Need advise on possible first f-car purchase | FerrariChat

Need advise on possible first f-car purchase

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dacostad, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dacostad

dacostad Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Hi all.

I may have an opportunity to get a 308 cheap from my wife's relatives (the owner unfortunately died).

However I need some advise first and was hoping that you guys would be able to help.

Firstly, what questions should I ask? All I know about the car at present is that it is a 1977 308 and is in Canada and has always been stored in a garage each winter (which are long in North Canada) and only driven in the summer.

Apart from the obvious (model, mileage, last major service, condition) what else should I ask?

Secondly, what issues will I have importing the car from Canada? I currently live in New York. I beleive for cars over 25 years old there are no import restrictions.

Will I have issues with the 308 with regards to emmission compliance especially as my wife and I intend to move to California in the next year or so.

Are there any other factors I should consider.

Obvoulsly I will only buy the car if they are prepared to let me have it at a "bargain" price that would make it a no-brainer to buy otherwise I would probably wait until we move to California and buy one more local.

Also if I do get this car, would it be reasonable to drive it back from Canada to New York (once the weather gets warmer).

Finally, I actually live in Manhattan and have not owned a car for 10 years as there is no need for daily transport. I am thinking that I will just keep it in the garage accross from my apartment ($400 p.m.), but does anyone know of a better place to store a f-car that is either in Manhattan or easy access from the city?

Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

David

2. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    I had a friend who had a pair of Ferraris in Manhattan for a while. He left them at the dealership. They had some sort of long-term storage solution for customers of theirs. Not sure if they still do it or if they offer it if you didn't buy the car there, but it's worth a call.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The car only has to comply with that model year's emission numbers. If it's in tune for 1977 you should be fine. Look on the back deck. If vents don't "connect" to each other across the hood your car has no cat.
    I would not even consider driving it home. Too risky and too much car to leave roadside. Borrow a truck and rent a trailer.

4. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Plan on doing the following if you want a trouble free car (as trouble free as these cars can be....):

1. timing belts and timing cover bearings (and gears if it has the plastic ones like mine did); while in there do a pro-active alternator/regulator rebuild.

2. fuse boxes if not already done

3. clutch assembly and cable

4. fuel filler neck hose and the long through the body heater hose

These are the most common - and time consuming - items needing attention;

Most important of all: DRIVE the car often - nothing kills 'em like sitting for months at a time!

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    California emission will be a problem. It depends on how much is missing, and what you have to replace. Hard to say. It is safe bet that you will not pass the first time.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As Yelcab pointed out Ca emission may be an issue. Our prior system of testing actually set limits lower than those cars were required to pass when they were new (contrary to prior comments). The new testing system uses a dyno and since I have quit working on cars that early I have not been involved in making one pass but I suspect they did not make it easier.

7. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    It is folly to import a car to California built after 1975 and before 1995, as it will probably have emission problems. Heck, I wouldn't even begin to try to bring a car in from Canada. Wait and buy a nice rust-free California car once you get here. We have plenty of stock.

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    If you can get it for a real "bargain" like you think you can why not buy it? As long as it doesn't need "everything" it could still be a great buy. Drive it for the year or so then move to California and if it doesn't pass, sell it and buy one that will.

That's what I'd do :)

9. shifty308

shifty308 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    coulterville ca
    Full Name:
    steven schiffler
    if it is a 1977 it did not require cats so there should be no problem with cal. certification as long as it is tuned properly, even if it doesn't pass the first time you can go to arbitration and get it exempted or get the state to bear the brunt of the cost to bring it into compliance from what i understand(have a friend with a smog shop). the real issues are seals etc. if it has experienced long idle periods. that said, if you pass on this one and in two or three years the price has gone up 20 or 30 percent or more will you kick yourself? of course they might not go up, but i wouldn't count on it.