How long for a 328 battery to go flat? | FerrariChat

How long for a 328 battery to go flat?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by f328nvl, Mar 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    Been having flat battery problems recently. Not sure if it's because the car doesn't get used as much as it did (gone back to work + winter) or if it needs a new battery. How long does it take anybody else's to discharge?

I've got a charger so it's no big deal, it's just a pain in the neck to lug the spare wheel out to attach it to the battery every time I want to go out.

jg

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK

It depends - does it have an alarm/immobiliser and or tracking device in it & is the alarm set? If it doesn't (or the alarm isn't set) then about the only thing running should be the clock & it should last for weeks.

Get yourself a battery conditioner that plugs in the cigarette lighter - I use one on my 328 & its great. Apart from making sure the thing is always charged when I want to use the car it also prolongs battery life. The battery in my car is the same one as when I bought it nearly 6 years ago & its still as strong as an ox.

rgds

Iain

3. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    Ian

Thanks, where can you get the conditioner from? The car's alarmed but doesn't have a tracker precisely because it'd drain the battery.

jg

4. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I got mine from Talacrest - but do a search of Google for "battery conditioner" - there are a number of different places that sell them on-line. Not all of them come with the cigar lighter plug as standard but it is a very easy way to connect it.

rgds

Iain

5. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I got mine from a company called airflow. About £50. Doesn't work on a dead battery tho (surprise surprise).

On mine there is a jump point in the engine compartment - have a look, you might have one..saves lugging the wheel out?

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Hi Marc,
    There really is a jump point in the back? Could you tell me where it is?

Thanks.

7. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Will take a pic tonight. from memory it is towards the back left of the engine bay with a black cap on it. Never used it, it was pointed out to me.

8. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
  9. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #9 hedge, Apr 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is what I was told is a + jump point. Haven't used it but can't imagine what else it could be. Can anyone shed light on how it works?? Jump leads no good clearly as it looks like something needs to be plugged in to it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Absolutely not!!! Thats the Jack point to plug into the ECU for diagnostics.

I.

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Marc,
    I have that same "port", but don't know what it is for. Obviously would need some sort of connector to jump start the car.

12. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Good job I never tried attaching jump leads to it last week! :O

Didn't think they were that clever in the 80's!

13. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Iain is absolutely correct the Jack point is to plug into the ECU for diagnostics.

Mark

14. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    Nice clean engine Marc. Did you do that yourself or was it clean when you bought it?