racing safety | FerrariChat

racing safety

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by CRG125, Mar 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I got into a discussion with one of my bodies about the most riskiest sports in the world. He said autoracing was one of them but not at the top of the list. Basketball, football and even baseball out did racing. No.1 was bull riding. I find this hard to believe, I thought autoracing would be up there, but then again if you take Nascar and IRL out of autoracing I guess its not that bad. How many of you race and what do you think?

2. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    You will find most "dangerous" sports are pretty safe. For the most part they are tightly controlled and knowing and expecting the risks you can plan for them. Conversely something like football half the fun is smashing the crap out of your opponent and your not really expecting the other guy to king hit you, head butt an opponent/ground, misstep/trip and sprain you ankle etc.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Most dangerous sport driving the 405 freeway by Santa Monica...too many idiots on cell phones!

4. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I agree 100%, but I think the most dangerous is the idiots on the cell phones while it is raining

5. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Brings to mind Hemingway's famous quote - there are only three sports in the world - Auto racing, Bull fighting and Mountain climbing. The rest are mere games. :)

Auto racing has improved immeasurably since the past few decades where in the past 10% of the drivers who partook in the racing season died while racing. The last death in F1 was in 1994 and since then there have only been broken bones and concussions since.

In my mind the sports that are inherently dangerous are:
    - Bullfighting
    - Mountain climbing (particularly the 8000m+ peaks)
    - Powerboat racing
    - any others?

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Remember the club level and all the other SCCA stuff. There still is a lot of dying out there. Just talk to the Meds at the track during your next club event. They can tell you. Dragracing is one of the very dangerous racing activities. There is always someone in NASCAR that dies in a given year testing etc.

F1 and INDY have gone very safe but that is because the money is behind that sport to do it. SCCA and other small time stuff is still very dangerous. Take Karting alone.

I am off to Sebring today for 5 days of driving :) see ya!

7. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Having attended many PBR events - bull riding is definitely the number one. Most importantly of all you are dealing with an intelligent living being not a mechanical piece of equipment. The rider's only protection is his vest and in some cases there are a few guys and gals that wear helmets which can be dangerous in their own right. They aren't wearing nomex, Snell rated helmets and aren't surrounded in a roll cage. Viva la bulls!

Carol

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    You have to define risk. Risk of what? Injury? Or death?

Sports like gymnastics and hockey have very high rates of injury (sprains, cuts, etc.), but low risk of death. Among those three, you're far more likely to get injured to some degree in gymnastics; you're far more likely to be scarred for life to some degree in hockey; you're far more likely to die in auto racing.

9. Insider

Insider Rookie

Mar 18, 2005
    41053 MO
    This came up on the Lotus 7 forum recently http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=78869.