documentation for 0751 held hostage | FerrariChat

documentation for 0751 held hostage

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by lukek, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I do not have a problem with Shaughnessy parting out cars. I do not have a problem with ex owners selling spare parts from their cars on ebay. But something about this bugs me the funny way. It is a record book for a PARTICULAR car. I am sure that there is something I do not know about the car and how the records got separated, but it belongs with the current owner, and not for a (public) ransom. If it were my serial (I wish), I would galdly pay a finder's fee upon being contacted, and I understand that nobody in the world in entitled to getting free stuff....Not to mention that I emrace capitalism because of my background.....but....
    Perhaps this is how this person (broker in FLA, I am sure a nice guy..) chose to find the original owner. After all, the auction is at $3.50, so I am probably making too much of this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7964719307&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1

Anyone know who owns the car?
    Ethics aside, perhaps this note will help the real owner get reunited with the car. We have quite a few resourceful individuals over here.

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Perhaps this car was parted out or deconstructed years ago...if nothing else, if the car does still exist, the owner may see the auction and get the records. I don't have a problem with the auction.

Ken

3. frogwo

frogwo Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Do not know if you observed the sellers name Kirk F. White if one and the same was a exotic car dealer in the Philadelphia, Pa. area back when and
    had some realationship with Penske when the 512 raced at the 2 Hrs.
    of Daytona and the 24 Hrs. of LeMans in in Penske Sunoco colors.

4. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    nothing personal.....maybe this is a sore point just with me. Somebody out there is running around with a record book like that for my car, 4823. I have some records, but the majority have been sold, lost, or misplaced.
    I do recall the name from the Ferrari circles, and the seller's other auctions seem to be memorabilia and car related items.

5. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  6. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  7. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    This item appears to be a scrapbook of the restoration of this car, not anything that came with the car originally, so it wouldn't be considered something essential for a concours. It would be nice if the current owner knew about the item, however.

David Goerndt

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is this analagous to the owner who sells the car and retains the books, jack, tools, and key fob only to sell them on Ebay for thousands?

9. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    the balance of these records I bought years ago from Norman Silver and they were invaluable in the restoration of the car at Paul Russell's

The owner of the car really has no interest in what is for sale. This bs was part of a sales presentation when K White bought the car from Europe for Norman Silver I believe it was in the 70's

I had the important docs, importation, consumption of entry and I think maybe even an old title as I recall YEARS AGO

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    If anything, this thread and the publicity will raise interest (bid amount) with regard to the item. I swear I did not plan this out with the seller. (Mind wanders to Janet's Nipplegate publicity stunt)

thx
    luke

PS. Turns out the seller is quite an icon in the automotive world. Thanks to a fellow fchatter for the hint.

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Gee, thanks! Can I delete the thread now?;)

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Back in the Day, Kirk White lived in my area. He ran an annual car auction that had many unbelievable cars.

I went to three or four of these auctions, I believe they were in the late 60's or early 70's. I have a catalog somewhere, I'll have to dig it out.

DM

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    KFW lives here in Florida now! Who knew? KFW also owned the famous Gurney/Yates Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash 365GTB/4.

Jack

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Cool car... Cool history... The Princess had it for ten years then gave it to a guy in Alabama as a gift...

15. amorlando

amorlando Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    At area car shows with his collection of hot rods. He also recently published a book on his collection of tethered, small-scale, gas-powered race car models called "spin dizzies." He lives in New Smyrna Beach. You might see him at the Winter Park Concours this October. Great guy with lots of interesting stories.

KevFla

16. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Did a person by the name of John Clinnard, who worked for Ford, once own this vehicle? That is the name listed on some of this documentation.

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yes; only one 'n' in Clinard, though...

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul as an aside I had a long look at Todd's car and confirmed my trans and block conclusions that are in my 100 pages. Beautiful car.

19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    This kind of thing bothers me too, because about 25 years of records of my car were 'disappeared' by a dealership just before I got the car.....they're now 'enhancing' the history of another similar car.....