The FerrariChat GT4 Challenge: Round 3 | FerrariChat

The FerrariChat GT4 Challenge: Round 3

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JonBrent, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    #1 JonBrent, Mar 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By popular request:

The FerrariChat GT4 Challenge Round 3

As recommended by Mr. Mdo, a technical setup challenge: Honda S2000 at Suzuka

The Car: Honda S2000 Type V '03, priced at 37,000
    The Track: Suzuka Circuit (full)
    The Challenge: Best time. Post it, and if it's good, be prepared to show proof with a picture.

Modifications Allowed:
    Tires - Sport/S3/soft tires. (6,200)
    Transmission - NO mods
    Clutch/Flywheel/Differential - NO mods
    Nitrous - NOT allowed
    Engine - Stage II upgrade (12,000) and Chip (1,250)
    Brakes - Racing brake package (4,600), controller (10,300)
    Exhaust - Racing (4,600)
    Oil - yes, you can change the oil over at GT Auto
    Spoilers - NOT allowed
    Suspension - Full custom (16,000)
    Weight - Stage 1 & 2 (1,100 & 5,300)
    Tuning: All settings modifiable, but be sure to tell everyone what works!

You have till Midnight on Wednesday, April 6th at which point the winner will be declared and has first pick for the next challenge.

To start the challenge, set up your car, then use World Circuits and join up on a practice or track meet. If you can't afford the above, feel free to arcade mode it with the default car (S3 tires, power & weight mods ALLOWED), but indicate if this is how you are doing it when posting times. The car will be slightly heavier & a little down on power, but it's not too far off.

About the track: The course is 3.61 miles long, with some fast stretches and lots of technical corners. The official http://www.suzukacircuit.com map is below. If anyone has a driving guide, please post it.

BTW, Michael has won here 4 out of the last 5 years, although Rubino has the fastest lap at 1:32.730 - get cracking lads! (think 53 laps....)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. eps

eps Rookie

Sep 1, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason Knight
    Are we allowed to use the “Original” suspension? As far as I know, the only difference is you are not allowed to change the compression and decompression strength of the shocks independently. Only about 1k credits less.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    VERY cool. I'm glad you opted for the full suspension! Now I get to tweak this sucker out. Danke schoen!

4. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Um, sure, if you want - this is supposed to be for fun, but you know how bloody competitive some of the people are here!

I guess the 'allowed' mod list is to set an upper limit on what can be done, to keep things even.

5. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Very soon.... I'm going to trade in a few games this weekend and get ripped off but i don't care! I need this game!!!!!!!

6. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why dont you just trade in your "Yabbie" ???? :D

7. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Got in the 2'18xxx area after a couple of laps.

Guessing that its gonna take a 2'13.xxx to win this!

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Damn, I really hate this course.

9. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    It's a challenging one - I need to spend more time at it to get the line down (read: need a lap where I don't go off!).

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I'm not able to get sub 20's yet. I'm stuck at 2:21.644.

Stock Settings:
    driving aids - 10/10/5
    brakes - 3 / 3
    suspension:
    -- 6.4 / 5.8
    -- 19.5 / 11.5
    -- 8 / 8
    -- 8 / 8
    -- 2.0 / 1.0
    -- 0 / 0
    -- 4 / 4

My Current settings:
    driving aids - 5/5/3
    brakes - 8 / 10
    suspension:
    -- 12.5 / 12.5
    -- 86 / 86
    -- 9 / 9
    -- 9 / 9
    -- 3.6 / 2.4
    -- +1 / -1
    -- 6 / 6

Got any tips John? or others?

11. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I didn't adjust anything with the brakes.

But here are my other settings:
    Driving aids 5/5/2

6.4 5.8
    95 95
    - -
    4 4
    7 7
    3.0 2.0
    0 2
    4 4

Keep in mind that I honestly have NO clue as to what I am doing when making these adjustments. These were the only ones I have made, and I wouldn't even know how to improve upon them, LOL

It seems like the best way to save time is to nail the essess. I usually don't like tracks with them, so for this I am just trying to late apex most of the essess until I can get the proper line, it aint easy!

With this approach I was able to clock a 2'17.606 with a couple of mistakes and a few imperfect driving lines.

