Honestly, why would you get an Enzo... | FerrariChat

Honestly, why would you get an Enzo...

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ferrari D-Zyner, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari D-Zyner

Mar 26, 2005
    Honestly, why would you get an Enzo when you can get an MC12? Although I admire the enzo's engineering and agressive design, It still can't compare to the beauty of the F50 before it, or even the lesser F430 of today, (kinda orinic considering that the F430 is based mostly on design cues stolen from the Enzo). In all Honesty, I would get an MC12. They're faster, more readily available, still built by Ferrari, and generally look better. Any parts that the MC12 doesn't share with the enzo, it improves on. The main difference is that the MC12 is more aerodynamic, lighter, and much sleeker by anyone's standards. It would be nice if they came in red though... http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/maserati_mc12.asp

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Only 25 MC12 built total. All spoken for.

3. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    25 in 2004 and 25 in 2005, Therefore in total 50 will be made.

4. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #4 F1racer, Mar 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. F430-Monza

F430-Monza Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2004

Ok...let me tell u why...coz we go for the best...and second best ain't our kind of stuff !

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    I would not have either to many electronic driving aids fitted to these cars they are made for people with too much money who cant drive a proper car drove a paddle shift gallardo on the track last week what a big dissapointment all the electronic driving aids kicking in even my grandma could drive a paddle shift FI ferrari or really a [AUTOMATIC]

7. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Only my opinion but the MC12 is a revolting looking car. If its after supercar status, i hope it fails miserably!

8. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Just checked on the official Maserati site. You're right. A second series of 25 cars will be built this year.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Send ur resume to Ferrari then , im sure you and your grandma could lap schumacher .

10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

How do you know its faster ? i dont see why it should as its heavier and doesnt have the Ceramic brakes.

And its not more readily available , certainly not in the US where its still not homologated.

As for looks , well thats your opinion.

11. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    You cant get an MC12 in the United States. I also think an Enzo looks better than the MC12.

12. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    The MC12 is NOT faster in any way than the Enzo. There is an article in this month's Car (british magazine) which reviews the Maserati MC12. The engineers state that the Enzo is the faster of the two. Ferrari wants the Enzo to the be flagship vehicle of both brands, thus the MC12 development was curbed to make it actually slower than the Enzo. Interesting though is that the majority of Enzo testing was done on the road whereas the MC12 was proven on the Fiorano track. No one is saying that the opportunity to improve was not there, but Ferrari demanded that the enzo be faster.

Like someone stated before, the MC12 will have very limited production, all are spoken for. Each model comes in the same color with the same options.

13. elms

elms Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    DCS
    I know someone who has actually sold his Enzo to make way for a MC12 as he swears that the Maserati is the better car to drive.

14. ultimo

ultimo Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2004
    A Ferrari is a Ferrari
    A Maserati is a Maserati :)
    A 1000HP Nissan GTR is a NISSAN

15. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    here's your solution: just get an F50 :)

16. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Or better yet an F40. I'd marry that car.

17. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Mc12 Faster?? Not in top speed or accleration.

MC12
    0-60mph: 3.8 sec
    Top Speed: 205 mph

Enzo
    0-60: 3.3 seconds
    Top Speed: 217 mph

18. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I thought the Mas. was only built for racing, not street legal. Am I wrong?

19. kito

kito Karting

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Isn't it a detuned Enzo engine?

20. CabooseF430

CabooseF430 Karting

Dec 18, 2004
    the MC12 looks like its stuck in the 80s id much rather have an Enzo

21. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.

From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong), Maserati had to build a certain number of homologated (read street-legal) cars in order to be able to go racing according to FIA regulations.

The MC12 unfortunately isn't street legal in Canada or the US but it is in Europe.

