288 GTO | FerrariChat

288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ^@#&, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    Why is the 288 GTO considered a super ferrari like the F40, F50, and Enzo???

2. millerphatty

millerphatty Karting
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Davenport, IA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Miller
    The 288 is basically an F-40 with a smaller displacement motor, and a lot less steroids added to the body.
    the 288 is probably my favorite Ferrari ever built!! It is a few tics slower than the F-40 but it looks like a crazy 308. If you want a sleeper this is the ferrari for you!!

Oh by the way, that car is SEXY!!!!

3. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan

I can only think that you are young, and dont remember when the 288 ruled the world, and was (arguably) the fastest road car (depending on who you believe) basically your question is like some one asking today why is the enzo /mclaren f1/ bugatti veyron considered a super-hypercar.
    dont get me wrong im not trying to be patronising but the 288 was THE car to own back in 1985, now these days, of course you could probably burn one off in an f430 or gallardo, but its a limited collector car and they will always be held in esteem.Much the same way that you could probably smoke a Porsche 959 in a modern day 996 turbo, but 996s, galardos etc are all 'mere' production cars. Hope this answers your question.
    Plus the 288 is drop dead gorgeous, and that always helps a cars appreciation society!

4. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    One could argue that the first true supercar was the lamborghini Miura and for Ferrari the Daytona.
    However the 288 GTO was the first homologation special (group B).

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

In one word..." TWINTURBO"

6. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I'm 26 years old at present however when i was say 16, I saw a picture of the 228 GTO and thought it looked absolutley gorgeous. I'm only ever enthusiastic about supercars and this car seemed to do it for me and i was only a teen.

I understand the question raised as alot of folk may think its really no different to a 308 or 328 etc, BUT IT IS, the presence from them is unbelievable!!!

My personal opinion is that it is the Ferrari that couldnt look anymore like a ferrari if it tried. Very strange to think about that I would have the Enzo over the F50, the F50 over the F40 and the F40 over the 288, but still I think the 288 is the nicest looking of them all.

Truly a supercar in my books and thats just on looks!

7. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Why wouldn´t it be?

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i would buy the 288GTO over any of the other "supercars" i could care less what else comes along or what else is faster. the 299 simply "does it" for me , as does an old carb Countach with no wing on the back. both are out of my league....... i will settle for a carb BB512 :) when the time is right :)

9. millerphatty

millerphatty Karting
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Davenport, IA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Miller
    I agrre with that last statement. There is just something mechanically pleasing about older cars. Not much tinkering going on under the hood of the Enzo, but Roland Linder and Dave Helms tear into Roland's F-40 on a weekly basis. The 288 is much the same, and there is just simply something about the way those cars were made. That was in the days when the entire F1 car was made right next to the street cars! And there is just something about the way the cars were different. I like the reverse opening hood! on both the 288 and the Boxer. They did it to make it look good while you were working on it!! Gotta love those Italians!!

In short, The Enzo would be my first choice if I fit!!
    Then the 288
    then the F50 barchetta
    Then the F40 simply because it is such a tight fit for me!
    All of them would come before any Lamborghini though!!

10. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    Wanna try?

11. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    .... are you Keith Martin ;)

12. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    i did say 'probably', but if you supply the Porsches, then hell yeah i wanna try!

13. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Or two.

14. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C

Amen to that.

15. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
  16. FrankTavani

FrankTavani Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    What is a GTO worth today? Ballpark. Just curious. Saw one up close today at a dealership today. Really cool car. Loved it.

17. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    The 288 GTO....I remember as a kid having a 1:18 model of it! Damn near broke my cousin's arms when he busted the door off!!!!

I was only 7 when that car came out...loved it thne, and appreciate it more now! Got a chance to sit in one a couple years back. My grandmothers very close friend has a pretty extensive car collection which the 288 GTO is one of them. Damn near had to clean the floor mats, seats, and stearing wheel off before I got out! Just something about that car! Didn't drive it....didn't get a ride in it.....didn't even get to hear it run. Just touched it and sat it in. Someday!!!!

Jay

18. 288_GTO

288_GTO Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Gstaad, Switzerland
    December 19, 2003
    1985 Ferrari 288GTO
    19216 Miles
    "Excellent" condition
    $272,506 USD
    "Strong" price.....

I'd say it's market......They will go up with time. Some say the 308 similarities soften the GTO's price, but with a new generation of Ferrari buyers growing up (in age and $) the 308 is the defining Ferrari design. The 288GTO will reap the greatest monetary rewards since it is the penultimate of that design.

19. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    One of my best friends sold his 288 last month, it won Platinum at Cavallino, FCA Nationals, Concourso Italiano, Best of Show at FFQC it sold for $325,000.

