Essential Dino Tools for the Road. | FerrariChat

Essential Dino Tools for the Road.

Discussion in '206/246' started by Kliz, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Having driven a 356 Porsche for 42+ years, I've acquired what I consider to be the 12 essential travel tools for that car. That's not to say I limit myself to those 12 but they are the ones I won't leave home without. Usually, the amount of tools packed for a long road trip is inversely proportional to the volume of my wife's luggage. I've found that the luggage space in my 246 Dino is about 1/2 that of the Porsche so the problem becomes much more acute for Dino trips.

Since the Dino is new to me I would be very interested to hear from other Dino "drivers" as to which 12 tools they thought to be the most essential for the road. Let's assume, for this exercise, the jack kit and the factory tool kit are excluded. Those of us fortunate enough to have a factory tool kit probably have it locked-up anyway, and the jack (or equivalent) is a non-variable.

So, let's hear from you experienced Dino drivers!

Bill

2. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Two most important tools, not listed in the owner's manual
    Cell phone and a credit card! the factory tach cloth is to wipe your brow.

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i have to admit. none of the tools in the dino tool roll would benefit me or my wife. the tools are basically crap. even if my wife tried 5o use them. i would be pissed!

for what it's worth, dino items are, for the most part, trash. having said that, i would regard the tools as having some value. if she didn't call me, they would be worth far less. these tools and other items are more collector items than anything else.

my value and her value are INCREDIBLY different!!!!!!

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tom,

That's the post of the day!

Regards,

Art S.

5. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    A shovel with a wooden handle. You can burn the handle if its cold by the side of the road as you wait for a ride after burying the car.

Jim S.

6. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    If I had a Factory Tach cloth, it'd be locked-up with the "crappy" factory tools. Costco micro-fiber towels work for me. The cell phone is a great idea and I carry one at all times but some areas of Central & Eastern Oregon have no cell service. AAA towing is no good if no cell phone! This may not be an issue where some of you live and drive but, where I live and drive, I can be 70 miles from the nearest wide-spot in the road with no phone service.

Although it's no guarantee, having those 12 "essential" tools just might make the difference between abandoning your Dino and walking/hitchhiking or driving that 70 miles to help.

I know this is pretty extreme but I'm trying to coax some serious info out of you experienced Dino drivers. Doesn't anyone plan for and drive their Dinos X-country? I agree, they're beautiful to look at in the garage but they're a hell-of-lot more fun to drive - especially on the open roads and through the mountains!

Bill

7. playdr

playdr Rookie

Jan 13, 2005
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Mike McLean
    As unusual as it may sound I never had the need of any tools on my sojurns with the Dino. Actually I did not get much in the way of the factory tool kit, two wrenches and a jack. Having said that I have done many rallys, most of which we pushed to the limits of the organizers desires, and then some. The damn thing is reliable as hell even when pressed. It has never overheated in summer; I don't drive it in the winter (heater does'nt work anyway), other than breaking a headlight selector control with a hasty movement, the car has always been there.
    Mike

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Bill.

Ok, I'll take a stab at it.

1 - a quart of the right oil.
    2 - crazy glue to re-attach odds and ends and rear view mirror glue for the vent window catches.
    3 - small set of metric wrenches to go with the ones in the toolkit.
    4 - screwdriver plain & philips - the ones that come with the car are worth too much to use.
    5 - jumper cables
    6 - fire extinguisher.
    7 - window crank - when the power windows fail.
    8 - silicone spray - for when they don't.
    9 - blanket - for when the car poops out at night (long wait for the repair/tow truck, you don't want to freeze.)
    10 - the main fuse, what is it 70 amp? that is on the firewall, along with at least one replacement for all of the other fuses.
    11 - $500 in $20's - to pay for the tow truck and any repairs, if they can make them.
    12 - Small first aid kit. To stop the bleeding from your attempted repairs.

BTW. This is my no BS list. I have all of these items in my Dino, and except for the mirror clue, I have never (knock on wood) had to use them other than to jump start someone elses car.

