QP problems? | FerrariChat

QP problems?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by watt, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Calling all QP owners!

have you had any problems with your cars and how many days out of service???

2. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    We've had the car since November. The only time out of service was for oil change and repair of passenger side visor. That was a couple weeks, but only because we live 3 hours away from the dealer, and couldn't get back any sooner. Otherwise, it's been absolutely flawless and a joy to drive. Have 3600 miles on it so far.

3. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    i know of one clutch replacement on warrantee but the owner loves the car at 12,000 miles; and one car with 35 days out of service for electrical

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fwiw, my S55 was down for a few weeks off and on to get the computer systems replaced. even the germans aren't immune from this crap.

doody.

5. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Electronic problems....talk to the owners of the new BMW 7 series....

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

It's the Germans who are building all that crap. When the Italians were building the electronics for Ferrari we didn't have these problems.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Can you say Lemon Law Buy Back? BMW can.

8. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    doody i expect crap cars from mercedes but not from Maser

9. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I got a crap car from Mercedes.

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    on the bmw:

Electronic problems....talk to the owners of the new BMW 7 series....

i have a 03 760 and have had no problems with electronics

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    as for the qp,

my wife drives it everyday and has now for over a month. we really haven't had any problems. the plastic piece that covers the tach was a little loose and rattled. i adjusted it with my hand and took it to the dealership. of course it wouldn't rattle again and hasn't since we have picked it up.

overall, i have been very surprised with our experience. i expected more problems on a new car that was a new model. as for time in the shop, other than self-induced (ie-window tinting), i would say one day to look at the "non-rattling" plastic cover that i fixed by "accident".

at the time of service, the center headrest was also replaced as i opted for the accented piping for the leather. the rear center headrest didn't have it although the rear seat headrests did. this was noted early and a new headrest was fitted when it was in the shop.

all-in-all, the car is far more than i expected. my wife loves the bmw 760 and we were originally going to swap off. other than picking the qp off at the shop, that is the only time i have gotten to drive it without her. she now prefers it to the bmw.

12. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    my wife is done with hers after the hassles. getting a cayennt turbo

13. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    what was wrong with the QP?

14. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    I think watt is trolling as doesn't provide any detail to his posts...

15. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    i wouldn't say troll. he said the car was out of commission for 35 days. there must be a reason. and details would be appreicated.

but, cross shopping towards a cayenne turbo from a QP is very very curious.

16. kbrookings

kbrookings Karting

Apr 26, 2005

I've got 12K miles on mine. The CD/Nav unit failed and was replaced under warranty. It is interesting to note that the list price of the replacement part was $11,700 dollars (US)!

Otherwise it hasn't had any problems. Great Car.

Ken

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Another car I would be a bit nervous about owning out of warranty.

Gary

18. kbrookings

kbrookings Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    Coudn't agree more. I plan to put a quick 40K on it, sell it, take my hit on resale and buy the QP V12 if its available then. Just a glutton for punishment, I guess.

19. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    u mean to tell me that there r problems with a qp

20. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    ENGINE FAILURE GO TO DEALER

our dealer and maser handled repairs well, and i believe it was truly fixed, but my wife lost confidence in the car so we had maser buy it back at 4600 miles.

Maser handled it gracefully and to repeat, i think the car is fixed with an entire new wiring harness [$15k plus] and new ecu's and better ecu seals

and to us it's perfectly normal to replace it with a Cayenne Turbo. we live in the mountains and wanted a fast 4 door, and 4wd is handy with all the mud and rocks and landslides in malibu

and i think my history on fchat is sufficient, please take a look

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    my qp is at the dealer waiting for me to pick it up, but i have been out of town. we had the rattling tach cover fixed and a couple of other things including the service required light. our car has 1700 miles on the odometer and this is the first time we have left it for "awhile". we have been out of town for a week and it was well done before we even got back. given, i have owned several ferrari's, i am not worried about my wife driving such a car. sure, i don't want to get a call about her being stranded or feeling unsafe, but i tell you, i feel better about her driving this car than the 2003 range rover she had before. she had it for just over 1 1/2 years. in that time, it spent more than 4 months at the dealer.

first, the front diff locked up, blowing the front drive shaft out of the car when she was driving at over 70 mph. the shaft took out the brakes, electrical and part of the exhaust system (over 2 months at the dealer). how in the hell she had the thought of using the emergency break to stop the car is beyond me (my wife isn't into how cars work)- she is lucky she didn't crash or hit any one.

second, the steering column collapsed into the dash. not only could she not steer the vehicle, but the column was like a u-joint. you could move it any direction - up/down, forward/backward, side/side. i couldn't even drive the thing to the dealer. it had to be towed.

third and last, the brake pedal decided to drop to the floor while sitting on a decline going into an acess road on a major freeway. an 18-wheeler had to swerve to miss her as she rolled into oncoming traffic (not an easy feat). the three passengers in the car with her (her employees) about died trying to figure out what was going on. all they could see was her pumping the brakes. (over 3 weeks in the shop, at which point we were told there was "NOTHING WRONG")

at that point, i was done. sure i will put up with the inconveince of a rattling tach cover or a dummy light. but would i put my wife in another range rover? would you?

at least with maserati, they understand the value of a repeat customer (even thouth i hadn't bought a maserati before - i bought a new ferrari). i feel as though my issues will be addressed. i also do not feel as though my "non-car-mechanic" wife can enjoy her driving and feel safe. ferrari/maserati of houston has done a great deal to restore her faith in non-common cars (read - cars i like to drive too).