Opinion on this 360 | FerrariChat

Opinion on this 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ellwer, Mar 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ellwer

Ellwer Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    Local MB dealer has a 1999 360 six speed, minimal options, silver/blk, 7200 miles. Asking $113. Price seems lower than most I've seen around. I must assume that it needs 30K service. If all checks out though, seems like a good deal.

2. Hunters360

Hunters360 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    Did you check if its a euro.. sounds like w/ minimal options and 6 speed it could be euro.

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Don't assume anything. This is where the market is today - those who wait will just sit on their cars. Work with the dealer, get the car PPI'd, and enjoy. If the 30K DOES need to get done, then take it out of the purchase price.

4. Ellwer

Ellwer Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks for input. I also think that it may be euro. The salesperson with the info was out when I called, but in certainly seems worth a look.

5. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    Seems like I read somewhere that if it the subject year would be out of warranty anyway, it really makes no difference whether it's a euro or US car.

Is that true?

6. 288_GTO

288_GTO Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I will have to humbly disagree. 360 Euro @ $113 with 7200 miles is a fair price regardless of 30K service need.

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I think about these things pretty much in a linear fashion - and a good way to compare and contrast is to develope a "bridge" between a recent trade and the car in question. So lets see: as a reference point, a good-condition 2000 Euro 360 recently traded hands between private parties with mileage in the low 20K's, and servicing that needed to be done. The buyer is an FChatter. Price? $101K.

For the car in question, add another $7K for dealer profit, and another $5K for lower mileage. Subtract $10K for the fact that the model in question is a year earlier. Where does that put in in my books? $103 - $105K. Lower than the $113K ask.

8. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    car wise, no difference. something break, u pay.
    but when u re-sell, u will swing less for a euro. so if u buy one, make sure u pay less to begin with.

9. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    and i disagree with you.
    a '99 euro will be very close to 100k in today's market.

10. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    if its US, clean car, buy it now.
    if euro, offer 100k.

11. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley

I'm certainly no expert here, but per quote above, if car is out of warranty, you're going to pay for it anyway.

Not being argumentative here, as my new 360 is US spec, just wondering how that works and why the euro should be worth less when you sell if it is a "no difference" car, and out of warranty?

tnx

12. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    Oh, and I guess I should have asked. Is a euro car after DOT and EPA, and whatever, a lesser car in some way.

I hope I'm not stealing this thread, but I think Ellwer wants to know some of the same things.

13. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    right. a euro after conversion. to most of people its less of a car, so the price should reflect that.

14. Hunters360

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    Major problem with euro's FNA does not have the Campaign info to tell you if campaigns/recalls have been done. The computer systems doesnt recognize the vehicles.. Finally these campaigns will not be paid for through FNA..If proven not to be done. so expenses could be higher going forward.

15. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    Whether a Euro is lesser of a car after warranty period is not the real issue. The perception of the majority of potential buyers is that a Euro is worth less. Perception equals reality and a Euro will sell for less than the same US car. Ferrari 101 IMHO

16. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

i am w/ vik (aka ghost).

i wish you were around when i sold my 99 US 360 red/black, 20k, fresh 30k serviced, brand new tubi, service campaign done at cauley ferrari for 103k.

17. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Just a few observations. FNA's computers will have a record of U.S. campaigns done on the car, even if a Euro (that assumes that the service was done in the US). FNA has, in the past, paid for safety related campaigns on Euro 360's, but not necessarily others. It also depends on how hard you lean on the dealer. Marty Weiner, who hangs out here, but especially in the Northwest Regional forum, owned a Euro '99 360 and would likely be happy to share all of his experiences (both good and bad). Of course, what FNA did for him 4 years or so ago may not be what FNA will do now.

One item that often gets forgotten is the issue with "bucket burns". The '99 Euro headllights (maybe US too?) had the main lens unshielded, and when the car was parked in the sun it would focus the sunlight much like a magnifying glass, burning spots in the headlight bucker (the painted portion of the 360 headlight assembly). Many people could ignore this (on Marty's car I don't believe it affected the headlight performance in any way)--but if it bothers you it is big bucks to fix (new headlight buckets were on the order of $3500 each--so double that).

18. Ellwer

Ellwer Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    I really appreciate all the input, and feel that I have a much better grasp on the present market value of this car. I am still waiting to speak to the dealer about many of the issues/questions which were brought up here. In any event, as many on the board have expressed, the search is almost as fun as the aquisition; I want to be sure that when I pull the trigger, it will be the right car.

19. weatherman1940

weatherman1940 Karting

Mar 18, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike Coffin
    As a newbie searching for a 2004 360, this post brings up something else for me to look into. All this talk of US vs Euro...how do I know which one I'm getting in a 2004 360? Those I've looked at so far have less than 1500 miles and the asking price is $210k - $230k. I also saw a couple 2005 360s listed. I thought 2004 was the last year?

Thanks...

Mike in NC

20. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    From the prices you are quoting, I assume you're looking for a Spider. There were a small number of '05 360 Spiders built, but no Modenas. The VIN number will indicate country of origin, there are experts on the board who could decipher any VIN out there, I'm sure.

Gary

21. weatherman1940

weatherman1940 Karting

Mar 18, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike Coffin
    Gary...yes, looking for a spider and saw several 2004 models quoted at those prices ($215-$240) with from 52 miles to <2,000 miles. The six speed (which I want) seems to be slightly less. The same thing in a Modena coupe seems to be about $185k.

Mike in NC

22. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Sounds about right for today's market. Hope you find something you like.

Gary

23. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Food for thought:
    1) Most finance companies will not provide a lease for a euro (Putnam, etc.). I don't know the justification, but strongly suggest that you call the finance companies if you are considering going this route.
    2) Some states have smog tests (i.e. CA) that can be difficult for a euro to pass.
    3) The fact that people are debating the pricing of a euro validates the fact that there is a pricing issue. Percepton is reality.
    4) I have heard of instances where some authorized dealers will not perform certain types of service on a euro.

The auto market is a fairly efficient pricing mechanism. As such, it will discount a euro by virtue of the above mentioned issues. Warranty expiration or not, a euro will generally command a lower price. Based on my recent buying experience, this discount is in the range of 10%-15%. Negotiate your buy price accordingly! Tim

24. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    If the car is properly federalized, why wouldn't they? :confused:

25. Hunters360

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    Not true as long as vehicle has been properly federalized the banks dont even know that they are euros... they have us titles and thats all they look at. Putnam doesnt probably because of there close ties with FNA and since FNA wont let dealers sell euros Putnam probably wont finance one. Rumor has it Putnam and Miller Motorcars in Conn. are owned by the same people.