DM

9. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Bill - sorry for the sarcasm about the shovel. Here is a real list. Size and weight are considerations, thus there are numerous items that take little space and weigh nothing:

-Fuses - including main fuse on firewall
    -Alternator brushes - frequent failure item - may be difficult to find on the road.
    -Spare voltage regulator
    -Workshop manual
    -Would not bother with jumper cables - frequent item that others will have -car can be jumped-started with a few helpers pushing
    -Remove thermostat before setting out on trip - remove a failure item or bring a spare
    -Standard metric tool kit with spanners, sockets, drive and screwdrivers
    -Spare drive belt for alternator - water pump.
    -Spare coolant expansion tank cap - frequent failure item leads to overheating
    -5-foot spool of fuel hose and spare couplers should you need to insert new line somewhere in the system.
    - box of latex gloves to work on car and maintain clean hands
    - work clothing that can be stuffed into trunk alongside wheel well
    - Voltmeter - multimeter - spool of 14 gauge wire - crimp connectors and crimp tool
    - Black electrical tape
    - Spare bulbs
    - Sandpaper to clean contacts, fuses, bulb contacts, etc.
    - Wire hangers to hang muffler, or other things - the auto mechanic's equivalent to duct tape!
    - Duct tape
    - Spool of mechanic's wire - similar to wire used to safety wire nuts/bolts - for hanging things and tying things together
    - Towels - rags

Most of these items are small and light-weight, and can be stuffed in various places.

Have fun.

Jim S.

10. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Here's what I carry in my Lotus along with the cell phone:

Duct tape
    Fuses
    Fire extinguisher
    Jumper cables
    Pliers
    Adjustable wrench (everything important seems to be 1/2" or 7/16")
    Rag
    Flash light.

I've never used any of these BTW! Well, the flashlight I did.

Ken

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    What Tom failed to mention is a AAA card. Its not the Ferrari I'm worried about its the Ford truck that hauls it.

Freeman

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #12 shaughnessy, Mar 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Go Freeman tell the story now F250 Diesel Ford truck failed (once) and we had to take the 288GTO out of the trailer in the rain to complete the journey 100 miles. What is a good road trip with some entertainment!!!!

24 Gallons of oil to get home from SF with 0313EU in the trailer. Remeber 27-28 miles to the gallon. Blown O ring for turbo oil pressure line.

And yes I do have the AAA card, NOW!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Just out of curiosity, Bill, what's on your list for the 356?

--Matt

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    As I remember it, we had to put 3 gallons (not quarts!) of oil in the truck every 41 miles (not 410!) to get home. The trailer was black from the oil! This is one Ford truck that will never rust! All this and it never stopped Tom once. So if anyone thinks he won't go after a hunch for a possible Ferrari barn find you are dead wrong. I have been at a remote mountain top in the Santa Monica Mountains for hours with Tom and his son John during hot weather with no water, no cell phone coverage, a trailer with a broken winch and minimal tools retieving a burned out Maserati Ghibli Spyder from a container which was in the "Malibu Fires" from a few years before using only the tools of nature overcoming rats(no lie), rocks, and snakes. The tools used in the end? Sweat, elbow grease and a tree! Tom now has a working winch, some tools(usually the Ferrari tool bags that just happen to be in his truck) and he brings some Diet Cokes. I now know whenever I take off with Tom that I have my pockets fill with Snickers and quick energy bars and I bring water bottles. It is like Survivor! Tom is thinking of charging clients to go on these trips!

Freeman

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you can or have access to one to borrow..a spare Dinoplex. These things have a bad reputation for crapping out at the worst time. And if you indeed feel the need to boost your car..don't. Have it towed. A votage spike will cause that dinoplex to quite completly.

16. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Matt!

My "Essential" 12 traveling tools for the 356 are:

1 32mm 1/2" drive socket
    1 1/2" drive 17" Breaker bar
    4 Open End Wrenches; 7x9, 10x11, 12x14, 13x15
    1 Box End Wrench; 13x15
    1 Adjustable Spanner - 8"
    1 Spark Plug T-handle Tool (from Factory Tool Kit)
    1 Screwdriver - 4-in-1 Phillips/Slot Combo
    1 Pliers - 6" Lineman
    1 Feeler Gage - .004, .006, .016 set

All of the above, except for the 32mm and 17" bar fit in a roll-up bag about the size of a Dino tool bag.

