Good mechanic in Conneticut? | FerrariChat

Good mechanic in Conneticut?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by nishttdawg, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    Hi guys!

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Conneticut to get a PPI done on a prospective F355? I don't want to get it done at Miller Motorcars b/c they won't be able to do a compression test for another 3 weeks b/c of the Challenge Races coming up apparently.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-Nish

2. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Try Bill Pollard or Francois Sicard in CT or WWOC in Spring Valley, NY.

3. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Just down the road from Miller is a garage called LeMans 24. I've never used them, but have only heard good things about them.
    Also, give Wide World of Cars a call. They are just over the Tappan Zee bridge in Spring Valley, NY. and they are a Ferrari dealer.
    Look forward to seeing you on the roads!! I could use a partner in crime here in CT :) !!

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    BillPollard @ Sport Auto is excellent, I ahve used him for 15 years
    860-350-1515.
    He is 10 min N of New Milford on the w side of CT

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

bill pollard did the ppi on my 512bbi...he is a fantastic guy!

mentioned was le mans 24...that is my good friend jean louis! he is in cos cob, ct and has a tremendous history w/ luigi sr. and jr. (coco). he is a true ferrari guy and can help you if you need.

both above mentioned are fantastic!!! jean louis is the closest however.

good luck, pcb

6. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks for all the help guys, thumbs way up for the community here!

7. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Nish, I recently had a car ppi'd in Hartford area and used F40 Motorsports. They are very Ferrari knowledgeable, supplied tons of pics, did the compression and gave a thorough evaluation of the car. They even sent a flatbed over to tow the car in, as there was snow and salt on the road and the owner did not want the car driven until it cleared up, which was about the time I arrived for a personal inspection. Good folks too.

8. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    I called Bill and spoke with him for a while about the 355, but he said he refuses to work on them or even look at one. Seemed like a stand up guy though and gave me his honest opinion of the car in general.

Do you guys have the phone #'s for Lemans 24 and F40 Motorsports?

Thanks in advance

9. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
  10. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    Also anyone know of a good one in Atlanta? There are 2 cars I am checking out right now and want to get PPI's on both.

Thanks!

11. pec

pec Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Paul Carpenter
    Funny - I spoke with jean Loius in Cos Cob, and he got all shirty when I asked for references - "really, you have an Italian accent, then you must know Ferraris....sorry to ask." :)

Seems the "list" knows him, so I may give him a second shot...

I do know Bill however, as he did my PPI....I guess if some serious money entrust him with their $million cars, he must be good...no name-dropping from me. Suffice to say he ignored me for the large-wallets that where there on the day. But a great guy when he has time to speak....

Paul

12. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Citgo Le Mans 24
    392 Post Road
    Cos Cob, CT
    203-622-5892

13. vinnycar

vinnycar Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    New Canaan, CT
    Full Name:
    Vincent Cardone
    Jean Louis LeBretton has been my mechanic since I moved to CT in 1983. In my book he is a genius and a fair guy! He worked for the Ferrari racing team in the 70s under Cesare Fiorio and did work at Le Mans.

14. ferraripete

yes, jean louis may be one of the best vintage ferrari mechanics in the world! you don't need to ask for his referrences...trust me!!

he is a friend of mine since 1980...franco genesee used to work for jean louis as well. franco was/is another tremendous ferrari guy!

as a note, jean louis does not like the newer ferraris and calls them japanized.

pollard is also not a fan of 348/355's...william h and i should have mentioned that...sorry!

15. ferraripete

jean louis was also a very accomplished racer as well. he has also raced at le mans w/ the aston martin nimrod program...herb olsen run team i believe?

16. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    Do you have a number or address for Francois Sicard?

17. vinnycar

vinnycar Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    New Canaan, CT
    Full Name:
    Vincent Cardone
    Right. When I discussed acquiring my first F-car (a 94 348 Spider) with Jean Louis he indicated that the Daytona was the last "true" Ferrari and that the old man did not like the Boxer that followed at all.

18. jrg1

jrg1 Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    nyc
    Full Name:
    john
    Yeah, I guess that's why he kept the Boxer in production for ten years......

19. ferraripete

the old man was jean louis referring to luigi sr. and not enzo as i think you suspect. sr. was the person that brought jean louis to greenwich.

jean louis used to tell me how they tested the daytona race cars on hwy 95!
    must have been crazy!!

20. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    call David Castelhano at 561-596-8119. It is a Florida number but he is up there and has a shop for some very exclusive independent work.

Excellend ferrari mechanic.

Mention my name and he will take your work.

21. ferraripete

martin, is franco genesee in fla? i heard he may be at shelton? do you know of franco?

22. nishttdawg

nishttdawg Karting

Nov 15, 2003
    Toronto, Ontario
    This is becoming very weird...

F40 said they are too busy to look at anything this coming week b/c of some show they are doing

Bill Pollard said he doesn't look at 355's

Miller Motorcar said they are too busy for the next 2 weeks b/c of upcoming Challenge Race

Jean Louis at Lemans 24 said Connecticut State Law doesn't allow mechanics to take parts off of cars for inspection (wheels, sparkplugs to check compression etc.)

Is it that hard to get a PPI done???

Know of anyone else guys?

23. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

24. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Jean-Louis might be a little gun shy when it comes to the state of CT and laws. He was an emissions certified garage a couple of years ago. But he got caught falsifying an emissions test for a Ferrari. I never heard what penalty he received for doing this, other than losing his emissions testing certification, but the state was looking to make an example of him as his garage was the first to be caught doing this under the new and current emissions program.
    I agree with Bruce, give WWoC a call and ask for Justin or Kevin.

25. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Baldassare,

Francois Sicard does not work on new stuff. In fact, the 308 is too new to him. He has enough work just doing the old V-12s.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. If you still want to reach him, ask Tom Yang (tomyang.net) for the contact info.