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The S's are where I'm losing most of the time. The rest of the course, I have nailed down pretty well but could improve within 2 seconds, give or take a few tenths. But that's it.

The adjustments look fine. I should probably try to loosen things up, as you did. I prefer the brakes a little stiff, and opted for that.

As for what you did, looks right. The rear toe, you want to be 'in', which you did. With this car, and most, when you come into a corner and you hit the brakes, the rear end comes up, and if you are turning at all in either direction, the tires will start to point outwards. By having it toe-IN, it keeps the car going straight. IIRC, on a BMW 3 series, it is one of the few cars which requires rear toe-OUT due to how it is setup.

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I have a pretty good understanding of the internal combustion engine.
    But suspension geometry always has been, and probably will be, witchcraft to me.

14. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Another tip, when it comes to suspension setups, but maybe not so much in this game.

Getting wheel hop or not able to plant the car as heavily? Reduce the amount of rebound on the shock. When you reduce the amount of rebound, the shock will not want to instantly kick back to it's fully extended position, where it will lose traction once again. With a softer rebound, it will cushion the car while it tries to plant the power down in the corner.

However, on some tracks (again not in this game necessarily), the corners will need all you can get by keeping the rebound outwards, before the tire bottoms out or to plant the power around a particular corner.

Well, hope this helps add to some of the suspension tuning this week.

15. 550Maranello575

550Maranello575 Formula 3

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    Oh my god.... I can't find Gran Turismo!! My dumb brother just took it out oh the PS2 and then set it on the floor. He isnt even supposed to play the PS2 because he broke the last one. But he went on anyways. And then my mom was cleaning up the house a little and she out GT4 not in its case thing........ I hope I can find it soon....

16. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    only down to a 2:20.1.

Andrew - best of luck in digging that up. I don't understand how it left the PS2 in the first place!

17. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I just got this game, traded in a few for it but it was games that I had already beat. Anyways, I havent tried this one because I dont have the money for an S2000. anyways, best of luck to all.

18. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    I haven't tackled this one yet, but I'd like to mention that my friend has an S2000 with 9 kg front and 12 kg rear springs. So (well not necessarily) don't be afraid to give this car a really stiff rear end if you are having trouble turning in. I've actually found that GT4 is very forgiving of suspension setups that would be a recipe for scary spin in real life.

By the way, what is the power rating of the spec S2000 for this challenge? Around 320 HP?

19. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Im in the process of doing the liscences and how the hell do you do the full guided lap of the ring? its impossible I tell you

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    indeed. I was lucky on my first try: 9:59.877. ha! just wait until you get into the IA license test for the ring.

21. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thats the one im on.... Anyways I got past that one today, now im on S class licesnce, boy are they fun. I cant even do the first one with out be five seconds back...grr

22. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    er.. yea, S is what I meant. on the graduation test for the S class, while you do have a faster car, you do need to get a faster time. took me a while, but it turns out to be quite a small course once you do it a handful of times.

23. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ive actually found that by watching various incar videos of 'ringing prior to GT4's release (GT3, M3 GTR, Ring Taxi's with Sabine etc...), i actually beat it first time. And same with the challenge tests that put you there as well...

Call it weird, but i think its a true testament to the quality of GT4. :)

24. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Hey all, hope noone minds me tagging along for the challenge. I've finally got some time to play.

This time has already been beaten I think, but my best effort so far has yielded a 2:18.9xx

happy racing

25. mdo

mdo Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    Bellmore, NY
    Full Name:
    Miguel Mascaro
    AHHHHHH....my own recommended challenge and i didnt put GT4 in my bag when i came back up to school (and i def need something to take my mind from these exams ;) ). I wish I had it here, that S2000 is very responsive to the settings, specially with the weight reduction.

anyways, here is a tip for those that may be trying to find a way to be quicker around the S's...i found that by stiffening up the rear end whenever im at Suzuka, i can control the rear end of the car a little better with the throttle (stiffening it up will help the rear end get a little looser...i like having that control). anyways, by being able to tighten ur line with the throttle, ull find that u have to hardly slow down mid corner to adjust ur line, so instead of left-foot breaking it while on the throttle, u can just give it a little more throttle and let the rear slide out a bit before u regain control.

have fun fellas!