22. TRiv

TRiv Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    North royalton Ohio
    Full Name:
    John J. Wargo
    Exactly, IMO ( this should be the rule), any factory high performance/sports/super cars should be made by the manufacturer who puts their name/emblem on the car. Sure pieces and some sub assemblies need to be out sourced, the engine for sure, and the basic design should be of the said manufacturer. Reconfiguring a Ferrari (Enzo) to be a Maserati (MC12) is like something that GM does, ex: (2004-5 Pontiac GTO, Holden with Chevy Corvette engine) Pontiac has nothing to do with it other than name badge and bogus add on styling. It's not "right" in that market, and really not "right" in the elite/supercar end, JMO. would prefer the Enzo because it "is" a Ferrari, tuned as designed, looks/is cleaner, and not into the two tone paint scheme

23. Ferrari D-Zyner

Mar 26, 2005
    25 will be made per year as long as the car is on the track. And the MC12 is far faster than the enzo from the concpet to execution. The fact is that the Enzo was made to be an ultimate exotic super car. The MC12 was made to be an ultimate Prototype Racecar. The MC12 is simply Faster, More agile and better tuned for the tarmac. Every part on the car was built for the track first, without any compromises. It's not even fair to compare the two really as they are in different classes; the enzo being a supercar, the MC12 being a Racecar Replica. But if I was going to have a $500K+ exotic in my garage, it would most definitely be an MC12.

PS: Feel free to bring any arguments to the table regarding the performance comparison between the two cars.

24. Ferrari D-Zyner

Mar 26, 2005
    To adress several posts. This car was built for racing, as is the heritage of maserati. And I'm not sure what british mag talked to which engineers, but the idea that Ferrari would launch a race program and limit the performance of it's race cars to boost market value of another car is just preposterous. For one, Ferrari Built the MC12 to perform as fast as it possibly could within regulations set by the FIA. It's engine produces less power because it is required to have restrictor plates installed to conform with these FIA regulations. Without the restrictors, the engine rips the Enzo a new one, but once again this is a race car first. Secondly, the MC12 not only weighs substantially less than the Enzo, but it can handle at exponentially higher loads. Any car with more than a G lateral acceleration is considered a supercar (such as the hadling aspects of the Enzo), but race cars like the MC12 can handle over 1.5Gs and regularly do so on the track. Basically, any turn the Enzo can take at 60, the MC12 can take at 80 giving it an extreme performance edge. Next comes the issue of straight line acceleration. Enzo goes 0-60 in 3.2 (Really 3.3 in all reality, regardless of how well you shift), the MC12 in 3.8 (Although road testers have also said that this is inaccurate as the Massi will run to 60 in 3.6s without a hitch). Even trusting that the official number were right, did anyone care to check the 0-100 numbers, or the 60-120, 100-200? The fact is that the Maserati (once again being built for the track) would very rarely ever dip below 60 in the racing cicuit, due mostly to its superb handling chracteristics at high speed, so the car was geared for Acceleration at much higher speeds. The Enzo on the other hand will be taken on public roads where low speed acceleration is far more important. An MC12 will absolutely spank an Enzo and send it crying for its mommy in a 1/4 mile run, and even moreso in a 1/2 or full mile as is the length of the straights at many modern speedways. If you're still not convinced, you should compare the dyno numbers on an MC12 compared to those of an Enzo. Many owners would be horrified to learn that the MC12 has more RWHP than the Enzo, Due to a much lighter drivetrain and more efficient gearing. But here's the one that will really kill you. The engine in the Enzo, is actually a detuned MC engine.Take out the restrictor plates on an MC and it makes well over 700HP (well over). And for all intents and purposes,m the MC is built on it's own frame suspension, body, and drivetrian. Every part on it is designed for racing, and racing alone. Every part on the car is different from what is used in the enzo, including the engine which is made of harder alloy in order to withstand the rigors of endurance racing. People this is a pointless argument. Saying that an Enzo is faster than an MC12 is like saying an F50 is faster than an 333SP. It's not even applicable.

25. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I think you are mixing up the MC12 road car and its race version.

Also , homologation specials dont have to have restrictors , only the race cars. So the MC12 produces less hp than an Enzo because Ferrari decided so.
    The MC 12 has a dry weight of 1335kg vs 1244kg for the Enzo .

The engine is the same in both car , only slightly detuned in the Maserati.
    However , the Enzo would probably have the advantage on the track due to :

Ceramic Brakes
    Active Aero