big circular holes in it (looks almost like a cup holding tray) under the carpet directly behind the driver's seat. If you pull it out it covers nothing and just creates a rectangular hump in the carpet. What the heck is this for? There is carpet under it also so do you think it is to be thrown away and the formed carpeted cavity used to store something - maybe the manual? It must have some purpose. This is the kind of thing that bugs me until I figure it out so some quick help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    It's for your gun.... just remove the packer and put a nice little case in there instead.

Thoughtful aren't they... the italians.....

No, seriously, it must be for some ECU or something that is only used in some markets I guess.

3. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    but my .357 won't fit. Any other ideas. Come on guys, your the experts and international. Does anyone out there actually have something other than the plastic piece?

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I guess you Texans do everything on the "huge" side of the norm.....

Maybe you could just keep your spare ammo in there, and mount the gun to the roof.....

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Really looks like a fixture put there so that they could keep the carpet identical on all cars.
    Maybe they thought that the 550's interior was getting way too roomy and practical by Ferrari standards ?

6. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No idea...glad you bring it up though--indeed a curiousity. Scratched my head for a bit when I discovered it, but nothing.

7. 348CH

348CH Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    The Reverend Dr.

It has to do with the different models released in different markets...

That black-plastic box with the 'cup holders' is due to the specialy commissioned highly-secret Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden models. If you look carefully, you'll see petrie dishes fit nicely in each of the cut-outs. Perfect for transporting bio-tech WMDs in and out of Iraq. Keeps 'em nice and warm and growing.

Fortunately, there never were any WMDs and hence the transport vessel in all 550s remains unused.

8. BlueMaranello

BlueMaranello Karting

May 29, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've got a UK car (RHD) and there is a lot of kit there in mine. It fills the space and has an aerial and multipin connector as well as power. No labels or reference in the manual - my assumption is security unit and tracker. Does trakbak security come as standard in the US?

9. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Dang, Steve, now I am gonna have to go look & see if my car has one, too.

Maybe it's for smuggling crystal meth?

:D

10. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Still nobody has a picture of this "secret'" thing??