20. FrankTavani

FrankTavani Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    What are F40's going for?

21. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    There are a couple of threads going on here that maybe I can help with. Prices for 288s and F40s vary widely on a couple of factors. For 288s, it's mileage, EPA/DOT and BAR sticker. In general, you can pick up non-CA legal cars for under $300K, US cars add another $25K - $50K and CA legal cars another $25K. There are exceptions for extremely low mileage cars. I recently saw a 288 with approximately 350 miles on it from new in the Midwest. It was a legit car and probably worth $400 to $450K depending on how bad a collector wants it. The 288 that sold for $325K was a very nice, higher mileage 288. It was a great car for the money. For F40s, it's year produced, mileage and track time. Figure under $300K for high mileage (for an F40, that's anything over 12K miles), $300K to $325K for normal mileage cars. 1992s are the most desirable (better brakes, better software, etc.), 1990s the least. Late model run 1991s sometimes have the 1992 goodies. In general, figure an extra $25K for the 1992s. Track time deducts from the price.

Why is a 288 so cool? Well, I'm biased here as an owner. I've also owned numerous Ferraris over the years and generally keep them for a few years and then sell them. The one Ferrari that didn't go through this cycle? Yup, the GTO. It's fast, great looking, drives easily in traffic, never overheats, is comfortable (a big thing for the Wife Accpetance Factor compared to the F40), etc., etc. I've taken the car to the track and have had no problem keeping up with F40s, Enzos, F50s, 360 Challenge Stradales, 355 Challenge cars, etc. The car has passed various F40s, F50s, 360s, Enzos, etc. at the track. The most telling thing is on the straights were driver ability is no longer a factor. I was able to keep up with a 360 Challenge Stradale (430HP and no-lift shifting) with no problem. The only two cars I can remember that pulled the GTO on a straight were an Enzo and a modified Corvette Z06 with a supercharger that put out 580HP at the real wheels according to the owner (a Ferrari 355 owner). The GTO still ended up passing both of those cars on the track. All this with an unmodified car. All I did is change brake pads and tires. The car was still using the same dinky little brake calipers that come with the car. How's this all possible you ask? Answer: weight. What most people forget is that besides all the other great qualities of the car, it's lighter than all those wondercars except for an early European F40. US F40s are some 400 lbs heavier than those.

But, it is easy to make an F40 into a bullet (bigger turbos, intercoolers, brake kits, straight cut gears, etc.), all it takes is money. And you don't need any of those silly $30K brakes that come on the Enzo and Challenge Stradales.

22. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Beautiful post Shill and very true. great sounding cars too. Last Ferrari race I went to at Sears Point, there was a 288 just tearing it up and running or in some cases out running 360 challenge cars. You were wise to keep it.
    There is a very nice "built" black one at Fantasy Jucntion for under 200k right now. Apperently has over 220k into it, looks every bit the part and is a super mean looking unit.

23. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    My findings on the 288 after a ride on Monday. I offer it for your pleasure....

I kinda feel that whilst "modern" Ferrari are stunning devices for going fast, Stylistically though, they have not improved since the 308 shape (I'd like to stress that this is merely my own somewhat moronic opinion). And if a 308 were made of flesh and blood and stuffed full of nandralone, the 288 would be the likely outcome.

Performance wise, it is very impressive. Around Silverstone, a Stradale is a great thing; it has a incredible precision, a very linear power delivery, and an awesome amount of grip. But it is a new millenium car. The 288 is from a different age. It has 400bhp, but it delivers it in an altogether more visceral way. The turbocharged engine deliveres the power in huge lumps that are quite a kick in the back, and it barks and snorts in a more "earthy" way than a modern car. The car rolls a bit, and the tyres shriek like a peeled rat in a bucket of salt, but the subjective sense of speed is enormous. And very, very satisfying from a passenger viewpoint.

Interestingly though, when asking Joe what top speed he squeezed out of the Strad on Monday, he reckons 135-140 Mph was about the right figure; Peter (the owner\driver of the 288) said we hit 160 Mph at the fastest point, so clearly in top speed term, it ain't no slouch!

I'm not sure how these sensations compare with the F40, but the F40 is designed as a track car (rather like the Strad I suppose) and the 288 is a road car, and has to acquiesce to road car sensibilities such as ride height.

My head would say F40, but both my heart and testicles say 288GTO.

Now all I need is 6 numbers on Saturday night and I can own a true supercar......

24. phatdiablo

phatdiablo Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    Thats just plain rude :))

You know you want to, come over to the dark side.

You would jump at it if you have given the new murci some bubbles around the track....

Cheers
    -Pete