Golf clubs: drivers??? | FerrariChat

Golf clubs: drivers???

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by vincent355, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I'm getting my game back into shape (to whip Darth's butt).

My old taylor burners are a bit oudated. I've tried a few new ones adams, Taylor r5 and ping g2.

not so pleased so far, any reccomendations?

2. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    I play a Callaway Steelhead Plus III, I like it, but am switching to a TM 560 or 580 for this season, I would reccomend either club. If you have the money Ive heard good things about the TM R7. Try hitting all the clubs you can at a demo day to see what feels best.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It's all about the persimmon!

DL

4. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

thanks, I'll pick one up tommorrow.

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I like the 580. Huge club so it's pretty forgiving for a hacker like me!

6. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

OK, I'll get the Lear and me and the duchess will head over to the closet in France and bring them back in time for the match.

You scared?

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

Sounds like Callaway is getting some votes. Haven't hit it yet, I'll definitely try it.

what about the titleist? you guys ever hit those?

8. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Shakin like a broker at a hair transplant convention.

DL

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Actually the 580 is Taylor Made, at least the one I was talking about is. One of my golfing buddies swears by his Callaway though.

I would say the same thing, find a pro shop or driving range that'll let you take them all out and demo them. Pick the one that feels the best to you. I tried a lot and decided the Taylor made had the best feel for me. Then I went and bought it online for a LOT less ;)

You should be able to pick up a new 560 or 580 for cheap as the model is a few years old now.

10. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    Ive tried the 975j and wasnt particularily fond of it, but thats just me

11. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Adams...All the way. Try it and you will be VERY impressed!

12. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I have one by Knight I got for $9.99 at Oshmans. I tried a friends Taylor Made. With both the ball ended up in the woods so.......

13. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My golf equipment is roughly equivalent to using garden hoes & hockey sticks but I can probably drive it further and straighter than most of you jokers. :)

No real point to this post, btw.

-Chris

14. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

i'll take you on with a hockey stick. "I'll carve your eye out with a flick of the wrist"

jackass....:)

I'm just trying to find out what's out there.

15. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I was using TM 560 for while, but switched to Cleveland Launcher w/ Nagakura Stiff Shaft. (Matching shaft to your swing is very important. It's like what tires do for a car)

I tried TM r7, Nike Ignite, Callaway 460? (the latest big head driver), & Fusion.
    So far, Cleveland is the best for me. I'm looking forward for Nike driver which uses carbon for the head. I hear it looks pretty cool. (I almost bought Fusion for just looks!)

Try Launcher at the store, and see if you like it.

16. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It depends on how good you are. The Titleist line is typically suited for the better player and wont be as forgiving or easy to hit.

The "best" drivers or most popular appear to be the R7 (Taylor Made) or Cleveland Composite. I would also give Callaway a look. The shaft is very important - maybe more important than the actual club. Get it matched to your swing.

Good luck

17. lwpat

lwpat Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Try out several then buy online. Here is a link to one of the best places I have found. Bought the Ping Si3 and have been doing much better. Of course the lessons I got as a Christmas present are helping more than the new driver.

Ping Si3 340cc Driver

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    What ever you choose make sure you get enough loft and the right shaft flex for your swing speed. More loft will increase acuracy and the right flex will give you a better launch angle and thus better distance.

Don't let your ego get in the way when buying a driver. A 7 degree with a double x shaft sounds cool to all your buddies but looks pretty lame when it sails over into the right woods.... you may need that but just make sure it's right for you.

The Golf Channel recently had an Academy Live with Brett Hull. It was mostly about him going through Ping's club fitting system. I used to play a lot of golf with Brett (he used to come back to Duluth in the summer) and trust me, he is very strong. They started him out with a 7 degree and X shaft. And even at his 111 mph head speed, he could hit it... but just barely. They worked their way down to to almost 10 degrees and a stiff shaft that had been slightly tipped.

I play a 10.5 with a slightly tipped stiff shaft as well. My swing speed is a lot closer to 100-5 mph though.... best of luck

19. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny

That is good advice... Also the size of the head makes a big difference... A smaller head tends to give you more ability to work the ball, whereas a bigger head (400cc and up) helps you hit the sweetspot better...

Shaft stiffness also depends on the brand of the shaft... The fujikura speeder 757 shaft (the one most of the pros play with) is so highly tuned, with low tolerance and low torque that a regular flex shaft is plenty for me, but most off the rack shafts I played with from Titleist, Nike, Taylor Made etc. would have to be a stiff flex, or X to get the same effect...

20. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    thanks guys, I learned about some clubs.

My swing speed is at about 106 to 110. the clucs I've demoed have had stiff shafts and launch angles of 10 or greater.

I have a 8 deg. burner from the dark ages, but never hit it because the loft is too low for my swing. I've been teeing off with my three wood.

21. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Ya, but what condition is your putter in?

22. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Ahhhh.....NOW we're getting somewhere.

DL

23. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Sometimes a guy just hasta have the balls to make such a post!

24. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

It's old, just got a new grip today, and possibly the only club that hits the ball to where I point it. Still working on distance.

Tried the TM R7 ht today. By far the most comfortable club I've swung yet. Looks a little less like a barge on a stick and has a pretty good heft to it. As opposed to some of the other ones which I thought were a little light.

I'm going to try a few more....

25. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Scott,

You are the 1st one to offer the NEEDED suggestion of getting the right head/shaft combo for his swing speed and launch angle.

I have been tested several times and I have an avg. s/s of 107-109mph and a peak s/s of 115mph. My avg. drive is 280-290yds. I am a high ball hitter and I needed a high launch/low spin head. For the last 1.5 years I played a Titleist 9.5* 983E with Apache MFS65P shaft in S2 flex. This driver gave me a very piercing ball flight and I got great roll from this setup. I have been very happy with this setup and I have gotten some drives that people dream about. Last years best was 343yds on a flat fairway.

I have been reading lots of golf magazines since it has been so snowy here in MA and the common recommendation was to get a driver with more carry then roll so I bought a Taylor Made 510TP 9.5* with S flex Speeder 757. I have demo'd this driver several times and I do get a higher ball flight then my current setup. I had the shaft frequencied and it came in at 259cpm (260 is true stiff). I am heading down to GA this weekend for some golf and to go to Augusta for Monday's practice round :)

There are some great drivers out there and it is great to get others feedback but YOU have to demo them extensively to see what works for you. Here are some golf messageboards that I frequent and have been great resources for my "addiction" :). www.4gea.com, www.bombsquadgolf.com, www.golfopinions.com, www.tourspecgolf.com, and www.freegolfinfo.com

Good Luck

Mike