To spider or not to spider... | FerrariChat

To spider or not to spider...

Discussion in '360/430' started by LeoExotic, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    wondering is there a big difference in the 355 spider compared to the 355 GTS targa. I have had convertibles in the past but not a targa top.

Also how bad are the mechanisms in the 355. I have heard horror stories about them.

thanks
    Leo

2. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    Having owned a 1996 355 spider for two years and lowering and raising the roof over 300 times, I never had a problem. It's a great car.

3. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    While we're on the topic how is wind noise around higher speeds with the top up?

Regards,
    Kevin

4. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    Up to 120 mph it was not a problem.

5. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Im presently driving a convertible so I think it would be a bit difficult to jump into a coupe instead of an open top car. I was looking a the GTS but there are very few mint examples compared to the spiders.

6. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Just sold my 355 GTS and can tell you it was great to have the targa top. i now have a 360 spider and thats even better. I just didnt like the look of the 355 with the top up.

vince

7. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    thats my dillema..I love the rear lines of the GTS and GTB..but the spider seems like its missing the right curves..Im undecided..

8. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

i agree. the 360 looks good as a spider with the top down. The 355 does not. IMO

9. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Funny, I think just the opposite -- I prefer the 355 Spider and the 360 Coupe. I haven't been able to put my finger on why I don't like the 360 Spider that much -- maybe it's the lumps behind the headrests. The 355 Spider is a much cleaner design.

Aesthetics can be so subjective! :)

10. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

apparently we can agree to disagree. :)

11. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Yes, Aesthetics can be subjective.....but in this case YOUR JUST PLAIN RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

I've heard this popular opinion as well: 355 as a spider, 360 as a coupe. Fact is, all Ferrari's are freakin' beautiful....when it comes to looks, style, performance and driving thrill...Ferrari is pretty much unbeatable.

The 355's convertible top has often received poor reviews. Most of those negatives comments are simply misinformed people: If the pneumatic fluid is maintained, the electric switches aligned properly and the top stored in the upright position AND the top used frequently.....THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS!

My top gets a bit noisy around 140 mph, some kind of sound ripples coming from the fabric. This problem can be avoided by simply turning the stereo up louder.

I LOVE the convertible....the 355 is one of the best-ever looking convertibles ever made. Oddly enough, I actually don't feel the openess while driving. Just a thought: as I drove my old VW Karmann Ghia convertible, the windshield was literally about 15" in front of my face. I'm only 5' 8", but the windshield of the 355 is just a few inches from my forehead....you don't really have that totally-open feel...BUT WHO CARES: you get to hear that exhaust purring!!!!!!!

Make no mistake, the owner of a 355 spider is a very lucky person!!!! :)

12. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Oh....get this:

When I first bought my 355 I was not totally familar with the proceedure for lowering the top. I took a friend for a drive (the very next day after bringing it home) and I could not get the top down. As it turns out, it was a simple matter of merely having the emergency parking brake on to activate the system....that's it. Later at home I yanked the brake on and everything worked perfect!!!

Nevertheless....my "friend" proceeded to tell everyone how the top on the 355 is a piece of junk and how my new car already had a problem that was bound to be super-ultra expensive...cause, you know: it's a Ferrari and those things are maintenance nightmares and Steve's new car already has a problem the day after he got it!!!!!!!!

Ignorant people can be so....well...ignorant!

13. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas

LOL....and it's precisely the "lumps" behind the headrests on the 360 Spider that I like so much :)

By the way, why do some spell it Spider and others Spyder?

Jas

14. shin

shin Karting

Apr 8, 2004
    Full Name:
    Shin
    The correct one is spider. Back in the old days, the top mechanism somewhat resembles a spider with its legs. :)

15. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive

The facts are, that it is Spider and not Spyder because of an official statement by National Federation of Body makers in 1924 in Milan (Italy), that declared the word to be written that way. The "y" was not in the Italian alphabet since it was a fascist and nationalist period. It's, as you know, the equivalent for "roadster", "speedster" or "two-seater". Spyder comes from a kind of horse-cab manufactured by Holmes in Dublin (Ireland), developing an idea born in GB in 1860 as a mix of the Tilbury-type cab (two seats, two wheels) with the phaeton (four seats). Holmes named his cabs "Spyders", as they resembled "Spiders" for their large and light wheels and the body (very light) suspended among them. The Spyder had two "main" seats (with a "cabriolet" cover)+ 2 "emergency" seats on the rear, for the "valets". So, when that decision was taken in 1924, they thought to oppose to "Anglicanism" but, as a matter of fact, they "corrected" Mr. Holmes!

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Beautiful - thanks Clive.

17. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Thank you for your thanks.
    I would love to take credit for the full content of my previous post, but modesty, and the sure fact that someone will recognise it, precludes me from doing so.

It was a straight forward cut and paste from an Alfa Romeo forum!

Still makes interesting reading though!

18. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    355 looks great in all three body styles - I am an open car guy so dig the spider, but also really love the aesthetics of the GTS so that you get the flying buttress C-pillars but still get to take the top off. I'd struggle to have a road car that didn't at least have a sunroof!! Noise wise, on my 348 the top doesn't fit too flash anymore, so the best trim for running seems to be top down and windows up - even with the Tubi/Hyperflows you can have a reasonable conversation at cruise although it will get difficult upon acceleration...

Also, love the history of the "spider" - it never ceases to amaze me how lexicon develops over time.

Cheers
    Kevin

19. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    My top on my 99 355 works perfect. It's never even hiccuped. You have to have it set right though for it to go down.

20. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Thanks guys......and there I thought it was a simple question :)

Jas

21. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Mine has always worked fine and I really enjoy the convertable experience. It's all personal preference........

22. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Karting

Mar 23, 2005
    Raleigh, NC - USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'm a convertible nut - always have been, probably always will be.

In my opinion, the 355 Spider is THE most perfect example of 'sports car', followed closely by the 348 Spider.

Saw a beautiful yellow/black 355 at a dealership last weekend... I couldn't take my eyes off it. Yum.

23. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I like both the 355 and the 360, Im a fan of warranties thus I purchased the 360 spider. if you live in a sunny area convertible is the way to go!

mm

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i had a 355 spider and the top mechanism on my car was terrible...a stupid design...got stuck a few times ...and i was told my friend, who is head mechanic at a f car dealership, that the 355 spider top was not best...the 360 spider had a much better top and mechanism...actually made for ferrari by the germans...worked very well...actually there was a post by 355 spider owners a few month s back where several owners said they just have up on the top and kept it down all the time.....if your s has been flawless, consider yourself one of the lucky ones

25. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    That's funny- when Porsche was developing the 911 cabriolet in the early 1980's, they had englishmen come in to design the top :)