antenna doesn't raise | FerrariChat

antenna doesn't raise

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rickjaffe, Mar 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe
    #1 rickjaffe, Mar 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm working through some of the issues on my new 308gt4; here's my antenna issue:

the antenna switch works and I can hear the motor going (which I assume is in the antenna housing on the passanger side trunk), but the antenna doesn't raise and lower. I notice there are some teeth missing on the round tooth thing (pardon my imprecision but below is a picture); I'm thinking that the lack of teeth is not allowing the motor to engage the antenna; if so, is there an cheap and easy way to fix this. I was even thinking of putting some match sticks to press the tooth thing against the outer housing. or do I just have to have the whole antenna unit replaced?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. marks308GTB

marks308GTB Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Los Altos Hills, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark S.
    I had a similar problem on my antenna. Took it apart and found that the tape that pulls the aerial up/down was broken. Not fixable.

Found a nice replacement at Best Buy for around $50. Works great.

Good luck,
    Mark

3. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe

I assume you also have an electric antenna. are you saying that you removed the antenna from its housing/motor and by putting in a new actual antenna, you got the the electric antenna to function via the switch inside the car?

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Rickjaffe,
    I think you're talking about what looks suspiciously like a slightly rusted star lock washer sticking out from under the base of the antenna on top of the fender mount.

Only reason I can think of for a star washer being there is if someone replaced a broken antenna with a universal replacement that screwed itself on top of the old antenna, & used the washer to keep it from unscrewing itself.

Harada, A japanese company makes most of the world's power antennas. You can buy one of their universal replacement ones & install it in place of your antenna. If you search Tech Q&A, the old fchat Tech Q&A, & the old fchat Tech Q&A Archives for power antenna, you'll find several threads. At least one of them has instructions for wiring a Harada antenna up to the 308's antenna switch.
    Let me know if you find the thread, but the wiring diagram is missing, I may have a copy somewhere, or can reconstruct it from memory.

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I bought a Harada for one of my cars a few years ago. I think I got it at Wal Mart and I'm sure it wasn't more than 35 bucks.

Couldn't tell it from the original.

6. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe
    thanks, read one of the old threads, looks like an s41 from antennaworld is an exact plug and play set up; where the hamara requires some rewiring. unless i'm missing something the s41 at 25 bucks is the better solution.

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #7 robertgarven, Mar 28, 2005
    I spent 10 years trying to get my antenna going and did with help from here.

I bought a semi auto antenna from these guys:

http://www.antennaworld.com/eshop/default.asp?WCI=ItemDetails&WCE=S-41

and even I bought a radio shack part and got it running!!! By rigging a relay at the antenna end you leave the original switch and eveything is cool. Happiest day of my life and at the concours they did not even check it so I showed them!!!

8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #8 robertgarven, Mar 28, 2005
  9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    ps you dont need the socket only the relay and some mini spade connectors and some time. If I can do it anyone can!!

10. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe
    famous last words. I've ordered per your suggestion, what exactly am I looking for in radio shack?

11. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My 308 antenna had a slight kink in the shaft. The antenna would go up partly, then require tugging to continue all the way up and conversly pushing to get it to retract

I called Hirshman & Haranna (sp?). Neither company currently makes a direct replacement nor shaft replacement for the 308. They suggested searching stores for old stock. They did give me a wiring circuit to modify one of their newer two-pole antenna motors using their switch. But I wanted to keep the original switch in the car.

I did visit my local Pep Boys & found a shaft replacement that easily (ie pop the old motor out, unscrew it, pull the old shaft & flex chord & put the new one in) replaced the old. It's about 2" shorter than my original (bad guess on my side) and can disappear below the fender if I let it. So, I'm on the lookout for a slightly longer antenna shaft for another try. But the radio works great with the current replacement shaft

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    On the diagram above there is a radio shack relay number, you dont need a socket I just wired it like the diagram. i even put the numbers on the relay there to help and got some mini spade connectors and using wire crimpers and radio wire just put it together like in my photo above then you just plug the two wires in your two wire coming to your trunk and I think you need to ground a wire to the bracket which is easy and trust me it works!!!

13. CVest308QV

CVest308QV Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Glastonbury, CT
    Full Name:
    Charlie Vest
    I own a 1984 308 QV which, somewhere along the line, had a fully automatic antenna installed. The two wires (red and white striped) running from the console "Aerial" switch to the right rear of the car were not connected, and the antenna was triggered by turning the car's stereo on and off.

In wanting to revert back to a semi-automatic antenna controlled by the antenna switch on the car's console, I purchased a Harada SX-11 antenna from antennamastsrus.com. I hooked up the new antenna to the two red/white striped wires, and -- uggh -- the console aerial switch did not work! So I hopped onto my computer, logged into F-Chat, and found this thread.

I popped down to Radio Shack, bought the relay, some 14 guage wire, and assorted spade connectors and then followed Robert's procedure exactly as outlined above -- and presto magico the new semi-automatic antenna works like a charm using the console aerial switch!

This was a super easy fix, even for someone like me who knows very little about electrical matters. Thank you Robert (and predecessors who shared their experience with you) for the very simple solution. The total cost of everything, including the antenna and shipping, along with the parts from Radio Shack, was about $35. I would never have figured out how to get the new antenna working on my own.

14. idoc

idoc Karting

Apr 30, 2005
    Westchester,New York
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't mean to hi jack the thread but on my 308 antenna the rubber gaskets on the outside of the car have cracked and worn thru. Does anyone know where I can replace just these parts?

THanks