Catching Up with F-1 | FerrariChat

Catching Up with F-1

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by LMP234, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Hey all,

I've just recently begun to watch F-1, but dont know when to catch them on TV, or where. I usually am flipping and happen to find it on by luck, or my friend tells me since he knows I'm interested.

I also have missed out on a lot of the "history" if you will, past "seasons" (if thats what you call it) and whatnot. Is there anywhere I could purchase a DVD/DVDs of say, the past 5 seasons or so? Any that you would recommend in particular?

2. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    SPEED carries the practice sessions, qualifying and the races in the US. TSN does so also in Canada. You can get the schedules on the website at www.speedtv.com

As for the DVD's, these should be easy to get almost anywhere, but Duke Video comes to mind in the US. If you grab an issue of Forza magazine, you will probably find several ads that sell F1 merchandise.
    I recommend you get them all, and stick to the official FIA dvd's, as they are well produced. You can also now get almost any season on DVD if I am not mistaken. It really depends on how far back you want to go.

welcome to the dark side !!!

3. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Great! I'm not sure how far back I should start...any suggestions?

4. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Well, what I have done is try to get the history of F1 since I have been alive, so I start with '65. You will have a hard time finding anything before 1970 however, 1980 for that matter. It really depends on what you like. If you are primarily a Schumacher follower, than I would say start at 1991, when he made his debut at Spa...then again Senna started in 1988, and you wouldn't want to miss out on seeing footage of him....then again Villeneuve started F1 in the late 70's, and no F1 fan can say that he isn't a hero.....
    Best advice,is pick a starting point and go from there.....It really depends on what got you interested in F1. For me it was Gilles Villeneuve. I am promarily a book and photograph collector, so I try to concentrate my collection from 1970 and onwards, but do have some late 60's stuff.

Good hunting !!!

hps

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You can watch F1 Decade of Speed too to get some of the history of F1.

6. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Good Point...Speed is replaying the 1995 season currently, usually the same weekend as the current GP races. (Check the SPEED program sched. to seen when it's on..) Next year they wil do the 96 season, and onwards. Good way to get up to speed on the last 10 years of F1.

hps

7. Scuderia NoVA

Scuderia NoVA Formula Junior
    Owner

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    If you look under "VHS" videos in Amazon, there's a 5 vol. set called "Formula 1 Saga" It's an older title (hence no DVD avail.) but will get you caught right up to just before the 1994 season, at least.

And Formula 1 Decade on Speed Channel takes you through the '95 season.

Get the 1994 FIA Formula 1 Season in Review to find out what happened that helped shape F1 into what it is today.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Best option...buy a TIVO and set it to record anything with Formula One in the title or description and you will get hours of programing per week.

9. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    1984 actually. His F1 career lasted almost 10 years.