What is actually required in an annual service? | FerrariChat

What is actually required in an annual service?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bpu699, Mar 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    What do you folks do as part of your annual service? Figured I would take the testarossa in soon...vs just doing the oil change myself...

I want to preface this by saying I love to work on my cars, and this is one of the reasons I buy older cars...easier to work on! Then again, I don't want to hurt the resale value of the car. Figure as long as a dealer does the major service, this should be ok...

The car I have had annual services done each of the last 4-5 years. It has travelled about 2000 miles in the last 5 years, prior to my purchase. It had the obligatory oil change annually. It ALSO had and annual brake bleed, coolant flush, trans flush...

This seems like over kill. Do you really NEED an annual coolant flush/brake bleed/tranny flush/diff flush??? Isn't this really done every several years??? The charge to do this was about 1200$/year...and it was all done 1.5 years ago, less than 2000 miles ago...

Do any of you just go to the dealer for an "oil change?" What do these run? I want to treat my car right, but some of these fluid services seem overthe top...

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have a TR and a repair shop. On mine I change all fluids once a year. Ferrari suggests also to change the reciever/drier once a year too. The A/C thing is over the top. The rest of the fluids? Yea, probably is too depending on how you use the car. Most people don't use the car enough to keep moisture from collecting in the motor and gear oils and I have seen severe damage in many cars from that. Brake fluid will deteriorate in a year or less depending on where you live and I change that so in 10 years I don't have to replace everything because of rust. Also I want good fresh fluid so those teeny tiny brakes in the TR won't boil the fluid when it gets used hard. You can do it all yourself with a small capital expenditure of equipment and on balance it is good prevention.

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Thanks for the input Brian. Guess I will do it all, never hurts!

4. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    An enormous amount of money!

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    In my car I do the brakes every 2 years, coolant same. Oil every 3 months regardless of miles. Gear oil went 4 years; I just changed it and YUCK!! I'm doing that every year from here on out.

BTW, I do mostly city type driving with occasional long runs, but no harsh driving as in a race or autocross situation.

Ken

6. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Bo -
    I think I spent maybe $300 last year at LFSC to have all the fluids swapped out.... but I'll double check that number.
    Of course, then I spent about $2K because she flunked the emissions test... but that is a whole different aggrivating story!
    If/when you bring her down to LFSC, give me a call! I live about 20 min from LFSC.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    On a TR using high quality fluids and filters alone will come to more than that, so don't compare apples and oranges.

8. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Ooohhhh...... PARDON ME!
    Forgot to say that I regularly ask my dealer to use toilet water.

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Wow... Good thing Lotus is in the car business and not the oil/filter business! My stuff is all name brand off the rack.

Seriously, isn't Mobil 1 synthetic good enough for a TR? Isn't any major brand gear oil good enough? If only "Ferrari" filters fit than you're at their mercy and stuck...isn't Prestone et. al. coolant good enough? I buy regular generic DOT3 brake fluid; that doesn't fly in a TR?

We just had a thread where people defended older Ferraris against expensive maintainence...if the fluids and filters alone are over $300 on a TR, then there goes THAT argument!

Ken

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

older fcars can use filters and parts from other sources once you know where ferrari sourced them from, ie porsche brake parts on a 308, vw temp switch on a 308 ect. the newer cars, (12cyl especially) have almost all ferrari, propietary parts that you cannot get substitutes for. most of the old carb v8's share some parts with other makes. i have not yet owned a older carb 12cyl so i cant speak for how much or little they share with other makes.

11. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Hi

I guess I am not as maniac as others with their cars.
    In term of fluids it :
    - engine and gearbox oil : every year
    - brake fluid and coolant : every two years

I am sorry but just do not see the point of changing oil every three months. thats a pure waste of money as the oil and its addditives only start to breakdown significantly after a year.
    One could wait two years for gearbox oil but my gearbox is a bit stiff and i feel changing every year helps.

Brake fluids : unless you are tracking the car significantly I wouldn't go shorter than 2 years. Coolant : since it is the insurance policy of an aluminium engine block I would not wait more than two years and always check that the right type of antifreeze has been put.

More importantly : drive the car properly and regularly. Garage queens even if their fluids are changed every month will be trouble.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The factory oil filter is the only one of quality I have found that fits and it is not all that expensive. Mobile One is a great oil and the car takes 14 qts of it, it also takes 18 pts of high quality gear oil. Just a little more than a tinker toy lotus.
    Dot 3 brake fluid should not be put in a lawn mower, in a car with the weight and capabilities of a TR I use only racing brake fluid.

I don't know what standards you deal with but $300 in a car these days is chump change.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Wrong, fewer and fewer propietary parts as time goes by. More interchangeability now than ever before.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

You fail to recognize that a TR is an oil tanker compared to a 308.

15. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I would have to agree with Brian on this one, changing ALL fluids once a year on Ferraris is good insurance. With the cost of parts on these cars everyone should be doing this. Also using the best quality products equalls with doing the fluids once a year. Bmw coolant, DOT4 brake fluid, synthetic oil etc. For me doing my service work on my cars and some my friends cars is fun.