How'd you do it? | FerrariChat

How'd you do it?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bmw586, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bmw586

bmw586 Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    As everyone who is a memeber already knows...a ferrari is more than a car. It something that can turn a ****ty day into a great one at the sound of exhaust note. But to me, owning a ferrari is still a dream- which will be fufilled eventually. I know most people here, already have one or two , but i there any kind of words of wisdom, advice, or suggestions on how i too will be able to own one. I'm a 3rd year business econ major in college and all i do is envy you guys. We never talk about what we did to get to "ferrari status." Now im not asking you to tell me what your income is... but instead, shed some light on how long it took before you could buy one, how long you saved, how old were you, and if you could explain the feeling you had when you started your pretty pony up for the first time. Thanks alot and i hope to ride with you guys one day. -Brandon

2. warrent

warrent Karting

Nov 2, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Warren Tsang
    Well Brandon, I think the most important thing is that it's something you truly have a passion for, something that you truly have an ambition to achieve. As a result the choices you make in life will keep your goals in mind. It's hard to achieve grand things without first having grand dreams. Secondly, it's good to desire a car like a Ferrari, but at your age, it's more important to focus on taking the right steps in your education and career than worrying about how or when you will be able to own a Ferrari. First get your life and career in order, the rest will work itself out. And remember to be patient. I had dreamed of owning a 360 since the moment I saw one. It had to stay just a distant but heartfelt dream for what, 5 years until last year when I was finally able to achieve my dream at the age of 29. It was the most incredible feeling to finally achieve a huge life goal of mine. Any day, I can just think about that and I get a childish smile on my face and this excited giddy feeling in my chest. Nothing but a Ferrari can do that for me.

[​IMG]

3. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    I knew I would own a 328 GTS from the day I say a huge poster of it in 1988. I was 17 years old at the time. It took me 14 years to realize my dream. Of course everyone said I would "grow out of it", but I never lost site of my passion for that car. I bought the poster and kept it above my desk as I studied in High School, College, and even in my home office in my apartment after I got my first "real" job in Charlotte, NC. I can definitely say that the drive to buy a 328 helped me study harder and work harder. I ended up with a good degree in Computer Science, a good job, and eventually a good down payment on a 1986 328 GTS. I've had it for 3 years, and I still love driving it as much as the day I drove it home for the first time.

Good luck to you in your passion. It can definitely take you far.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree. I'm a 23 year old student of business, graduating in August. I've longed for a Ferrari since I was 3 years old.

As with you BMW586, Ferrari is more than a car to me. It's a work of art, a technical marvel, a mechanical masterpiece, quite simply a thing of beauty. But it's something that is my dream. I look at the dream as being very attainable with simply being smart with my money and hard work. My goal is to own my first Ferrari by age 45 or 50. Provided my parents are still around by the time I can first afford one, I will be spending it on my dad. I'd like to build him a '56 Chevy Bel-Air as a thanks to all he's provided me with, before I fulfill my dream.

I say be sure you're able to provide for your family, very comfortably before buying as well.

Always make sure you are thankful for everything you achieve. That, to me is the MOST important frame of mind to keep.

5. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    My father always told me the same thing, its funny because Im only 28, married have 4 cars and just bought a house in NJ. I think I made it...I know I'll have a F-car

-Leo

6. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    What you're hearing here is that it's not so much "Ferrari status" as passion.

I've wanted one since I was very little (thanks to my dad who instilled in me that they were the best).

When it came time to realize, my mother put me over the top: "just do it, if you don't you'll regret it and what's the worst that can happen...you sell it!"

It's been two years since my first F-car, and I'm still just as excited to go to the garage. I was 29 for the first one, a beautiful 348. I bought used and high miles, which was the best I could afford at the time. No regrets, it was a great car.

Live life with remorse not regret. Even If I have to sell my car tommorrow (thankfully I don't) I'm so glad to have experienced it firsthand. Ferrari ownership is truly something special.

7. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What I did to obtain a Ferrari:

Engineering Degree
    Work
    MBA
    Work
    Divorce
    Sold first business
    Work
    Remarried
    Work
    Sold second business
    Work
    Bought FCar
    Back to Work

Hope you can find a short cut :) I am 43. Just bought a my first Ferrari.

8. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    1) I LOVE the outline!! I'm a young guy, I have the Engineering Degree taken care of, and am currently Working (step 2 in your plan).

2) Quick question - was that first "Work" before MBA for a business you started, or were you an employee?

3) Any advice for MBA prep? I'm about 3-5 years away yet.

Thanks!

-Mark

9. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    My passion for Ferrari started when I was 4. My parents were both teachers and since small my sister and I were plied with reading materials that interests us. I love to draw cars and by 18yrs of age was in the UK to do a degree in Architecture. The passion was further flamed in Blighty, there's a lot of Ferraris that you can see on the streets in the UK compared to Malaysia. Spent my allowances on car magazines of which there are many from the UK, a habit that still persists till today.

