Buying 328 GTS out of state when in Calif | FerrariChat

Buying 328 GTS out of state when in Calif

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tricycle, Mar 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Hello Gurus of the F way

I am looking to purchase my first Ferrari a 328 GTS.

My initial searches have seen several possible candidates but they have almost all been out of state.

My question is are there any pitfalls to buying out of state if I wish to register the car in California (particularly smog).

How hard is it to get one smogged assuming that there have been no major modifications to an out of state car?

Thanks!

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think the biggest problem would be worn out or missing cats.

3. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    My 328 passed with flying colors with the original equipment. I can't speak for any modifications or additional exhaust. But if you have the original exhaust, I guess you can swap it out for the smog test just to be safe.
    Someone can correct me on this, but I believe all 328 are CA certified with the original equipment.

Good luck in your search.

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    From my emissions report after getting the car tested here in Colorado (pretty strict emissions), my U.S. spec 87 328 with all original exhaust/cats/emissiosn equipment passed easily, burning very, very clean.

A properly running U.S. 328 burns clean and should not have problems with emissions. A Euro 328 will not burn as clean and may have problems with strict emissions, though I have seen no objective data to support that.

If the car you were looking at has had its cats removed (not common), forget about passing in CA.

--Mike

5. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Thanks for all the answers.

Can anyone else confirm that the 328 would normally pass with stock equipment in Calif?

6. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt

No the biggest problem is having to visit that Third World Country called the DMV. Make sure you buy it from a private party and then you can have it re-registered at AAA.

7. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Agreed. I'm getting ready to employ legal counsel against those lower primates.