A day to kill in the LA area... | FerrariChat

A day to kill in the LA area...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by teegeefla, Mar 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    Due to a change in plans, I have most of tomorrow to kill in the LA area;what and where do you suggest to satisfy my car fix? I know this is like asking someone in Rome where to get a good Italian meal...

I would like to look at exotic cars and not have the staff make me feel like a sub-human (like Ferrari of Beverly Hills did a few years ago) because I am not Rolex-ed and GQ-ed.

I also would like to find a good hobby shop and/or model car vendor to try to find some additions for my collection.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was relieved to read your post, at first I took your title to mean you literally wanted to take the day to go killing.............to much weird news lately I guess.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Exoticar on Canon Dr. Beverly Hills Racing on Robertson Bl. for models. Beverly Hills Classic cars, also on Robertson, has a nice showroom. Have lunch across the street at Al Gelato.

DL

4. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    It will blow you away before you even walk in the door. It's free. Free parking with shuttle bus service at a satelite lot across the road from a huge veterans cemetery. Just north of Santa Monica Blvd &, what is it 405? When you are thru, get in your car and drive to the Santa Monica Pier and have a drink while watching the sunset. Providing you are of drinking age. Seriously, the Getty is pretty incredible.

KevFla

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    ferget the getty, go to the petersen auto museum, and in the BH area, stop at Heritage Classic cars, they usually have some interesting rides, and a good bookstore with a wide selection of more obscure books on various cars, reprints of old R &T and C & D, etc. :)

6. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    Concur - Petersen Museum, then cruise BH

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I enjoyed visiting the Road & Track offices down in Newport Beach. Not much to see there, at least (aside from what you might see on the road), but a good place for a conversation.

(Of course, it helps if you've been a full-time subscriber since 1968 like I have!)

8. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I agree that Heritage Classic could satisfy both your needs. Nice showroom with a great book and magazine area. Here is their current inventory: http://www.heritageclassics.com/stocklist.html I've 959 is something you don't see everyday. Plenty of places to eat around there but, just to warn you it is in boys town, West Hollywood. If by happen chance you might see men being affectionate with other men. I hate to post that because I think most are here are very open minded, but you never know and I hate to assume one way or another.

I'm not that crazy about the Peterson but, the LACMA is right across the street and you could get a car fix and museum fix at the same time. Here's what the LACMA has going on: http://www.lacma.org/

They also have two (I believe) Free films that night:
    7:30 pm Film: Paranoia Films of the '70s [bt]
    Klute (1971/color/114 min./Panavision) dir: Alan J. Pakula; w/ Jane Fonda, Donald Sutherland, Roy Scheider
    Cruising (1980/color/106 min.) dir: William Friedkin; w/ Al Pacino, Paul Sorvino, Karen Allen

9. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    For car stuff the Petersen Musuem on Wilshire is a must. Beverly Hills Classic Cars on Robertson, one block S. of Wilshire in Beverly hills is fun. Andy always has a dozen great cars in his showroom. Heritage Classics in West Hollywood on Santa Monica Blvd and the right-next-door Motorbooks is a fun place. Just cruising on Sunset from Beverly Hills toward West Hollywood is a trip. Rodeo Drive in B. Hills always has a bunch of exotics trawling for firm young flesh, and these guys also park their cars on the street for a free look.

10. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    Thanks to all...
    I managed to do most of the suggestions (Heritage, Beverly Hills Classic and Racing, Gelato, etc) but ran out of time before I got to the Museum Mile. Plenty for next time.

11. jmiles360

jmiles360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    J. Miles
    The Nethercutt museum north of LA is definitely worth a look if you like 1930s autos.