355 owners/U guys upgrading or not? | FerrariChat

355 owners/U guys upgrading or not?

Discussion in '348/355' started by kimoSabe, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kimoSabe

kimoSabe Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    No CA
    Full Name:
    Ray C.
    When I had my 911 C4, I loved the car. But always had visions of a Turbo in my garage. But with the Porsche ladder, they are much easier to climb. Do you guys that own 355s always feel the need to upgrade? Do you always feel the need for more power? New technology? 4 more cylinders? When I get my 355, it will probably be my last and only F-car. Since I'm stretching it with my wifey already to get one, upgrading will be far and few. If i wait a few more years, a 360 may be possible (as savings+more depreciation will be in my favor). But I also want one NOW. Basically, whatever I get, I will keep for a while. I assume most of you can afford and will upgrade sometime in the future so it may be an issue for your guys. So are there some of you that will keep their 355s because you really love it? I personally like the 355 better (probably because it is what I can afford) but want to hear about your feelings on upgrading urges. TIA

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I have owned my 355 Spider for nearly 5 years and love it. The V12s do nothing for me, likewise the 360s, save for the CS. Now that would be an ideal upgrade, but not just yet i'm afraid ;)

3. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    I owned a 1996 355 spider and have upgraded to a 2002 360 spider. My biggest pet peeve with 355 spider is that everyday that I drive it, I raise the top while I play golf, then lover it when I get back in. I would never put the bonnet over the top, it was too much work to do everyday. With the cover off, the car just didn't look right. Everything was great about the car. I just wanted a newer version and it is on a truck headed for Sun Valley, ID. I can hardly wait.

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Never have liked that word upgrading, IMO the 360 is not an upgrade on the 355 just becourse its newer, thats just what it is a newer ferrari, a differant ferrari.I could have bought the 360 no probs but liked the lines of the 355, it never crossed my mind that the 360 was an upgrade becourse to me it was not, it was just another lusted after ferrari. If i was in a position to buy a F40,288 i would and not think that i was taking a step backwards even though i could have bought a F430. I often think about selling the 355 for a 1971 246 Dino, which i also think is not a step back, there all just another beautiful work of art. I would not have a problem selling my 355 and buying another 328 or the 348s.

5. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    greatly put.

the need for speed is definitely an issue, the 360 being faster, newer, more convenient? however, in my eyes, and in the eyes of many, not saying the 360 isn't beautiful, but a 355 looks much better. Also, the 355 (as I've read) has fewer electronic obstacles in the way of having a good time, and noone can deny that beautiful sound!

6. kimoSabe

kimoSabe Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    No CA
    Full Name:
    Ray C.

Point taken. I wouldn't consider a 355 to 246 Dino as a downgrade at all. That would almost be like me asking if you would upgrade a 250 GT California to an Enzo. But I'm sure a lot of owner's see the 308-348-355-360-430 ladder. At the same time, I don't own a Ferrari so what what do I know. Hence my original post for knowledge and personal input.

7. kimoSabe

kimoSabe Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    No CA
    Full Name:
    Ray C.
    Forgot to add the 328 to the ladder.

8. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    upgraded from a odb1 F355B to a CS. still have both for awhile thou.
    F355B is good enough of a ferrari. to most u really dont need to go much faster than that. its classic and beautiful, it sounds the best for a v8 fcar.
    the main reason(prolly the only reason) i upgraded to CS, is that when u really push the car, the CS gives u alot alot more confidence, the handling, braking, steering are all there for u.

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Now thats obvious becourse thats consumerism, people think that newer is better, but only time will tell. And IMO this can cause a form of snobbery in the ferrari comunity. I would gladly fall of the buy the newer ladder straight into the seat of a F40.
    A mate of mine has one of them porsche 911 things, its one of the last of the air cooled turbo 4s, he had bought one of the warter cooled ones last year and felt as though he had taken a step backwards so he went back to the air cooled. Horses for courses indeed.

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Upgrade if you feel the urge. If you have a good car and enjoy it, the additional expenditure may not be worth it. There is a lot to be said for a newer car too. In theory, less that will start to go wrong ;)

11. big kahuna

big kahuna Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    greensboro/bangkok
    Full Name:
    kelly hahn
    never say never, but i am quite smitten with my 355. the lines are and the sound (w/tubi), in my humble opinion, are untouchable.

12. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't get the itch to upgrade the 355 although I would be the first to admit the 360 is a better car in every way. Especially rigidity and refinement. I love the lines and tight size of the 355. It's not that powerfull but I even like that. You can rev it and have fun. Knock on wood, I've not had any problems with the car either. I've got a twin turbo Pcar with 450hp and really like it as well. Amazing performance and reliability but I like driving the 355 better. You're lower and it's just more emotive. I would always find garage space for a 550, 328, or 365gtb. For me, one of the fun things about having a FCar is that I see why other people really like the ones they have.

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I don't know what you mean by upgrade. I don't have any plans to sell the 355 at this time. I think the lines and style are pure Ferrari. Though, I might get another fcar down the road.

14. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I just did that exact "realignment". I, too, would not say it is necessarily an upgrade as there are things about the 355 that seem hard to beat(like the sound and the ass end view). But for me (6'3") it was cabin space that motivated the change, with performance coming next and lastly, I never liked popup headlights and the whole 355 front end seems dated. I am not dissing the car though, as I truly enjoy and admire the total car. Just sharing some reasons for changing.

15. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I bought based on appearance (my subjective call). Performance was secondary given that all of these cars are more capable than the average drivers ability. Money was not an issue. In my opinion, the 355 is a better looking car than the 360 or 430 (although I love them all).

16. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado
    The 355 is a beautiful car that will eventually qualify as a classic. I would "upgrade" from it to an F-40.

17. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    I have a F355 spider that I purchased after selling my 348ts two years ago.I didn't consider it an upgrade,just wanted a convertible.Drive a F355 and a 360 for comparison.1999 360 and 99 F355 prices are not that far apart if the 360 is a 6spd instead of a F1.About 30k difference.

18. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I agree w/ riverflyer regarding the pop-up headlights on the 355.....very dated. And, the 360 is a tighter, faster, better performing Ferrari than the 355. If it wasn't better, then they would have just taken the 355 componets and put them in a 360 body to make it look upgraded. To say it's not an imporvement would be overlooking technological advancements.

That being said, I love my 355. If you're thinking about waiting until you can afford a 360 I think your nuts! Get into Ferrari world. Get your 355 and you'll be in heaven.

19. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

A lot of people here (me included) would love to own one of each, but most of us have bought the model we like best taking into consideration what we can afford. It is truly a marque where each car has it's own personality both good and bad. They really are all desireable...(insert gt4 joke here...just kidding)

You will really enjoy the 355, it is fast and IMO looks great. Should keep you happy for qutie a while if that's what you are worried about.

Good luck, happy hunting

20. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself...

21. kimoSabe

kimoSabe Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    No CA
    Full Name:
    Ray C.
    All great points. Maybe upgrade was not the correct word around these woods. But i do hear the phrase "buy the newest you can afford". And true, coming from the P-world, I wouldn't buy anything above a 993 unless it was a GT3 or GT2. So all points well taken. Hopefully in the near future, I'll be asking abut where the meet and drives are going to be, or where can I find the best deals on parts instead of trying to sense the feelings through you guys. Thanks for all the input!!

22. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Ray check out the norcal section, we meet quite often.

23. kimoSabe

kimoSabe Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    No CA
    Full Name:
    Ray C.
    I noticed there's a Stockton group, which is where I grew up and still visit. I'll definitely meet up with you guys next time.

24. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Kimo,

I may be wrong...but I sense you are perhaps concerned that you'll buy the 355 and soon realize & wish you had just paid more and bought the 360?

Ya know what...I think the 355 is an excellent Ferrari that you'll always enjoy driving and never feel as if you sold yourself short of buying a high-performance car. I have a 355 and love it tremendously. Trust me: you can scare the hell out of yourself...there's plenty of power, handling and performance...and listening to that engine all wound-up is just awesome. The 360 is a better car, but the margin is not that tremenous AND plenty of 360 owners severly miss their 355, often saying it was more "fun" to drive (the 355 is more "raw").

Looking at the value: If you are looking for a coupe then buy the 360, if it's a spider you want...then the 355 is where I'd suggest you start. Just buy a Ferrari and the grins are guaranteed.

25. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Well put Steve. I may never sell my 99 355 Serie Fiorano...if anything, I would add a future Fcar...it's kinda cool to sit back and see how the Fcars evolve...and the pull the trigger on the one that captures you. If it's the 355 that captures you then pull the trigger...may people here would agree you made a great choice.

Best,

Todd