I also carry the following spare parts/accessories in a 7"x9"x6" soft side bag: fan/generator pulley halves w/nut and shims, accellerator linkage R & R kit, fuel pump R & R kit, 4 spark plugs, clutch cable, points/cond. set, fuses, H4 headlight lamp, tail/stop light bulbs, in-line fuel filter, 2 jumper wires w/clips, 6 volt test lamp, voltmeter, Uni-syn air flow meter, oil lines(to/from filter), 1 ea. front & rear wheel bearing, distributor cap w/rotor, Duct Tape, small flashlight, rubber surgical gloves, 2 shop clothes.

Of course, I also carry a fire extinguisher, 1st Aid kit, 2 qts. oil, jack/lug wrench, window cleaning supplies, McGuire's Quick Detailer and polishing clothes, 3 D-Cell flashlight, WD-40, a small ground cloth, blanket and a pack of Costco Baby Wipes. I might throw in a few other bits depending on the nature and perceived risks of the particular trip.

Believe-it-or-not, all this stuff packs neatly in the spare wheel well, leaving every cubic inch of luggage space available for my traveling companion of 38 years. She does allow me space for one small duffel-bag.

Well, there you have it - you asked and you got the whole 9 yards.

I appreciate your inquiry!
    Bill

17. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Thanks for the input Dave!
    I do need to source a window crank or will another tool work?
    Bill

18. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Jim (jeselevan)!
    No problem! If we don't maintain a healthy sense of humor we're too damned "tight-assed" to own these old cars!
    A spare voltage regulator and coil is a good idea - even for my Porsche.
    Thanks for the input! I do appreciate everyone's participation. It will be helpful!
    Bill

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

One of the few tools that has not yet gone crazy. I've seen them for less than $200 on occasion. (Which is still stupid money for a plastic crank.)

I bet Dennis McCann has one. IF not, I do know of a guy who has one, if you want his name and email, PM me.

Dave

20. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    And how much of this stuff have you ever used "in the field"? A uni-syn? Wheel bearings???

Ken

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've driven from Seattle to SF/Monterey to LA on several trips and carry:

1) 3 halon fire extinguishers
    2) Spark plugs and wrench
    3) Oil
    4) distilled water
    5) spare fuses
    6) tool kit - combination wrenches, ratchet with hex & allen drives, screwdrivers, pliers, cutters, elec tape
    7) A full set of towels from the Marriott (FCA hotel)

Years ago I gutted the Marelli ignition box and had permatune rebuild it so I haven't had ignition problems.

I also bought the Snap-On "shorty" combination wrenches that allow access in tight places.

22. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Good question Ken!

In 42 years (23 driving and 19 in storage) and 150,000 miles, aside from the jack for one flat tire, the 32mm socket and the 17" breaker bar are the only "essential" tools ever used in an "emergency" situation - replaced a fan/generator belt about to fail in Lewiston, ID. There were only two other incidents that I can recall where the 356 would not start or run. One was a frozen starter solenoid where a simple push was the remedy. The second was a broken Spider in the transmission where I was fortunate enough to be close to a phone, home and a tow. There may have been a couple dead battery issues but that's not an emergency.

My "essential" tools, including the Unisyn, have been used on the road more on other's cars than my own. The wheel bearings may be over-kill but don't take up much room. One might be able to find a mechanic in the middle of Nowhere, NV but you think he'd have a rear wheel bearing or any other Porsche/Dino parts for that matter? Thorough pre-trip mantainence and prep is equally important for a trouble-free road trip.

Tools (parts) are like a good insurance policy - if you gottum it ain't gonna break; if you don't, Murphy'll be smilin down on you!

Happy Driving!
    Bill

23. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Okay, you're talking taking the car on long road trips; that's different! I've never gone more than 70 miles from home in the Lotus, but if I did I'd have a much more interesting set of tools as well! I'd bring all the specialty Lotus tools along with coolant, a spare heater valve, spare cassette for the water pump...basically as much of my garage as I could stuff in!

Ken

24. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Thanks Synchro!

Halon extinguishers are a very good idea. I am replacing my old "dirty" ones.
    I too have a Perma-Tune rebuilt Dinoplex and it looks like the backup system is still there(?) - I'm still exploring and learning.

What's the distilled water for - drinking or the radiator? I haven't had a water-cooled sports car for 42+ years.

Bill

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I reccomend also carrying:

- 2 cans of Flat-Fix
    - Flashlight
    - Flairs
    - Ducktape
    - String
    - Extra electrical wire