Engine Deck Lid Latch Problem | FerrariChat

Engine Deck Lid Latch Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by loreng, Mar 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. loreng

loreng Rookie

Nov 9, 2004
    My '88 Testarossa's engine compartment does not latch securely. When closing it makes a distinct latching sound, but I can lift the deck lid back up. Clearly both sides are not clasping fully closed.
    Both the top and bottom components are held in place by 2 small nuts. Is the proper adjustment to remove these nuts and shim under the component? All advise is greatly appreciated.

2. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    The receiver latches (on both sides of the engine compartment mounted to the frame) are fully adjustable by loosening the bolts. I adjusted the ones on my ex-TR up and down in small increments until the decklid latched securely, flush, and without any "kick-back" from the electric release solenoids. It sounds as if yours need to be adjusted upwards a bit.

3. loreng

loreng Rookie

Nov 9, 2004
    Eric,

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look in the morning. As I remember the latches on my car are cable operated. I did not see a solenoid, but will double check. Would this matter? The recievers are held in place by two nuts with washers. Do I loosen them and locate an adjuster on the reciever?

4. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    I'm sort of going from memory here (as I no longer own the TR), but if I recall correctly the latches in the engine compart. can be adjusted up and down by hand simply by loosening the mounting nuts/washers (and then retightened for checking closure). It didn't take much adjustment on mine to get things to latch securely and correctly, but I did have to play with the adjustments on each side a little to get it just right.

It is a bit of a hastle, as you have to loosen, adjust, tighten, close, check and repeat the process until you have it where you want it (and also make sure that you don't get a decklid open warning light on the dash).

The latches are connected to the release lever via a cable, but I could have sworn that there was some sort of electrical assist to the latches, as you can certainly hear the latches lock / release almost automatically when adjusting and closing.

5. twoferraristom

Apr 2, 2004
    I had a similar problem on my 355. I thought it was the latch. My lid release in the driver's compartment would open the lid, but then the lid would not latch. It also made a clicking sound when you tried to close it. It happened to me on my drive home from Arizona. I took the cable cover tube off located next to the latch in the engine compartment. This exposes the 2 cables to the latch. One is the emergency release cable. The other is from the release handle in the driver's compartment. I grabbed the cable that goes to the driver's compartment latch and pulled it to the side( or an upward pull on the horizontal cable).
    This took the slack out of the release cable. The cable was binding in the sheathing. The lid then latched. I used the emergency release cable the rest of the trip. Once I took the tension out of the release cable, the latch and the emergency cable worked fine.You then need to determine why the cable is not releasing . BE CAREFUL when you play with the latch adjustment!!!You could put it in a position to where it won't release nomatter what you do !!
    Try the cables first. Good Luck.