Thanks Dick Merritt | FerrariChat

Thanks Dick Merritt

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ScuderiaRossa, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Never thought I would need Dick (of the DOT and FORZA for those not familiar with his name) to check a VIN # for me, let alone for a Ferrari. Almost bought a '73 BMW 3.0CSi today until I ran the VIN past him. Turns out the car was not properly imported in '85, a year for which it would have had to be. It was imported by a US serviceman, which is the case many times. Apparently military personnel took "shortcuts."

Many people are under the misconception that "old" cars are exempt, but this is only true if the car was brought in recently.

Just didn't want to risk insurance problems, especially in the case of theft or a wreck.

According to Dick, there are plenty of properly registered CSis in the US, so the search continues.

Just wanted to let people know that Dick is a great resource for anyone looking at a Euro-spec car, no matter what the make is.

2. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah

Indeed

He has helped us in our purchases.

Nice guy too!! Very knowledgable and passionate about F-cars

3. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Man, you really had me laughing there for a minute! :D

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    He is a great guy; I spent almost an hour on the phone with him regarding a problem I had with FNA. He was very interested in the problem and led me into the right direction even though it was out of DOT's jurisdiction. Thank you Dick.

5. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Had a '74 3.0CS coupe I bought new from Transatlantic BMW and loved it.
    Does the "i" just mean fuel injected?

6. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
  7. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Richard, didn't even realize I phrased it that way! I'll pay attention next time...

Yes, CSis were fuel injected (good for another 20 hp) and not sold in the States.