Testarossa not starting | FerrariChat

Testarossa not starting

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Capone, Mar 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capone

Capone Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Midwest
    I have a new (new to me) 1990 TR with 35,000 miles. I drove it fine last week but have since tried to start it with no luck. It turns over but will not fire. My mechanic ordered a "fuel pump protection switch" since the car did act up a few times during normal driving. What it would do is only idle at 800 RPMS and then it had about half the "get up and go" as normal. I'm told if this switch goes bad it wont allow fuel to the engine.

When I try to start it it will fire but then sputters a few times and dies.

Is there any thing else I should be checking for? It appears all sparks and other electricals are fine.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks,

2. Myhorse

Myhorse Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    By no way am I a mechanic...

But a similar problem happened to my TR
    Same deal - sputtering etc, would not stay running idled well below 1000 then died. When it finally remained running heavy smell of gasoline ( and subsequent vision of flames engulfing my car) prompted me to shut it of and leave it off.

Problems:
    1 - R fuel accumulator was leaking.
    2 - fuel pumper sensor shorted out ( ?because of the leaking fuel accum - I don't know)

accumulator was changed, sensor was changed and BINGO Ferrari back on road and me happy again. ( both available at a fraction of what I paid from Rockauto.com )

So if I were you make sure it isn't something simple - fuse, relay,

then look for a leaking accumulator ,

If you can't find anything, then take it to the doctor - let him / her start undoing the bolts, cable, wires etc to figure it out. maybe something easy like a dirty fuel filter.

Let us know what they come up with
    myhorse

3. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    By any chance did you buy this 1990 TR from Motorcars International in Missouri? Just curious.

Brent

4. Capone

Capone Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Midwest
    Yup, I do. Why you ask?

5. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    I've sent you a PM

Brent

6. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Typically the left bank coil can fail, this also controls the fuel pump circuits. The car may try to fire while cranking, albeit on the right bank only.

Also, the wiring connectors on the left side engine comp. just ahead of the coolant resevoir, they corrode and make poor contact.

finally, the usual problems with the overheated contacts in the main fuse box.

Look at those, good luck, Brian
    www.autocarsports.com

7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Instead of relisting everything, do a search on " non-starting TR ", hard starting TR or Testarossa won't start.

I had a big-time starting problem a year or so back. You will find great information from, coils, to tacometric relays, and sensors.

Everyone was so helpful and there is great info. Mine is a 91TR

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Or you could apply some basic, sound, diagnostic procedures and test for compression, fire and fuel and go from there. Works well for us in the industry.

9. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    just my 2 cents worth...my 1986 TR would not start unless it was given shots of engine starter fluid...not a good thing to do, and once it was started and it ran for while, it would restart when hot but not when it cooled down. After many trips to the dealer, i found a Porsche mechanice who replaced a 40$ relay under the right (passenger side) rear fender...no problems since.