Cop Cars Get Cool | FerrariChat

Cop Cars Get Cool

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Etcetera, Mar 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  2. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    The Police Magnum came out too, I hope you'll be able to buy them after they leave service (3 years maybe?).

3. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Haha. Thats what we need. More cops that think they're racers.

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I'd rather it be a cop, who at least has some modicum of vehicle handling training, than some 16 year old ricer who has no clue except where the gas pedal is.

Gnome saying?

5. UnholyDemon

UnholyDemon Karting

Oct 1, 2004
    Another "Difference Between Italy and America"
    USA
    http://www.americancarfans.com/news/2050324.013/2050324.013.1M.jpg

ITALY
    http://www.italiancar.com.au/images/3-4%20posteriore_lg.jpg

:)

6. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
  7. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    it's about time cop cars catch up with the times. The average modern economy car can outrun a crown vic. The hemi should make them think twice.

8. resident

resident Rookie

Mar 16, 2005
    Ummm...

The Dodge Charger R/T costs around $30,000.

The Lamborghini Gallardo costs over $160,000.

The 2006 Corvette Z06's 500 hp LS7 has around 70 hp/liter, but it is still an awesome engine.

I am glad that the police are getting a better car than the Ford Crown Victoria (which needs the new Mustang GT's 300 hp V-8 and 5 speed auto) to help fight crime better.
    The

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They don't even use the Crown Vic anymore, now all I see is 3.8 Impala's with chips and and Dodge Intrepids. The vehicles the cops use anymore are just useless for pursuits for the most part.

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Couple of factoids for this

1 the Dodge Hemi powered Police packages are "Recomended for Light Duty" ie Supervisors, detectives, patrol not for heavy duty police persuit and patrol.

They aint all that, as it goes the Crown Vic is still a superior heavy duty police package than either Chev or Chrysler offers, and it is over 20 years old. It has more (useable) room, more power (properly equipped) and is more rugged (can handle more abuse) the nature of those FWD chipped Impalas are inherently unstable and very costly to maintain (FWD)

Chrysler wants the market bad but they don't haave the product yet

11. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Yeah? Personally I'd rather have police spend their time on real issues, instead of get this new thrill out of chasing down dose der bandits.

At Childrens Hospital of Pennsylvania, people call in death threats, walk into the infant intensive care unit with pistols, and 3 months ago a nurse was shot and killed in the parking garage. Anytime there's a problem the police never show up. They say "You can file a report at the station", because they treat hospital crimes as "Domestic Disturbances".

A faster car won't save lives. Chases will just occur more frequently since "my car is so sweet", and more chases will end in death.

12. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Great, now I'm going to have to call DINNAN and turbocharge my BMW.

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    This really comes to no surprise. And props to Dodge for stepping up to the plate on this one before another foreign backed (non-domestic based) company offers up something better.

If you haven't been keeping up with this portion of the news, you'll notice how Ford has p1ssed a lot of people off. They are cutting off the availability for police cars from various counties unless they drop a particular lawsuit regarding their unsafe vehicles. Just read up here: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=police+cars+lawsuit+ford&btnG=Search+News

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

Randy, the suit is one that was politically motivated and has no merit (the tank, and other issues regarding have been dealt with.) much of the issue has to do with the (usually drunk speeder who runs into the car at high speed.... but they usually don't have that FORD money to go after...

15. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Ok, noone has said it yet? The charger looks HOT-T-T. Even for a 4 door, that thing looks good.

IMHO, I believe Dodge is the best all around car company the past 2 years. I'm not talking reliability, gas mileage, etc. I'm saying, they have something for everyone! The family, the kid (Neon/SRT-4), adult racer (Viper), now the mid 20's muscle (Charger), they have fam. sedans, etc. And all their cars look good.

16. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    #16 frefan, Apr 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From Reno, NV

Probably all show and no go. I don't understand how coutines can afford a paint upgrade? Hopefully its donated by supplier. I hate to think our taxes fund this. IMO, you still can't outrun the radio, no matter the paint job.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Where I live theres a couple LT-4 and LS-1 camaros. There's also a C5 painted all up in Dare colors. I think the Vette was a dealers(drugs that is.) car previously.

18. BAM

BAM Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    you would be suprised as to what a crown vic can do, belive me i do know. now i know its nothing to the lambo in italy or the skylines in japan, but they do hold their own for what they are. i am speaking from a place where i have attended police driving schools and i do have a background in cars prior to the whole police wild hair up my ass something different thing, but given the choice...give me a 550 in black and white and we can call it a day!

19. BAM

BAM Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    no...we need less kids who think they are

20. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel
    that's nothing Florida has had ford mustang 5.0's and after they retired that they got camaro Z28's.............can't mess with 'smokey' in Florida........oddly enough the cops are always smiling in highspeed chases