Wheel Reconditioning needed | FerrariChat

Wheel Reconditioning needed

Discussion in '308/328' started by kgantzer, Mar 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kgantzer

kgantzer Rookie

Apr 9, 2004
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kurt Gantzer
    Can anyone recommend a reliable wheel reconditioner for me? I have searched the car magazines and internet, and not found any that stick out, so I am hoping some of you have a recommendation.

I have some Speedline 2311's that are straight and solid, but need some cosmetic reconditioning.

Thanks.

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    If that means just paint-type work, all I can tell you right now is that I've been told to go to Alloy Wheel here in metro Detroit. They've got a 586 phone number, if you need me to get it to you ask me Tuesday.
    They were referred to me by a place that can do all sorts of the "heavier" work here in town called Weldcraft. They're on the web at www.weldcraftwheels.com I just got some wheels worked on there and they did a great job.

3. kgantzer

kgantzer Rookie

Apr 9, 2004
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kurt Gantzer
    #3 kgantzer, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Heck, it looks like you need a good polish job.
    You could try Flitz yourself (available at the hardware store or through TV ads with a spiffy polishing wheel) or I'd think a good machine shop in your area could disassemble the wheels (if necessary) and polish the surfaces back up for you.

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #5 robertgarven, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When I was in high school, I got the back end loose on my BMW 633CSi, smacking a curb, and did a real number on the right rear BBS rim (1995). I thought it could never be repaired.

Records show my father UPS'd it to the Wheel Collision Center (in PA, on the web at http://www.wheelcollision.com/), and some weeks later it came back as good as new. I was obviously very happy. The repair amounted, I believe, to using a lathe-like machine (or some turning machine) and spending a lot of time gradually bending the metal back (as I recall it being explained to me, though since I was in high school I only listened at a 60% rate to people other than myself :) ).

Others may have recommendations, but it was clear that these folks are very technically competent.

--Mike

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have used Wheel Collision Center twice. They were one of the few shops that would deal with a bent 3 piece wheel. I had a very good experience with them and would use them again.

8. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    hey kurt i have a guy here in jersey, that does unbelievable work on wheels, can take polished aluminum wheels and make them look like chrome along with reconditioning them, if you want his number shoot me an e mail

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Steel wheels seem to be a problem for many shops. WCC said they would try work on one but weren't very enthusiastic about it. Anybody have any idea's who can deal with steel? (it's from a 73 Fiat)

10. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    There's a place in downtown Columbus area, close to Jegs by the fairgrounds, that can do anything at all that you need to have done to restore / recondition custom wheels. No connection to me, but I use them regularly; good work and fair prices.

If interested, reply here and I'll post the details for all.

Cheers - DM (Columbus area)

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'm interested!

12. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Wheel Medic Inc.
    600 Shoemaker Ave.
    Phone (614) 299-9866

They do a lot of business repairing wheels which have been pranged by curb contact or similar. They have refurbished both aluminum and magnesium wheels for me, and in both cases the fix was "as good as new".

Again, I have no connection here - just passing on info.

Cheers - DM