355 Spider Inner CV Boot Replacement | FerrariChat

355 Spider Inner CV Boot Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by delaney, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Must you replace the whole axle, or can you buy just the CV boot as you can with 308's etc? The parts book shows only a complete axle.

Regards,

Pete

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

you can replace just the boot.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

God I feel like a sleazy salesman. I apologize to everyone if it comes off that way... I'm just trying to post some information (because I've been an Fchat leach for so long) Anyway...

Pete -

I just sent the kits to a fellow Fchatter in TN. It comes with boots, rings, and goop all packed in a single SKU. Are you looking for gearbox or wheel side?

http://ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=261138

Wheel side is 70000868; Gearbox side is 70000867

4. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Both gear box sides have a 1/2" rip in them. When I have the things off, maybe I should do all 4? .. comments?

Regards,

Pete

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. But if it will make you feel better have at it. It is a very, very, messy job. Make sure you have plenty of disposable rags. When you take the CV joint appart, pay close attention to how the ball bearing guide inside is positioned. That way when you reassemble it everything works how it should. The job isn't hard it is just super messy. Cleaning up all the goop is the hardest part of the whole thing.

6. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    My question may sound a bit stupid, but what is a "CV boot"?

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    CV Boot = the rubber pleated boot covering the Constant-Velocity joint on the axle assembly.
    Click on the RicambiAmerica link in Daniel's post for a diagram and picture (the highlighted item 9).

8. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    What's the best type of grease to use when repacking the cv joints and boots? Also, how much grease should each boot be loaded with?

9. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    I replaced the boots on my 308 a couple of times. Not difficult when you get the bolts undone. Just messy.

Anything peculiar about boot replacement for the 355 .. or is it the same ... undo the bolts and pull them out?

Does anyhting else have to come off the car to physically get them out?

Regards,

Pete

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I just used a molly CV joint grease that I got at Pep Boys. You actually don't fill the boot with the grease. You pack the CV joint with the grease. The boot is to keep the grease from going all over the place when driving. I don't remember for sure how much grease you need, but I think it was something like 126 grams, or 136, or something like that. What ever the amount was, I do remember that I used about a tube and a half on each side. If you look in the shop manual it will say how much is needed.

11. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    As for all those towels... I think I used an entire roll of blue shop towels on a roll per axle on my 308! That was scooping most of it out that i could with rags, then soaking in my favorite solvent (gasoline) to get the rest of the old grease out.

I elected to try to use "the good stuff" which I found in the form of Redline CV-2 grease, available from places like Racer Parts Wholesale http://racerpartswholesale.com/redline6.htm Note that not many greases specifically say they're good for CV joints. As for quantity, there's a weight in the 308 book (140gm?) that corresponded to 1/3 (?) of a tube of the CV2. It turned out to be quite a bit; it was difficult to get that much in there and some people have suspected that was for the entire axle, not just one joint, but I don't subscribe to that belief.

I haven't heard anyone mention that there's some design weakness in the 355 gearbox end boot, so I think it falls into the category "If one side wore out, the other one is likely close!" I'd do them all while it's apart.

12. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Just a re-post in case it gets buried. I'd like to do these fairly soon.

Regards,

Pete

13. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    Do you know if the boots are the same on 348 and 355?
    They sure look very similar...

(A can only find boots for 355 on ricambiamerica)

Peter