1985 Testarossa throttle sticking | FerrariChat

1985 Testarossa throttle sticking

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Flyyellow, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flyyellow

Flyyellow Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    glenn e wickstrom
    I have had the throttle cable replaced by my Ferrari mech. twice. It seems to stick at low speeds and at idle. 1,500/2000 RPM. Upon feathering the gas pedal, it returns to normal. I notice that when the gas pedal is first depressed, it seems to hang up a bit but never at high speeds. Help! Any advise anyone? thanks Glenn

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Could be a problem with the cable or the pedal linkage - some of the F-cars have quite intricate linkages behind the gas pedal I believe. Has any major work been done that necessitated the removal of the cable in any way? If so was it routed correctly when re-installed?

Could also be some kind of idle valve issue with the injection system. Suggest you seek out a man who really knows about the thing!

I.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    TRossas have a fiddly little bracket to pass the cable through, that's buried down in between the metering units and water pipes.

It's an absolute 8itch to pull the cable through... so much so I have made a special tool for exactly that purpose.

Triple check your cable passes through the hole correctly.

Then also, re-check all around the floor section near the pedal and behind the centre console part.

Also check that you are actually getting full throttle... and just as importantly, that you are not stretching the cable by going beyond full throttle due to poor adjustment... as this is why cables break in the first place.

4. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Something very simple to consider. Those of us with floor mats that go over the original mats tend to creep forward push on the lower part of the throttle platen and cause it to stay open slightly, especialy as you describe. Try pulling the mats back or taking them out. I believe this is the most common problem for what you are describing.

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would also verify that the throttle plates have the proper clearance. I had an occassional "sticking" situation when I let off the gas...the throttle wouldn't return to rest....the car would idle a few hundred rpm high. But if I let the throttle snap back....all would be fine. It was only after an easy let off that it would stick. I had to regap the right side throttle plate. Oh yeah....and the floor mat issue...yep...happened to me too !

6. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    This has caught me out too. As has been said, it's normally just the floor mat sliding forward! Really, it may be that simple!

7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    This problem has been posted a number of times on the FCA technical section and every time Bill B has recommended checking the floor mats and I believe they have always been the culprit. I know I have to intentionally pull my mats back a few times during a long drive. Certainly not the only potential problem, but by for the most common. Also happens a lot with the 328.

8. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I just had this problem on my 308, mine was the valve just inside where the hose connects to the manifold.

i little carb cleaner fixed mine.