Any Doctor Who fans here ! | FerrariChat

Any Doctor Who fans here !

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by FLATOUTRACING, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    This may have been discussed in another post but I just spoke with a friend in the UK who saw the new Doctor Who debut. Apparently it's gotten good reviews and will be coming to the states soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4385801.stm

I was a big Doctor Who fan in the early 80's (read nerd !!). I used to watch it on our local PBS channel on Saturday evenings when Tom Baker was the star. I liked all the Doctor Who's but Pertwee (sp?) and Baker where my favorites.

I had long since forgotten about the show until someone told me they would be bringing it back.

Any UK'ers here on F chat seen the new one?

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I watched the first one, and i must say it was brilliant, Chris and Billie really are great as the Doc and assistant, if you liked the original you will really love this one, and the Daleks are back :D

3. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one! I used to love the Tom Baker series and once Lalla Ward showed up it was just too much for my teenaged self. Looking forward to checking out the new one. (Exterminate! Exterminate!)

P.S. On the topic of British sci-fi, I really miss Space:1999 as well.

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    if your reference is about dale....then yes, i'm a big fan of dr. who...

5. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    There is a Dr. Who here, non?

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I quite like the show - loved it when I was a kid. The Daleks and Cybermen were the best "enemies" and the whole concept of The Master was cool.

Some of the episodes were downright silly though, and its hard not to laugh at the costumes. Its hard not to go ga-ga over Tegan!

On a similar note, anyone remember Blake 7? Another of my fave shows, along with Mr. Bean, Black Adder, and Red Dwarf. All great shows, some of which can be seen on PBS and/or BBC America.

7. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    If anyone hears of the US release of the new episodes...PLEASE post info!

Watched the show from 1972 thru the final episodes in the Chicago area. Only show I ever liked as much (well, ok...sometimes better) was Blakes 7.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I presume that you guys ain't talking bout me. ;(

Actually, I never saw this show. When was it on? Perhaps you have heard about lost weekends? I have a couple of lost decades.

Dr "Who Dat?" Who

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I used to watch it. Loved the guy with the scarf.

10. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Ah yes, back when PBS was something other than "what's your junk worth" auctions, and cable carried local channels (1984 or so), I had the whole saturday sequence: A 1.5 hour Dr Who on NH PBS, followed by an hour of Tripods, then Blakes 7 on RI PBS, followed by another 1.5 hours of DrWho from RI. (Why yes, I am a nerd. ;))

(bong) In-formation: When they finally brought back Blake in a sequel, they really killed off that series.

Alas, these days, the PBS channels only run Dr.Who during begathons.

(Anyone else notice that BBC-America has to get its Benny Hill reruns from Freemantle (Aust)? Apparently Benny is "P.I." in UK.)

11. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I watched Dr Who on Saturday with an 8 year old boy at my side. It was perfect! Just scary enough, just silly enough, and it was really fast-paced. It has been really hyped in the UK so I was expecting to be disappointed, but I wasn't. I taped it and dropped the tape off at my Dad's house this morning as he was pissed off that he'd missed it!

12. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Enjoyed both, but Blakes7 was better than Dr.Who imho.

Better yet was the original BBC radio broadcast of the Hitchhiker's Guide. Brilliant.