Boxer airbox cover foam needed | FerrariChat

Boxer airbox cover foam needed

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by copyboy, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. copyboy

copyboy Karting

Aug 31, 2004
    columbus, ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike T
    Does anybody know where to get original/repro foam that fits inside of the airbox covers abve the engine. Mine is old, dingy, and falling apart.

Thanks,

Mike

2. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    that item is yet another unobtanium, from what I understand...mine was also falling apart despite less than 10,000 km on the car and many years in a heated/ac garage. I found some great stuff at J C Whitney, and I installed it in less than one hour. It is a great replacement though hardly original...I have the info in my office if you want it...please email me.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#3 Ricambi America, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. nemrava

nemrava Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Joseph Nemrava
  5. copyboy

copyboy Karting

Aug 31, 2004
    columbus, ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike T
    I will keep looking, but I would like to have your info in case I cannot find original looking foam. Thanks!

6. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I apologize...I thought the request was for the foam above the covers, not inside it...please disregard my post

7. copyboy

copyboy Karting

Aug 31, 2004
    columbus, ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike T
    It is actually the foam on the underside of the engine cover, under the two black rectangular airboxes (maybe I am not using the correct terminology).

Thanks for the help.

Mike

8. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I correct myself once more...yes the foam above the airboxes but under the engine cover...that is what I replaced..and that is what i purchased from JC Whitney. I tried all the Ferrari sources i knew...the original foam is no longer made or available.

9. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    and if you do find the original foam, please let me know where I can get some...

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

FWIW -- I also used JC Whitney heat insulating foam on the engine lid of my 348. I know it's not exactly comparable, but the price was right and the performance is just fine. Mine has a metallic foil on one side, and thick insulating foam on the other side.

I got such a big roll of the stuff, I ended up giving a chunk away to another local Fchatter.

Some of the original Ferrari stuff was absolute crap when manufactuered originally, and it's only gotten worse with time. For me, the JCW stuff was better & cheaper than trying to find an OEM version.

11. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I agree with the last post. Just because it is in a Ferrari does not make it the best or for that matter acceptable. The original foam was garbage and ey stuff is quite improved. Mine too has the metallic foil...I think it makes it work better, reflects and shields the heat...and I don't believe it undervalues my Boxer in the least bit.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well Ferrari must have gotten it somewhere, its probably some type of ac insulation.

13. copyboy

copyboy Karting

Aug 31, 2004
    columbus, ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike T
    Again, thank you (and everybody who is nice enough to take the time to help. This site, and the members, are an invaluable resource. I will try it out.

Mike