328 cold idle issues | FerrariChat

328 cold idle issues

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tamf328, Mar 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    I had this problem few days ago where I attempted to start my car from cold.
    It started and ran for a few seconds and stalled. Then it was a bear to get it started. Numerous attempts finally got the engine running.

After that happened I cleaned and checked the aux air valve, cleaned the throttle body, check some vacuum lines. It hasn't failed to start since????
    I really didn't do much to it. Not sure if that fixed or it's just intermittant.

It just doesn't seem right the way this car starts from cold. It will start immediately, but the idle starts out a little below 1000rpms and climbs to ~1500rpms where it is steady until warm. But I have to rev the engine once to get the idle back down to 1000rpms. Again it idles perfectly there.
    To me that doesn't seem like the way FI should function...
    Anyone else have this kind of problem in the past?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That does not sound too bad for an CIS car. The CIS system is supposed to act that way when cold idling.

For your starting issues, seems the cleaning helps so I would just leave it alone for now. If and when it comes back, you can start poking around at the cold start valve, AAR, and the idle mixture.

Until then, let sleeping dogs ... alone.

3. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    It seems the cold idle problem was with an intermittent ground connection on the valve?? From the connector to ground. This is why it would take longer to idle down on its own. It was using the coolant temp heat transfer from the expansion tank for the airslide. The bi-metal strip wasn't being heated at times. Now it idles back down about a minute or so after you start it on it's own.
    perfect! until something else breaks....