Back in Malaysia in 1989 and reality hits the ground. Car prices are astronomically high in my country and upon starting work I have to contend with buying used Alfa Romeos ( I love Italian exhaust notes!!) as primary transport. It was not till 1995 when I can actually afford a Ferrari ( used 328 ) but didn't proceed because as crazy as I am about cars I have to fullfill another promise..to marry my sweetheart that I met in the UK. Thank heavens I did not buy then because of the South East Asian market crash.

Family commitment comes first. The house, and the arrival of the two kids put paid to any plans for 'unnecessary' luxuries. Managed to psyche the wife to allow for purchase of the Ducati 996 to satisfy the Italian urge. I still drive an Alfa Romeo as a DD, a 166 3.0V6 that I think is not available in the States.

All in all, I waited 10 years before actually getting my first Ferrari. A 1997 355 Berlinetta, Rosso Corsa with black interior. It is worth the wait and the feeling that I got when the keys were handed to me officially was akin to having a woman that you love being officially pronounced to be your wife!

My advice is to get your priorities right, work smart and you definitely will be able to afford a Ferrari. Owning one is not the be all or end all of things though. Just take it easy, work your way through...

10. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Here's my 2-cents:

A Ferrari is a toy...as much as this may seem blasphemy-like....nobody "needs" a Ferrari, these things are the icing on the proverbial cake of life.

My advice is to OWN a home before you dump a huge amount of money into a means of fun transportation. Real Estate is very expensive and you need a place to live. Renting sucks: you pay & pay & pay and NEVER own it...in the long run you get burned. Therefore it is essential to get the more important things in life in order before moving on to frivilous toys.

I'm very conservative, I waited until we built our "Dreamhome" and no longer planned on moving before blowing some 6 figures on a car.

Most the guys on this forum are not gazzillionaires. When I went to my first Ferrari gathering I figured I'd be amoungst Trump-like multi-millionaires. As it turns out, most the guys were just like me: hard-working guys who cleverly found a way to make a bit more then the average joe...we saved our money, waited for the right deal and bought our toys.

ANYWAYS...keep your priorities straight, I think you'll know when you have the right amount of disposable income to cut-loose the coin to move into an F-car. Enjoy having something to look forward to...often happiness comes in the form of PURSUING happiness.

Beyond that, I'd be looking for a clean 348 :)

11. bmw586

bmw586 Rookie

Aug 5, 2004
    First off... i'd like to thanks everyone for there imput. ITs not to often i get to talk to ferrari owners because usually when i see one, its parked or being driven. I know i need to get basic things first, after all, a ferrari is a "luxury." I guess the reason i asked this question is because im in that "limbo" sorta stage where you dont know what carear to persue, but you can invision you self in the future. Kinda like seeing your self at the finish line but skipping the race? Anyways, thanks alot again and ill keep you guys posted. The goal is by 30. Hey it never hurts to strive right? lol...

12. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    1. Being able to afford it in the first place
    2. Being able to drive it like you stole it
    3. Being able to afford to maintain it

Most can only do two of the above on 'modest' incomes. If you are a higher earner, you can do all three.

13. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hope this helps:

14. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Just a quick question... how old were you when you got the Z8?

15. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    this was a great thread, Brandon, I've learned a lot, thanks everybody who gave their advice!

16. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    brandon,

It's great to pursue what you truly enjoy, as other said, and make good money out of it. However in realty, it does not happen to most of people. I mean, maybe you dream job is to be a reporter but I doubt you will be a reporter in a Ferrari, see what I mean?

So, my opinion, learn as much as you could in school, you can never have enough knowledge or degree's. Then set you heart on your goal and go for it.

Speaking of money alone. You should either have your own business, or pursue one of the fields such as medicine, law, financial and etc. That's likely to make you financially secure and fulfill the Fcar dream.

17. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Absolutely...

You must either own your own business and work for yourself...

OR

You must specialize and have talent at something that commands a high wage.

Winning the lottery, inheritence or marrying into it are pot-luck items....better to be capable of earning it yourself. Good luck and don't do drugs!

18. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    42, my goal is to buy one supercar every year. Gives me something to look forward to. Of course, I will be broke when I am 70 ;)

19. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Honestly,

i've never really been into the ferrari stuff since kid (imagine that, i wanted to become a passive safety engineer for MB instead as a kid).
    Anyhow, when the time came where i could afford a MB SL, i went for a Porsche cab instead, and then it was just a matter of time. It is true to say the 550 is by very far the best car i drove.
    Now to answer your question, i would say :
    1. Quite an amount of younger F-car owners simply ask their dad for the keys, once he gets bored handing them over, he gets them their own
    2. If you don't fit in a. It's a matter of passion, or of a milestone. I could hardly see it as an end, it's like when you buy your first Patek Phillippe, or fly first class for the first time (many firsts in there), get invited for centurion membership etc, it's a milestone, and a greater reward for your work than the miles you earn spending $$$ on an AMEX card.
    Still, and unless to want to sacrifice other parts of your lifetime (leisure, holidays etc, remember it's "only" a car), it's a matter of luck ! I just turned 31 and never imagined that my life could be so lucky....not only because of the car.

20. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    have no clue what the guy just said above me, but pLaY oN PLaYeR!

21. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody

So what, you'll have a great car collection! hehee